Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! - Page 99 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Old 10-19-2008, 04:05 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hi Radio! Welcome to WattFlyer!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Hello Radio and welcome to WattFlyer. The secret to more flying time is buy more batteries.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:13 AM
BEX

Welcome Radio , and buy them you will , it is pointless to resist.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:48 PM
greenflash
Greenflash

Hi, I just joined Wattflyer, I was already in RCU and RCW. I only have electrics, should have joined here first! I have a too-large collection now after re-entering this hobby a year ago. I think I visited the Tower scratchn'dent site a little too much!
I started on a Jr Falcon 1/2A glow with a Testor's single channel pulse proportional RC in the 70s along with control line and FF. Boy, have things come a long way. I have plenty of planes and helis I can't fly yet, just progressing gradually with a Slow Stick, Mini-Piper and sevearl Flyzone RTFs. My biggest issue is finding a field larger than a baseball diamond to fly the heavier but more wind-tolerant planes I own, here in overbuilt South Florida. I keep those planes in the car now when I'm driving in FL and GA, on the off-chance that I'll see an empty field without a no-trespassing sign on it - not many left!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:10 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by greenflash View Post
My biggest issue is finding a field larger than a baseball diamond to fly the heavier but more wind-tolerant planes I own, here in overbuilt South Florida. I keep those planes in the car now when I'm driving in FL and GA, on the off-chance that I'll see an empty field without a no-trespassing sign on it - not many left!
Welcome to Wattflyer. I know you are going to like it here.

If fields are your issue, have you checked into the AMA clubs in your area? You can look for them here:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

REMEMBER, THE ADDRESS LISTED IS NOT THE FLYING FIELD BUT A MEMBER'S HOUSE. So use a wider search and contact several clubs.

My club is listed 15 miles from my house, but the field is a mile away.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Hello wattflyer.com world! I'm excited to learn and share with other R/C folks on this website. I'm realizing a boy-hood dream of flying a whirly bird and loving every minute of it. If only batteries charged in 5 minutes instead of an hour+!
Welcome to Wattflyer

Assuming you are using lipos, some of the newer balancing chargers can charger some lipos at up to 3C, so you can get the charge time under 30 minutes. And, of course that is why we have multiple packs and multiple chargers.

When I go to the field I have chargers all over the place. I hate to be on the ground.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:44 PM
greenflash
Greenflash

Thanks for the reply Ed,
I'm an AMA member and I do visit the local fields to spectate; the Delray Beach club has a fine field just 5-10 miles away on the same street that I live, and the Ft Lauderdale Markham Park field is a very professional operation, with large competition events. I have models like the Parkzone T-28, EF Yak, H-L F-18 etc. that are best suited to these fields with runways. There is even a club that flies at a dump site in Pompano Beach nearby where you can actually slope soar in flat Florida, perfect for my Zagi and gliders. It's just that for my current learning stages, I like flying the e-trainers at my own pace in an empty field far from RC club fields. Once I'm fully confident, I'll certainly look into them.
Rick
Old 10-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default New Falcon?

Hello Rick, Welcome to Wattflyer!
you're right, flying sites close to home are hard to find!
Sounds like you have plenty of planes for now, but since you had a 1/2A Falcon before, you might be interested in these kits;
http://www.earlyrcmodels.com/id15.html 3 Sizes of Falcons, including the "Jr." Just right for a "400" electric conversion.
There are several kit makers re-kitting the "Vintage" and Old Timers, many are ready for electric. Here's some links;
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4326
Good Luck!
Ron
Old 10-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Hey Green and Radio welcome to the wonderful world of Wattheads!!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:49 AM
greenflash
Greenflash

Thanks for the vintage plane links Ron!

I saved them in case I can clear out space in my small closet by selling some kits. Right now it's full to the ceiling. Those Falcons and Skylarks bring back memories. I still like the traditional '70s pattern plane look, like the Phil Kraft Kwik-Fly. I could see an electrified Jr Falcon in my future, it'd be like going full circle. But I'll stick with today's radios.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:08 AM
greenflash
Greenflash

Thanks for the vintage plane links Ron!

I saved them in case I can clear out space in my small closet by selling some kits. Right now it's full to the ceiling. Those Falcons and Skylarks bring back memories. I still like the traditional '70s pattern plane look, like the Phil Kraft Kwik-Fly. I could see an electrified Jr Falcon in my future, it'd be like going full circle. But I'll stick with today's radios.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Radio Flyer
Vertically Challenged

info

Green,

I too am in the sunshine state of Florida! If you're looking for a place to fly, that's not an R/C field, how about the thousands of undeveloped neighborhoods that we're flooded with now. I can count three just on my 4 mile stretch of road. Plenty of paved roads without a single house in site.

The developers are usually some out of state money bag who bought the land during the boom and now he's busted with no way of getting rid of it. Might as well put it use instead of letting it rot away!

Just my two cents... but I'm not a lawyer
Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 AM
decolvin
New Flyer

Default Late Noob!

