Need Help Purchasing First Plane! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Need Help Purchasing First Plane!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:25 AM
nychris2007

Default Need Help Purchasing First Plane!

I want to get a plane!

I went to my local hobby shop and the guy told me to choose between Aerobird 3 or Firebird Commander, are there other planes I should be looking at? I think I'd have more fun with a 3-channel plane am I correct? I need some input b/c I want to buy one soon! Thanks!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Welcome to WattFlyer!

Consider a HobbyZone Super Cub. This has been a successful "first plane" for many. This plane appeals to many folks who prefer a "scale looking" model.

Also, if you can go to a local flying club or can otherwise hook up with some experienced fliers, they can help you avoid some of the common beginner mistakes. Also, get yourself a flight sim. This can help get a feel for what it feels like to fly a model plane without crunching foam or breaking props. FMS is a popular free one.

Finally, read through the forums here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. We all love to help!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:01 AM
zook

Welcomb to wattflyer, Chris you will find this web to BE A great help in your flying needs, I to am new to this hobby, my first air craft is hobbyzone super cub I had no out side help orther than wattflyer. IT was the flight forums in this site to help me make MY decison on s/c. It has been A great craft. But be advised if you fly them you will crash!!!! The s/c takes a licking . CLEAR SKIES from the ZOOK
Old 04-23-2008, 01:14 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I will second the Hobbyzone Supercub its prob your best option to learn on...
I would advise against the Commander 2, 2-channel planes are a pain to fly...
Best advise for you is to pickup an esky (or similar brand) usb remote/sim for your computer... similar to this one.... http://www.nitroplanes.com/exrcflsitrki1.html at $20-$30 average price... they will help you out more than anything...

List of good first time beginner RTF planes I've actully tried and would be Ok with as a first time purchase...
#1 Hobbyzone Supercub - $150
#2 Multiplex easystar - $195
#3 Firbird Phantom - Provided you reinforce the tail boom before flying... $60

With all planes your first time flying should be under low wind...
SK
Old 04-23-2008, 01:22 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

http://www.xheli.com/e4chflsitrki.html here's the esky one in stock...
Sk
Old 04-23-2008, 02:17 AM
madwebtvscientist

Default First Plane!

nychris, welcome to the excitement and possibly some terror that can actually help intensify the excitement of learning to fly. You have picked a great time in history to start your model aviation career. There are so many good choices and modeling enthusiasts who are willing to help you that your success is virtually guaranteed.

In addition to the good information that is being provided on this and other WattFlyer threads, the included url will help bring up my responses to your question that has been asked and answered in different ways as new planes, etc., have come on line that you might find useful.

Please don't hesitate to ask any specific questions and you will get the most up to date answers that can be provided.

OFF WE GO INTO THE WILD BLUE YONDER!

madwebtvscientist

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Last edited by madwebtvscientist; 04-23-2008 at 02:53 AM. Reason: NEEDED TO FIX MY SMILEY PROBLEM
Old 04-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Leo L

Hi NYChris,

Welcome to R/C flying!

Based on your name I presume that you live in NY. What area? there could be some experienced flyers near you that could give you a hand with your first few flights.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 PM
nychris2007

I live on Long Island in Nassau County, Hicksville to be exact. I heard the Supercub is a slow plane, am I wrong? I think I will end up getting the Aerobird 3.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:37 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by nychris2007 View Post
I live on Long Island in Nassau County, Hicksville to be exact. I heard the Supercub is a slow plane, am I wrong? I think I will end up getting the Aerobird 3.
The Supercub Is A Fast Plane for a Beginner..lol, But It can be fixed up to fly fast later as you get better...
SK
Old 04-24-2008, 10:59 PM
gyrocptr

http://www.readytoflyfun.com/skyseekergt.html

The Skyseeker has foam wing and a really rugged, poly fuselage. It will withstand a lot of abuse. Check the video.
http://www.readytoflyfun.com/skgtvi.html
Old 04-24-2008, 11:07 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

I would go with either the Super Cub or Wild Hawk (same as easystar but $120 cheaper)

$70 RTF

http://www.raidentech.com/rtfwiha54el3.html