Should I buy this as my first plane? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Should I buy this as my first plane?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Phil00722

Default Should I buy this as my first plane?

Hey guys,

I was going to buy the Super Cub as my first plane but it's pretty pricey. I've found another one here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RC-Radio-Contr...QQcmdZViewItem

What do you guys think? Will it be good to start with? Thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

My advise is to be very careful about buying planes from ebay sellers...

The Supercub is a tried and tested plane with a lot of people here who love it to the point of almost a cult following....hahahaha...It may be more expensive, but worth every penny (or pence if you are in the U.K. like that ebay seller you linked)

This is just my opinion, but I suspect you will get many people here saying the same thing.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Phil00722

Hmm yeah, I just wanted to know about the plane, im not buying it from ebay. There's plenty of stores that sell that plane, but I've found another one The Cessna 182 4ch Airplane, looks good and the reviews are good. It's only 20 cheaper than the Super Cub so I might dish out a little more...not sure though =/
Old 04-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I agree with Murph friend. Go with something that has a good track record... It's a proven plane. Good luck.

Mike
Old 04-24-2008, 07:08 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

I would also stick to 3-chan.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Originally Posted by Phil00722 View Post
Hmm yeah, I just wanted to know about the plane, im not buying it from ebay. There's plenty of stores that sell that plane, but I've found another one The Cessna 182 4ch Airplane, looks good and the reviews are good. It's only 20 cheaper than the Super Cub so I might dish out a little more...not sure though =/
I looked at the plane on the link....it is hard to tell from the photos, but the dowels that hold the rubber bands for wing mounting look to be at an angle....as if they are not all that strong or are a bit loose...

I watched the video on the link....it doesn't look totally horrible....But If it were me, I would likely choose a supercub....and you will get alot of support for flying, repairing and modifying the cub from members here.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Phil00722

Cub it is, thanks guys
Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

No Problem Phil....that's why we are here.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:54 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Made a good decision, Super Cub is a proven winner, before chosing a plane check for threads, if they aren't there your taking a gamble, the popular ones have loads of info on them as perform so well..another strong choice tho abit more than the Cub RTF is the Multiplex Easy Star, more of a glider but excellent trainer as well with over 30 minute flights that I can strongly vouch for...The Super Cub is an extremely stable trainer, nice size for the needed visual, even ground take offs with ease if you get the rear tail dragger wheel up, love the Cub..<>..An experienced pilot will make sure things are intrim and insure success, tho many have made it on thier own but be prepared for a few pilot errors on the learning curve, minor thumps, Cub tape fixes easily..<>..

Super Cub RTF $159

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_h...FQYNswodBm9n4g

Multiplex Easy Star RTF (Glider) $194.99

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFXV0&P=FR

Research and you may find even better pricing, have used the above sellers with great service, they come ready to fly just need AA batteries, I like to use re-charge NIMH as burn them espeically with 30 minutes flights now on the Easy Star...<>.

Good Luck

Super Cub, Night Flights
Stryker B
Parkzone Warbirds, Spitz
Multiplex Easy Star, Sunday Glider
Old 04-25-2008, 03:50 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

I was going to buy the Super Cub as my first plane but it's pretty pricey.
Uh... Super Cub pricey?! It's $150... and it's the only quality RTF in that price range, which is good for beginners. It is a rare bird indeed, but it's cheap. If $150 is pricey for you - maybe this isn't your thing... I've got parts that cost almost that much...

You can do this hobby on a budget, but you should plan to spend a good deal of money on things if you want quality. I don't think I have a single plane here that was less that $100 all-up, and I build from kits. If you want to save money in the long run, you might consider making a larger initial investment, and get some good radio equipment and Lipo batteries and the stuff to care for them.

My cheapest plane is the Yak-55, which was $20 for the kit. If I didn't have radio equipment, I would not have been able to save money by building that kit instead of getting an RTF with a radio. With RTFs, you are paying extra for the (crappy) radio, and if you get your own radio, you can spread that cost over all your planes.

I have a wide variety of planes, which I saved money on, because I had a radio. I've spent maybe $3-4K on this hobby so far, and I've got 10 planes in flying condition - so... average on those is $300 each. Some are more and some are less, but most are right around there when you add up the parts and average the cost of batteries over the whole fleet. I've got $700 worth of batteries sitting here.

