Gws Pt17 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Gws Pt17

Old 08-14-2007, 06:18 PM
joelau

Default Gws Pt17

Any comments on GWS PT17, I want to buy one, is it good for beginners.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

I don't have any experience with this bird. If you're a raw beginner who's never flown a plane before, I would definitely avoid this and get a high-wing trainer, such as the Multiplex Easy Star or (my personal favorite) the Hobbyzone Super Cub. The Wing Dragon is also spoken well of.
If you're not an utterly raw beginner, what experience do you have with planes?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

I had one a while ago, and would agree with the above poster - It has no dihedral and airlerons, so would be terrible for a first plane.

On a side note, with the stock power system, it barely and I mean barely flys. It is almost manditory to upgrade to lipo and brushless. After I installed a Himax 2015 and 1350 3s lipo, the plane was much better and I had a blast with it till after about 50 flights, I came in too low on a full throttle pass and ran into the flying field wind sock.

If you have flown before, then I say get it, but only if you can afford the brushless upgrade. Otherwise, go a different route.

Almost all of the GWS planes I have had, except a slow stick, were alot of fun, but basically useless without brushless power.

Of course this is just one mans opinion.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:47 AM
joelau

Thanks for the comments. This is not my first plane, I have a supercub and a wing dragon. I found them both are very good for beginners. I put a brushless motor on the supercub and it works so good and I have a lot of fun flying it. Now I retire my supercub and prepare to put the brushless motor on the PT17, I hope it will be fun to fly it with the more powerful motor.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:01 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Why retire a plane you're having "a lot of fun" with? Keep the Super Cub set up, so if you have a problem with this new one, you won't be sitting out at the field with nothing to fly. I have a Slow Stick and a Stryker that are working perfectly, and I will never harvest their parts as long as I'm still having fun with them. I have another plane I'm ready to set on fire though, and I'll definitely harvest the servos and such from that one.

As for that PT17, it looks like a decent biplane, but I haven't heard good things about it. If it comes with a motor, I would try using that first, so at least you don't kill your nice brushless motor in a crash. An overpowered first flight is not a good thing... if something goes wrong, you won't have time to react. I say this from painful experience. Start slow with it, and then once you get it figured out, you can upgrade it. Biplanes fly a little better at slower speeds anyway I think.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:47 AM
yossarian

Originally Posted by joelau View Post
Thanks for the comments. This is not my first plane, I have a supercub and a wing dragon. I found them both are very good for beginners. I put a brushless motor on the supercub and it works so good and I have a lot of fun flying it. Now I retire my supercub and prepare to put the brushless motor on the PT17, I hope it will be fun to fly it with the more powerful motor.

I've got a friend with the GWS pt17 and it's a great flyer with a brushless on there. The build is a little tricky he says, it's not so easy to get the wings at the same angle, which is of critical importance on a biplane. It will be very hard to fly if this is not just right. It kinda disuaded me from getting iot my self, because it looks awesome in the air.
If you are a good builder, I'd say go for it. Or at least get an experienced builder to help with the wings.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:41 PM
joelau

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Why retire a plane you're having "a lot of fun" with? Keep the Super Cub set up, so if you have a problem with this new one, you won't be sitting out at the field with nothing to fly. I have a Slow Stick and a Stryker that are working perfectly, and I will never harvest their parts as long as I'm still having fun with them. I have another plane I'm ready to set on fire though, and I'll definitely harvest the servos and such from that one.

As for that PT17, it looks like a decent biplane, but I haven't heard good things about it. If it comes with a motor, I would try using that first, so at least you don't kill your nice brushless motor in a crash. An overpowered first flight is not a good thing... if something goes wrong, you won't have time to react. I say this from painful experience. Start slow with it, and then once you get it figured out, you can upgrade it. Biplanes fly a little better at slower speeds anyway I think.
My super cub has survived many crashes , I was able to fix it everytime. However the last crash seriously damaged the supercub that's why I thought that is time to retire it and harvest everything for another plane.
A friend of mine will help me to build and upgrade the PT17. I agree with you that an overpowered first flight will be an painful experience but I will try my best to keep it under control,thanks for the advice.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:45 PM
joelau

Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
I've got a friend with the GWS pt17 and it's a great flyer with a brushless on there. The build is a little tricky he says, it's not so easy to get the wings at the same angle, which is of critical importance on a biplane. It will be very hard to fly if this is not just right. It kinda disuaded me from getting iot my self, because it looks awesome in the air.
If you are a good builder, I'd say go for it. Or at least get an experienced builder to help with the wings.
How will you friend comment on the PT17 during high and low speed flight ? Did he find it hard to control?
Old 08-15-2007, 05:45 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

My super cub has survived many crashes , I was able to fix it everytime. However the last crash seriously damaged the supercub that's why I thought that is time to retire it and harvest everything for another plane.
A friend of mine will help me to build and upgrade the PT17. I agree with you that an overpowered first flight will be an painful experience but I will try my best to keep it under control,thanks for the advice.
Yeah I guess if it's damaged beyond repair that makes sense. Sounded like you were going to take a perfectly good plane and rip it all up
Old 08-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

I would disagree with the above poster. I found the stock powerplan on the PT17 to be very inadequate and made the model much more difficult to control.

