OK to use generic ACadapter on e-Sky LiPo charger? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

OK to use generic ACadapter on e-Sky LiPo charger?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:44 PM
isaksp00

Default OK to use generic ACadapter on e-Sky LiPo charger?

I have a cheap ($10 model) e-Sky LiPo charger on order, comes with cables for 12V battery input but no AC adapter. I have a few generic AC-DC adapters (black bricks) rated at 12V around the house, a few of which are in the 1Amp range (per the label). Assuming the round plug fits, and has correct polarity, I am wondering if these should work and are safe to use. One worry: the charger says it is rated for 12-15V input, and 2 of these generic adapters measure around 15.5 to 15.8 volts DC output. I am wondering if the voltage is only higher without load, or would these damage the charger?
Thanks!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Rodneh

It is highly unlikely to work, or if it kinda works, will not be reliable. Most of these wall warts are not well regulated if they have any regulation at all. Most are just half or full wave rectifiers with no filtering and use the internal impedance of the transformer windings to limit the voltage and current. It could possibly even damage your charger but that is not likely.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 PM
isaksp00

Boy, you folks are fast!

Thanks for this. I know I can buy a 12V brick from Radio Shack - any idea if this is any good for the charger? If not, do you know who sells one appropriate for it (I have not found any web site yet that seems to be the tech support and "where to find a dealer" for the e-Sky manufacturer)?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 PM
jdetray

As Rodneh said, you want a regulated 12V DC power supply. The actual output of such a supply is often 13.8V, the voltage of a typical automobile battery.

Charging is not 100% efficient, so the current rating of the power supply needs to be substantially greater than the maximum charge rate you will be using. If your charge rate is, say, 1 Amp, then you'll want a power supply that is at least 2 or 3 Amps.

But do yourself a favor and get a power supply that is larger than your present need. You will never regret owning a good 12V power supply. I suggest a minimum current rating of 10 Amps.

One popular brand is Pyramid power supplies, which are widely available online. Radio Shack has some decent units, too.

- Jeff