Now that I say that it sounds completely ridiculous... that's a lot of money to spend on one thing in a little over one year - and now I have so many planes I need a new car to hold them all

It's an addiction - like drugs, but more healthy. I don't even think twice about dropping $75 for a battery anymore.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Phil00722

The Super Cub in the Uk isnt $150, it's 129.99 which is about $260, I'm not really ready to spend that much if I dont know how to fly.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:57 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

I've purchased too many of the cheaper planes and lost in the long run, only RTF plane I've ran into in the less expensive todate is the Firebird Phantom, stateside is $59 shipped, rather amazing, and yes it does fly extremely well but unfortunately is abit fast for the newcomer, dang thing climbs much faster than even the favored Super Cub, just concerned its speed will get the new guy in just more trouble, check the threads on the Phantom, off the chart, its indeed a winner but closer to the 2nd plane choice...<>..what will save a ton of expense is to find an experineced pilot, amazing when things are intrim its a lot easier...

Too bad the Super Cub is abit pricy over there as would make it for you, my first Cub went thru well over 200 flights and plenty of tape fixes with the abuse it took on the learning curve....

Pssst I purchased two Super Cubs as entered Night Flights for even more fun, so with two I spent over $300, more than your cost of the single one, yes this puppie is that good a flyer indeed...<>..heck may buy a third later on, who said this hobby was cheap, hi hi...<>.

And lets see my favored planes below todate total around, good heavens I really don't want to know..<>..hint my Styrker C same cost as Super Cub over there...<>.

Super Cub, Night Flights
Stryker B
Parkzone Warbirds, Spitz
Styrker C
Multiplex Easy Star, Sunday Glider
Old 04-25-2008, 01:25 PM
ganst949

From what I've seen, the Super Cub is a good plane. I can vouch for Hobbyzone being a great company. I had their Aerobird Extreme and am looking at buying their Cessna 206. I can only assume the Super Cub is the same quality. Look on [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx_ybRLlezw[/media] to see a nice flight. I cannot tell you whether this is a stock cub or not, but it looks like it flew nice.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:30 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

This forum it pretty amazing-power of collective intelligence (or is that pushing it?). Chances are if this group doesn't know about it, hasn't flown it, or doesn't like it a LOT, you don't want it.
My first plane was $150 and COMPLETELY wasted, wouldn't even fly. So cheap planes often really need to be bought 2x. The stories of newbies buying $75-100 planes and putting $300 into them before they finally give up the sport or get a 'real' plane that WILL fly is positively legion.
I bought a used Cub from a guy moving up. Flew it for months, then passed it on to a friend who really likes it (also has an Easy Star, Slow Stick, and Squirt). Too bad it's so expensive there but you will be hard pressed t find better.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:34 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

The Super Cub in the Uk isnt $150, it's 129.99 which is about $260, I'm not really ready to spend that much if I dont know how to fly.
Might as well get a radio and a Slow Stick...

The people on here really do know what they are saying. This is a tough choice though, and one you ultimately have to make yourself. Just keep in mind that if you plan to stay with the hobby it's only a trade-off between money now, or more money later. Personally, I prefer to make the higher initial investment and then save money later, rather than try to save money starting out and then end up spending more later.

Consider this: if you plan to continue in this hobby, you WILL need to get your own radio equipment eventually. If you do it now, you'll save money in the long run because you won't be paying for cheap radios, which you will eventually replace anyway.

We did the numbers on one of the threads around here somewhere, and the way it worked out was that, if you bought two RTFs, it would be more money spent than a decent 72MHz radio and two (much better quality) kits. So, you save money AND you have better quality planes.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:45 AM
linda.wong

http://www.rc-fever.com/walkera-rc-g...l-pr-3206.html

this airplane just need 99.99USD,I think it really worth to try it
Old 04-26-2008, 05:07 AM
tushev
HATE HOVERING

...New pilot ? You need EPP foam airplane - totaly bulletproof, ooo and pusher propeller, any 48" -60" flying wing.
One word - ZAGI
some video:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN-OEbUEHlI[/media]

Last edited by tushev; 04-26-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:20 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I've got $700 worth of batteries sitting here.

