Using generic spade connectors for battery? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Using generic spade connectors for battery?

Old 07-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Default Using generic spade connectors for battery?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace my Super Cubs plastic connectors with good quality single spade connectors?

I will have no problems with mixing up polarity, I just want to know any other potential drawbacks.

Larry
Old 07-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!

Originally Posted by Larry G View Post
Is there any reason why I shouldn't replace my Super Cubs plastic connectors with good quality single spade connectors?

I will have no problems with mixing up polarity, I just want to know any other potential drawbacks.

Larry
Ultimately anything that provides a good, solid electrical connection will work. However, my experience with spade connectors is that they're very 'grabby' and are really intended for semi-permanent installation since they can be kind of hard to pull apart.

I'd recommend that you pick up either dean's ultra or polarized mini deans and solder them on, since they are a de-facto industry standard.

There's a few other connectors out there that are popular, but Dean's seem to be available everywhere.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

You're talking 1/4" Home Depot style spade connectors, yes? Those are definitely not meant to be detached frequently, and the quality of the connection will suffer after just a few cycles. I can't word what happens without it coming out all wrong, but suffice it to say the connection will get loose and unreliable, and the metal can only be tightened up so many times before it becomes work-hardened and cracks.

Also, don't count on yourself to be able to keep the polarity straight. I said I could keep the polarity straight and used non-polarized Dean's micro connectors when I was getting into electrics... Say, does anyone smell smoke?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:58 AM
batman

My thoughts exactly, Matt.