Brands to stay away from? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Brands to stay away from?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Rodney Ramjet

Default Brands to stay away from?

Are there any brands that are known for the poor performance of their products or you have tried and wouldn't buy again?

Particularly for a beginner such as myself what brands and what should a person look for when trying to get the highest quality for the lowest price?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

* Blue bird receivers
* Megatech anything
* Hobbico product
* GWS brushless motors
Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

I'll never buy an eflight motor again, the tower pro ones KV ratings exceed them, which means better performance and at a fraction of their costs if you go through the right supplier.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

DN lipos have a bad rep...I'm not sure I have ever heard anything good about them.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

FlyZone, which if I'm not mistaken is a Hobbico line of cheapo electrics. No first hand knowledge, but you won't find many on here singing their praises.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
I'll never buy an eflight motor again, the tower pro ones KV ratings exceed them, which means better performance and at a fraction of their costs if you go through the right supplier.
Are you saying to stay away from E-Flight motors due to "quality" or because you found one with the same quality for less money. I'm only asking because some people might get the wrong impression. It's my understanding that this thread was designed to steer people away from poor quality products. I mean no disrespect, just curious. Thanks friend.

Mike
Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
* Blue bird receivers
* Megatech anything
* Hobbico product
* GWS brushless motors
I own a Hobbico Nexstar but never heard anything bad about it. I have yet to maiden her, so I appreciate the heads up. I'll have to keep an extra eye out on her maiden. Thanks Laggard.

P.S. I had the FlyZone Skyfly and she was really underpowered. I'm not a very big fan of their products.

Mike
Old 03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
* Blue bird receivers
* Megatech anything
* Hobbico product
* GWS brushless motors
Originally Posted by mikewratterman View Post
I own a Hobbico Nexstar but never heard anything bad about it. I have yet to maiden her, so I appreciate the heads up. I'll have to keep an extra eye out on her maiden. Thanks Laggard.

P.S. I had the FlyZone Skyfly and she was really underpowered. I'm not a very big fan of their products.

Mike
Mike,

FWIW, I have the Hobbico Electristar, and could not say enough nice things about that plane. I had one Hobbico charger that was crap, but that plane is excellent.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

I have a Hobbico cutting mat. It works great! I have never cut my table when working on my mat.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Hobbico makes a ton of products and have been around a long time. I'm sure some of those products are lemons, but I don't think they are necessarily a brand to be avoided.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks guys. I just hope my Nexstar flies as good as your electristar gfdengine204.

Thanks for the input on the Hobbico products thing Fly Time. I'll make sure I research the products before I buy. You guys are awesome!! Thanks.

Mike
Old 03-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Diesel Dan
foam,balsa & rock 'n roll

Default Bad products...

..yea,do yourself a favor and avoid GWS/E-Flite ESCs....they will self toast...when you do everything right.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mikewratterman View Post
Thanks guys. I just hope my Nexstar flies as good as your electristar gfdengine204.

Thanks for the input on the Hobbico products thing Fly Time. I'll make sure I research the products before I buy. You guys are awesome!! Thanks.

Mike
Mike,

You'll do fine! Remember to take learning it in steps.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:12 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Why is the E-Flite motors on this list. Yes they cost a lot, but they are GREAT motors.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Mike,

You'll do fine! Remember to take learning it in steps.
Thanks gfdengine204. There's definitely alot to learn in this hobby. I guess once you start having good experiences with different products, you'll end up going with what works for YOU. Thanks for the encouragement friend.

Mike
Old 03-04-2008, 02:20 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Why is the E-Flite motors on this list. Yes they cost a lot, but they are GREAT motors.
WetBub :: I'm with you my bub,I've logged 150+ flites on my (40+$) 1/1,85 geared 400 brushed E-Flite on a 3cell lipo and she's still go'in strong, I have thier 480 brushed (60+$)that does GREAT! 400-450-480, Outies are the bomb, All my E-flite ESC's are bullet-proof,,Each his own I guess, I use alot of cheap stuff with good results too,your bub, steve
Old 03-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Battlemg

Mike, I started this hobby by purchasing the glow version of the Nexstar. First thing I did was install the sim software. Probably spent 30 hours just on the sim.. I once did touch and gos for 30 mins. I soloed on my second flight. The Nexstar is a good trainer. The thing can take a beating also. Use the sim and find an instructor to put ya on a buddy box.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:47 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I agree that Eflite products are great. I've got several ESC and motors, been running them a while now and all work wonderfully.

My Ultimate has a 480 outrunner and eflite ESC in it and it's been going for over 2 years now with nary a hitch.

I think the original question is worded in such a way that if everyone realistically listed a product they have had problems with you would not be able to buy anything RC related! It would all be junk.

Everyone makes a lemon every now and then but for the most part a lot of good companies have already been listed by folks who have bad results in some form or fashion.

Some folks will hammer Spektrum radios, I don't particularly care for Futaba, I know folks who despise Hitec, others hate JR... If they all chimed in you'd SOL for getting a radio...
Old 03-04-2008, 02:58 AM
djsyntaxerror
Gravitys turned on.......

Well to throw my 2 cents in...

I find it kinda funny that AIRHOGS can make a better and MUCH cheaper product then some of the other companies out there that claim to make a great product...
Old 03-04-2008, 03:02 AM
djsyntaxerror
Gravitys turned on.......

and I`ve actually been looking at the AIRHOGS "Jet scream" I`m debating on buying it just for the EDF`s...anyone got any info on them?? feel free to PM on it. I wanna use them to make something, i don`t know what, but something lol. Maybe a vtol using CX2 parts....i dunno...I`m open for suggestions
Old 03-04-2008, 03:04 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

airhogs products are good for their intended purpose... Toys.

They are low amp draw, low power, no moving control surfaces, for the most part (directional thrust) and not built to last. translated disposable.

I have had several of the bipes and yeah they are great little planes and work really well, but about every third one we would get would be junk and need to be returned
Old 03-04-2008, 03:09 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Good or Bad?

Hello Subknave, Welcome to Wattflyer!
I agree with Bill, just about every product or vendor that's been around for some time will have detractors, as we have seen already on this thread.
Generally, I believe you're better off sticking to the major brands/vendors at first. If you have a certain product or brand in mind, do a search (here) of the name and see what actual users have to say.
Which isn't to say some of the smaller companies or newer products won't be a good deal; Just save the "experiments" until you have more experience.
It might be more productive to find out which brands flyer like best. There are many threads like "Best Beginner plane" etc.
For vendors, I've always had great results from Hobby-Lobby.com. They sell practically everything related to electric flight, back their products without question and carry several of the top lines from Europe.
Also on my "Good Vendors" list would be Allerc + BPHobbies.
Good Luck and Good Flying!
Ron
Old 03-04-2008, 03:40 AM
Rodney Ramjet

Thank you for all the comments. Not knowing any better I have a Flyzone Cub J-3.
After I stop running it into things :o I'll see what I can find for a second plane. I really like this hobby and want to build a plane after I get a little experience flying.

As a followup question, who is your favorite vendor?
I have ordered a few things from tower hobbies but thats it for my experience although thanks to everyone here I have more bookmarked sites of vendors and information than I know what to do with.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

Favorite Vendors

BP Hobbies
Light Flight RC
Hobby People
Black Dog RC
Grayson Hobby
Old 03-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Favorite vendors (on-line):

Heads Up RC (eBay seller) for motors, servos, etc.
B-P-P.com for Berg Rx's, ESC,s and inrunner motors
Tower Hobbies for browsing and not buying
Hobby-Lobby for everything else

Quick Reply: Brands to stay away from?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15257 seconds with 11 queries