It's an addiction - like drugs, but more healthy. I don't even think twice about dropping $75 for a battery anymore.
Someone loves her Thunder Power batts.

Friends don't let friends buy their LiPos at the LHS.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:53 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
Someone loves her Thunder Power batts.

Friends don't let friends buy their LiPos at the LHS.
When I find something that works well, I stick with it. These TP batteries have never puffed or refused to charge or had any other problems. I've seen numerous off-brand batteries that club members had with major issues. They stab them with something and see if they catch fire, then they throw them away. I have not seen a puffed or un-chargeable TP battery, including the one that my friend flew into the lake.

I support my hobby shops. In most cases, the savings I could get online in offset by the shipping charges, and there is the convenience factor of getting something right now. One of the shops around here regularly has things for much less than online.

I got my Cessna 210 for $139 at the LHS - $10 less than from Horizon. Of course, I biffed it in the warehouse today, so I have to get a new wing, but the $10 I saved covers that. Silly fun flying inside with that thing - it bounces pretty good
Old 04-26-2008, 06:03 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by linda.wong View Post
http://www.rc-fever.com/walkera-rc-g...l-pr-3206.html

this airplane just need 99.99USD,I think it really worth to try it
You should be suspicious when something that is clearly a Cessna/Cub style plane is called a "Glider Toy" - I would not buy that.

It is only 17 inch wingspan, which means it's pretty much an indoor-only plane, and I seriously doubt that it is up to the quality level of this plane, which I absolutely love for indoor flying, and outdoor in NO wind.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3000

These tiny planes are not for beginners. They zoom around pretty fast and require quick reflexes. If you aren't flying on "instinct" then you won't be able to keep up with it. Also, they are worthless in any wind, meaning you'll be waiting for good times to fly it, or you'll be flying inside... near walls and other hard objects. This is not a good environment for beginners to practice.

A beginner plane should be 3-channels (rudder, elevator and throttle), should have the wings on top of the plane with everything hanging underneath for stability, and should be in the 36-48 inch range, and preferably slightly over-powered, which helps recover from stalls and reduces the chance of a stall in the first place. Foamys that fit this description are really good because they are easier to repair and less likely to suffer serious damage in a crash.

Zagis are not good for beginners. I did not find that funny. We are trying to give good advice here, and the beginners aren't going to see the joke in that post. Zagis are a pain even for experts. I've never seen one have a nice smooth takeoff - and we had an expert pilot fly one right into the crowd at an airshow last year. He couldn't get it launched right, and he never does, but once it gets going, it flies ok, but way too fast and way too maneuverable for a beginner.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Jas is correct, Both would be very poor choices for beginners.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:59 AM
tushev
HATE HOVERING

Phil if you dont like flying wings check "multiplex easystar" at http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm
there is video also.. This plane fly withaut pilot!
I dont have hobby shop and i'nt try to sale stuff. My furst plane was all EPP Zagi and is still around, in good health. Survive the tuffest meetings with wall and pavement and ooyeah, she is scary for the crowd. You will need some extra propellers and extra servo horns and soon you will be the best pilot around.
Check my stupid crash..
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8AnKm1QM_U[/media]
Old 04-26-2008, 05:17 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

When I find something that works well, I stick with it. These TP batteries have never puffed or refused to charge or had any other problems. I've seen numerous off-brand batteries that club members had with major issues. They stab them with something and see if they catch fire, then they throw them away. I have not seen a puffed or un-chargeable TP battery, including the one that my friend flew into the lake.
I've yet to have any of my LiPos fail or so much as puff yet. I currently have:

- 2 Loong Max 2250mah 25C 3S ($26/ea. + shipping) - 1 cycled around 30 times, the other cycle <10 times
- 2 Zippy 1000mah 20C 2S ($8/ea. + shipping) - Both cycled over 20 times
- 3 Zippy 1300mah 25C 3S ($11/ea. + shipping) - Just got these, only used 1 so far, cycled 3 times
- 2 SAPAC branded (I think they're Zippys, though) 1200mah 10C 3S (came with the Predator and Pitts) 1 cycled ~15 times, the other cycled ~10 times
- 2 Mystery 900mah 15C 2S ($8/ea., free shipping) - One still new in the packaging, the other cycled about 10 times
- 4 generic 1S 50mah LiPos that I use in my AeroSoar and Havoc Heli ($4/ea., free shipping) - Lost track of how many times I've cycled through the two of these I have in use; 2 still unused.