I'm a bit late coming to this thread. I've made about 30 posts to the forums, most of them about my Electristar trainer. Still only have about three flight under my belt (all with an instructor). Keep hoping to get some clear flying time, but events, weather, & work continually conspire against me. I loved flying control line as a young man, & always wanted to do RC. The electrics are amazing to me. I definitely do not miss the smell a mess of fuel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0013.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	81191   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0011.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	81192  
Old 10-21-2008, 04:16 PM
haybale22

Hi, My name is Mark and I fly RC planes.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:48 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Welcome Mark. What kinds of planes do you fly? Are you a new flyers or an old hand at this?

decolvin,

Also welcome. Glad you have an instructor to help you. Most people progress faster and with less plane damage working with an instructor. I hope you solo real soon.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:58 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by greenflash View Post
Thanks for the reply Ed,
I'm an AMA member and I do visit the local fields to spectate; the Delray Beach club has a fine field just 5-10 miles away on the same street that I live, and the Ft Lauderdale Markham Park field is a very professional operation, with large competition events. I have models like the Parkzone T-28, EF Yak, H-L F-18 etc. that are best suited to these fields with runways. There is even a club that flies at a dump site in Pompano Beach nearby where you can actually slope soar in flat Florida, perfect for my Zagi and gliders. It's just that for my current learning stages, I like flying the e-trainers at my own pace in an empty field far from RC club fields. Once I'm fully confident, I'll certainly look into them.
Rick
Just one note of caution for you and others who might read this. I am sure you are very careful about radio conflict, but you may not know the range of your radio.

Many 27 MHz radios advertise 2500 foot range, but they may actually be able to interfere with another plane as much as a mile away, especially in flight.

72 MHz systems are often speced at about 1 mile range, or visual range, but AMA recomends that AMA fields be at least 3 miles apart to insure no interference.

So just keep these things in mind if you are flying away from an AMA field. Know where the fields are in your area, even if you won't be flying with them. This includes when you are working in your back-yard.

Also be aware of non-club areas where flyers tend to congregate. This could be baseball fields, sports fields, open land or whatever. If you are flying there, others may fly there too.

If you are flying 2.4 GHz, this issues goes away. I encourage all new flyers to go to 2.4 GHz to avoid this issue on and off the club field.

Just something to keep in mind so you don't bring someone else down or find you have an unexplained crash that could have been caused by interference from an "unknown" source.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:43 PM
haybale22

I just started this summer. Picked up a Multiplex Easy Star which has been fun. Going to try my first kit from Mountain Models over the winter.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:28 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by haybale22 View Post
I just started this summer. Picked up a Multiplex Easy Star which has been fun. Going to try my first kit from Mountain Models over the winter.
Hi Mark, welcome to Wattflyer! I started 2 yrs ago with an EasyStar and it was a fantastic trainer for me.

When you build your Mountain Models plane, please consider photographing your progress and post a build thread here; we would love to see your progress!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
greenflash
Greenflash

Ed, Thanks for the interference reminder. The small park I fly (I've never seen anyone else there yet- most of the time all the fields are full of ballplayers). at is 10 miles further away than home from the nearest RC field, so I think things are fine. When I'm building and testing models at home (prob. 5-10 miles from the field), I'd have the Tx antenna collapsed. The only flying in my backyard is with a CX2 heli which is on 2.4.
I'd never want to be responsible for a shoot-down. But these are all good things for people to keep in mind.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Petrik59

Hi,
Nice looking forum you have here.
I'm new to this and I try to learn as much as I can by reading the forum.
I started this Winter with some indor flying here in Sweden with my two kids, but I'm a really bad flyer. My youngest kid (9 year Boy) is flying a Cessna minium indors and my oldest (17 Yer Gerl) is flying a EasyStar and both of them are starting
to manage it pretty god.
I started with a Depron plane (think it is called Flatout FA3) but I spent most of my time gluing it together, but maybe I can learn to master it in the future.
These "flaouts" don't relly fly, it's more like they are been dragged arond by the motor.
I have tried some Wingdragon flying outside this summer and that went a a bit better. Thats more of a easy and cool flying. I can eaven take my hands of the controls for a second it will keep glide pretty nice.
I have a couple of building projects that I will start on this winter both of the built in Depron.
First it is the FoldTimer and the next one is the ParasollWing.
I am a bit in for the old timer look.
Pictures is in my "public album".

Se you
Old 10-24-2008, 09:24 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Welcome Petrik.

Don't be surprised if the kids out shine you soon. They tend to learn faster than us older guys.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:21 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Hello wattflyer.com world! I'm excited to learn and share with other R/C folks on this website. I'm realizing a boy-hood dream of flying a whirly bird and loving every minute of it. If only batteries charged in 5 minutes instead of an hour+!

"Kid At Heart" huh? Well, IMO, you couldn't have chosen a better handle LOL!

Welcome to WF, and you can charge batteries in five minutes. They aren't good for much other than flares though...
Old 10-25-2008, 05:12 AM
rcjody

Default Hello Everybody I'm A New Member Here!

Hi Everybody!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:14 AM
rcjody

I'll try to post some of my flying vids
Old 10-25-2008, 05:14 AM
rcjody

Hello Eveybody,
This is RCFEIND,
I'm New to this Forum, Ive been into rc aircraft for some time now & I wanted to share some of my videos from you tube.
I have videos on Heli & RC Airplanes , there are some fun videos and there are also how to mod & repair videos. I also Made the music in all my videos myself.

You Can find me at you tube : rcfeind

Or you can find the new thread I am ging to start.

RCFEIND

Last edited by rcjody; 10-28-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Removed links that I will use on my new post

Quick Reply: Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10298 seconds with 13 queries