Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! - Page 151 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Old 02-05-2011, 01:03 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

Welcome back to the addiction 70's and Brian.

Lots of very nice folks here as well as a whole lot of information to help get you back into the hobby along with easing you into the excitement and of electric flight.

Last edited by offtom; 02-05-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

I'm back, saying hello to old friends, and welcoming new ones.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Saucerguy2 View Post
I'm back, saying hello to old friends, and welcoming new ones.
Great googly moogly! Talk about a voice from the past . Welcome back Brian, it's been awhile .
Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

smokejohnson thanks buddy, it's been a while, much has happened in between then and now. Still bashing planes together of course, lol. What have you been up to?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Default Re: Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Raising babies and trying to stay out of trouble .

Your P-40 is still flying over the skies of Tulsa. I can't remember if I sold it or traded something but I still see it out at the field every once in awhile.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Raising babies and trying to stay out of trouble .

Your P-40 is still flying over the skies of Tulsa. I can't remember if I sold it or traded something but I still see it out at the field every once in awhile.
That's good news James. I lost my plans and jigs during the many moves I've gone through, so what ever is out there, that's it for that run. I plan upon taking things up a notch the next time I get into these, but for now, am glad there are some alternative versions of the p40 still tearing up the sky., You did a very good job on it I must say!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 PM
bdel
bdel

I'm a newbee, but love this messaging. Maybe someday, I can speak with some experience. For now enjoy what you pilots talk about.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Originally Posted by bdel View Post
I'm a newbee, but love this messaging. Maybe someday, I can speak with some experience. For now enjoy what you pilots talk about.
Welcome to WattFlyer...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Hey! Welcome!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:50 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

You'll be jawjacking and bull sitting with the best of them in no time.

Welcome.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
jeholliday

We all have been newbies at one time or another. Been playing with model planes since I was old enough to hold a single edge razor blade and the old Duco Household Cement. This electric stuff is still new to me. Have a twin that is yet to get airborne as I am too busy with the other stuff. DOC Holliday
Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 PM
70sflyer

Hi Doc,Your on the same page as me,I flew tons of control line when I was small.As a adult in the 70s started RC.I quit for about 30 years and now back at it with these clean,quiet electrics,and im loving it.I also have a twin that I hope to get up this summer.Wattflyer is the best,,,Dean
Old 02-10-2011, 11:09 PM
bdel
bdel

Default Looking for warm weather

Hi guys, can't wait for flying weather. I'v'e got a cessan 182 ready to go. want to fly it. Had some experienced pilots get in the air for me. I flew it, but had problem landing-it didn't rekit so I guess that is okay. Also, got a slow-flyer for the new season. Got more palnes than I can fly-takeoff,fly,land.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 AM
bdel
bdel

Default The unclub sounds great

I'm form Cleveland Ohio area. Finding space can be a "trip", but am a member of 3 clubs just so I have a place to fly either near the city (Cleveland), or about 23 miles away, or about 35 miles away. It souns great near Tulsa.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:27 PM
bdel
bdel

Default slo fly

Just entered a message about slo flying and a local company called lazertoyz, but can't find my reply on the thread?
bdel
Old 02-16-2011, 04:12 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Thumbs up

Welcome R1zbear and bdel I hope you enjoy your stay, it's a great community we have here.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:28 AM
zzlentz

Welcome to all!!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:46 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Hi julia and bdel!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 AM
RCFlyer44

I'm form Cleveland Ohio area. Finding space can be a "trip", but am a member of 3 clubs just so I have a place to fly either near the city (Cleveland), or about 23 miles away, or about 35 miles away. It souns great near Tulsa.
Just curious which side of Cleveland, I grew up on the West Side about the same distance away in North Ridgeville, also lived in Brook Park for a long time when I was even younger.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Nexnz

Hi All, another newbie here to say hello.
Just want to say thanks as this seems to be a great resource for all. (I have been feroiciously reading this site for a couple of weeks now)
I've only flown a glider 3 times but am preparing to buy a Cessna 182 or Cub and cant wait to get into this hobby.