Granted, I guess my batteries still have too few cycles to be making any definitive statements with regard to their quality or longevity. But based on my experiences so far, I have zero complaints about any of the LiPos I've bought--so far, so good. The NiMHs, on the other hand... Oh the money I wasted.

I support my hobby shops. In most cases, the savings I could get online in offset by the shipping charges, and there is the convenience factor of getting something right now. One of the shops around here regularly has things for much less than online.
Well, then I'm going to put that down to you having a really good LHS nearby. I recall you saying that you can buy AR6100 (or was it AR6000?) Rx's from your LHS for around $40, which tells me that they must have some really good prices. The Hobbytown USA closest to me charges $30 for a 1000mah 2S, and $80 for a 2200mah 3S. I just can't justify paying that difference for LiPos (or brushless motors, ESCs, etc.). But I do buy lots of other things from them, like balsa, wire, props, landing gear, etc..

Now of course, if I had a Southeast RC within driving distance, I would gladly go and buy from them. They're not quite as cheap as Hong Kong for most things, even after shipping. But they're close enough that I'd be willing to pay a slight premium and avoid the 4-week wait for the order.

I could make the 40 mile drive into Nashville and visit the Hobby Lobby Intl. store/warehouse (and I have done that once). But with gas at $3.50/gallon, that's $10 in gas round trip that, along with sales tax (9.75% here), is more expensive than shipping from Hong Kong; although, again, I do get to walk out the store with the parts that day.

As it is, though, I buy most of my more expensive components (brushless motors, brushless ESCs, LiPos, receivers, etc.) from HobbyCity, DealExtreme, RVMShop, BigDotUncle, and even a few domestic online shops, and have just learned to be patient while waiting for the goodies to arrive at my door.

Of course, I also have to factor in providing for a family on a single income, so all my RC plane purchases have to be slipped in after all the other bills have been paid. We're not all living that singles party life some of ya'll are enjoying. (I'm looking at you, steve bub. )

Last edited by gzsfrk; 04-26-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:14 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

I have two teenagers and a dog, so I do try to save money on things, but I learned a long time ago that spending more for quality actually saves money in the long run. There are some rare exceptions where you get quality for a low price, but I don't do a lot of work to seek those out. Makes my life easier to just go ahead and pay the premium. I place a high value on my time, which is typical of middle-class folks with kids - we just don't have the time to go shopping around very much. Two of the hobby shops are on my way home from work, so that makes it very convenient, and if there's something they don't have, the other two shops are not very far away. However, I am beginning to think it's time to ditch the 10mpg sports car and get a hybrid. Yesterday I actually filled her up for the first time in a long time, and it was $55

I realize this is a little off-topic, so let me bring it back in. When you are choosing products, there is a lot more to think about than the quality and price. You have to consider things like availability of replacement parts, convenience of transporting the plane, storage options, and so on. This makes it very hard for us to recommend planes for particular people. Everyone has different budget considerations and time and convenience factors, and we can't help with that. In my personal opinion, the way a 'serious' beginner should start out is with a DX7 and a brushless-motor Slow Stick, but that's going to be about a $450 entry-level price tag. When you consider that you are eventually going to spend that money anyway, it makes little sense to postpone that expense and add on the expense of cheap RTFs. But again, that's me, and I can afford to do that kind of thing if I plan my budget correctly. I did get a Super Cub and a Blade CX2 for my kids - but when they are ready to step up to more serious stuff, I've got it already.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:02 PM
madwebtvscientist

Smile Best First Plane?

Phil, I like the quality of my $64.95 Accipiter Badius 3ch motor powered gliders so much that I have five (5) of them. There is an enormous amount of post material useful for beginners and experienced modelers alike that makes this airplane my all time favorite.

The AB has earned the right to be noticed. Check it out, you won't be
sorry.

madwebtvscientist

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this as my first plane?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14086 seconds with 9 queries