I had alot of fun with mine, but it has to run on brushless power.

Becareful of the weight balance, I had to add quite a bit of nose weight.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:04 AM
joelau

Default pt17

Originally Posted by Reformed Nitroaddict View Post
I would disagree with the above poster. I found the stock powerplan on the PT17 to be very inadequate and made the model much more difficult to control.

I had alot of fun with mine, but it has to run on brushless power.

Becareful of the weight balance, I had to add quite a bit of nose weight.
What kind of motor you use on your PT17, somebody suggest a E-flite 480, what do you think ? would that be two powerful for the PT17.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:45 AM
yossarian

How will you friend comment on the PT17 during high and low speed flight ? Did he find it hard to control?
Well it wasn't super fast, if I remember correctly he had some kind of cheapie outrunner BL motor on there. Maybe a Tower Pro 4909 of some flavor, should only cost about 20 dollars. It was certainly not overpowered or super fast, but had tons of thrust with a good sized prop. He could pretty much hang it on it's prop for some great looking aerobatics, but it wasn't so powerful that he had unlimited vertical. It seemed like a great compromise. Plus, it looks so good flying by you don't really want to to be as fast as a pitts. It's an older scale job anyway.

He flies it everytime I see him at the field and it just really seems like a nice gentle flier with a little more power because of the BL motor and lipo. It won't self correct like a trainer you might be used to, but on a calm day, it would be a good aileron trainer I'd think. I'd hate for you to get it and destroy it on it's maiden, so definetly put some sim time in if you can, if anything it gives your brain some practice on orientation with your new plane.

PS- Remember that both wings have to have the correct angle, this is critical on bi-planes and from what I hear, the GWS pt17 is notoriously difficult to get the wings just right. That's why I suggested getting an experienced builder friend to help with that part of the build. So maybe on that note, it might not be a good 'next plane' unless you are very confident in your building skills.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

What kind of motor you use on your PT17, somebody suggest a E-flite 480, what do you think ? would that be two powerful for the PT17.

Good lord man! I think that motor would rip the wings off. I use that motor on my Extra 260, and it weighs about 30oz. On the wattmeter with the 480 - 345watts, 28amps, 12.1volts.

I think the absolute largest I would go on the PT17 would be a himax 2025 or eflite 400. Anything larger than that would either overpower it and rip the wings off, or just weigh too much and increase the wing loading .
Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 PM
joelau

I have a park 400 motor, it has been working fine. This morning the motor wount spin and when I took the prop off, it spins again. I put the prop back on, the motor would only spin very gently and stopped by itself even I put full throttle. After a few times, the motor turns very hot. Anybody knows why or had the similar experience. How do you fix this ??
Old 06-05-2009, 01:47 PM
cliffh

Originally Posted by Reformed Nitroaddict View Post
(snip)
Almost all of the GWS planes I have had, except a slow stick, were alot of fun, but basically useless without brushless power.

Of course this is just one mans opinion.

There are some exceptions to this. The big Tiger Moth 400 flew very well with the stock 400 brushed motor and 3 cell lipo power. After a couple hundred flights, I did upgrade to a brushless as 200 flights is a good long life for a brushed motor.

Also, the little BN2 Islander is very fast and a great flier with the stock brushed motors and 2 cell lipo power.

Cliff
Old 06-05-2009, 01:52 PM
cliffh

After reading literally thousands of posts on this board, I've noticed a common trend.

Joe pilot buys a nice plane.

Joe pilot puts a HUGE honking motor on it.

Joe pilot crashes above plane because it handles like crap.

.....a HUGE honking motor will NOT make up for poor piloting skills. Don't over do it!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

You are right about that... I see a lot of people over-powering planes. Even if you want to fly 3D, too much power can just make it fly like crap. I just got a Seawind, and everybody said "you'll need to upgrade the motor, it flies like crap up here in Colorado" - but I think those people just don't know how to fly... I had the elevator servo lock up on the 6th flight, but the power system was more than adequate.

"Stock" Seawind, in Colorado...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6-iZisLgf8[/media]

But look at how I'm flying it... very "scale" except for the rolls... it will stall if you pull too much elevator or something.