Hello from New Zealand!!.... (Not sure if any kiwis on here)

Nexnz
Old 02-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Tsavah
Watt Waster

Hello and I hope to share experiences, and ideas in the days ahead. Been getting back into the RC hobby after 20+ years, but I am pretty sure I will stay electric this time around. The first time, a long time ago, I built a Falcon 56 (gas, Carl Goldburg kit), crashed it and didn't do much more since. Was a tad too busy with life concerns and dreams until last year. Flown a few of the indoor recently and have one outdoor trainer - The FlyLite by ElectriFly. It has proven to be a tuff foamy, and fun to fly. You do have to avoid winds over 6 mph, or it might flip in a crosswind during take off or landing. I have a 300 size motor in mine (RimFire, 250 sized motor recommended) and tend to use 900 mAh 2cell battery packs for flight times averaging 10 minutes, if I manage the throttle. I normally fly at half throttle so I can fly longer before the battery putters out.

Today I am working on 5 RC projects; some repairs and a few newer projects in progress. The mini Albatros needed some repairs from the indoor fly in a University gym a few months back, and I wanted to add a few new birds to the near empty hanger. My main birds have been the Ember 2, mini Albatros (Flyzone) and the FlyLite. I have a piper cub (OD Green, military) in the works, a "Foam Cup Technology" creation started (to be a Bristol M1c, more or less), a Foss Paper Airplane (means fake, made out of foam board) started, and an indoor Raptor Gs started. Have another dozen kits to start in the near future, which should keep me busy for a year or two.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:09 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Welcome all of you to the best watt site on the internet great folks and help.

Nexnz there are some Kiwis on the site to might find some live close to ya.
John
Old 02-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Howdy folks! Welcome to WF!
Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 PM
SARG5
SARG5

Hello TSAVAH
SARG5 from Kansas here.
I too had hung everything [old nitro] up for about 25/30 years. Picked up a MODEL AIRPLANE mag 2 years ago. Saw this new thing about E-flying. Asked around to some of the old timers still flying. They all put E-flying down. Went to the only Hobby shop about 85 miles away. He also put E-flying down. SO, I DUSTED OFF 3 OF MY OLD NITRO, Purchased another Trainer. Started in. After 14 flights on the trainer, 13 Dead Stick landings, THEN THE LAST ONE INTO A CREEK. I said enough. Went all Elect.
I am flying nothing but
MULTIPLEX planes.
First one was EasyStar -- my trainer, love it. It will take a beating and keep flying.
Second. Magister -- They no longer make this plane, it is still in the hanger.
#3 is the FUN CUB. -- In the hanger and read to go.
So this is my suggestions -- Nothing but Elect. and Nothing but Multiplex.
SARG5
FROM KANSAS
SEEING AND FLYING MULTIPLEX IN THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND
Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Tsavah
Watt Waster

Lightbulb Learning Electrics

I can understand the newer, all electric RC model aircraft inerds can be a bit of a mystery for an old gasser. As it turns out there is very little mystery hidden from the Internet roamer and that includes the electric inerds of an RC model airplane. There are charts available on just about anything one might want to ponder and if you are building a kit RC aircraft model, the plans or box often tells you what else is needed. As long as you follow the recommendations of the kit maker, it is harder to mess up. Most RC aircraft hobby shop websites list what else is needed for the shopper.

Then there are some among us who buy really old kits with brushed motors, no motor, and no recommendations are included from strangers, eBay, and such places. Some scratch build models to feed the desires for something different, or do swap shops, yard sales, and other risky investments. Let's not forget the experimenters who start gluing materials together to see what they can creat and then need all the help possible to figure out which motor, ESC, and battery pack would work to power their creation off the ground for more than a minute. From where I am setting, I can claim to fit into all of the above categories and maybe a few more.

I found one web site that lists by motor makers model numbers what is needed to use that motor and how many amperes it requires the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) to handle. Other web sites will tell you which motors to use by rating the weight of the model. Even Youtube has video presentations on the subject and recommendations. Check out the provided web site chart; WWWdotPROGRESSIVERCdotCOM/BRUSHLESS_MOTORdotHTML. Notice all one needs to know is the identification numbers on the motor's label to find the needed ESC and battery pack requirements.

If your motor doesn't have a label, that changes the game into guessing which motor it should be. One rule of thumb that is helpful is to remember a higher rated ESC is often better just in case you change from the recommended propeller and forget to insure the amperage rating on the ESC is high enough. Of course the best way to check out how many amps a motor will draw with a specific propeller is by a test bench designed to provide the information. Once again Youtube and other web sites provide the "How to ..." video to accomplish this if you are more adverturous and have a strong enough desire to know more.

Quick Reply: Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10609 seconds with 11 queries