OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :) - Page 83 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Old 06-19-2016, 09:45 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

What a weekend!....the speedshark yesterday,and I rolled the 650 tarot sport over with very little damage. In fact i fixed the Tarot in the evening when I got home.

Today I flew the Tarot and it hovered perfectly in gps mode. locked in wonderfully. Then went to atti mode and flew down the field wearing fpv goggles when all of a sudden it went crazy all on it's own. Hit hard and broke an arm,the battery tray,and the cowel is wrecked. the gps mast broke along with a few other misc parts. best bet is replacing the frame and cowel through Gothelirc for $152 shipped. this will leave me many future replacement parts on the damaged frame and the comfort of knowing everything will be newly installed and checked out aand reprogramed. This has been one of my favorit parts of fpving. the Tarot has been rock solid in perforomance until yesturday. parts are on order....Happy fathers day!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2016, 10:21 PM
birdDog
Charging....

It must be something in the air. Shark stayed on lockdown today due to the high air temps. A friend had his viper 500 and radar-ed at 155mph. I think the shark will take him.

Slammed my Valuehobby 48" Sbach into a the 3' tall "grass" at the edge of the field. Looks as if a cat took two bites out the EPP on the leading edge of the right wing. Shrugged it off (man I'm starting to like this EPP stuff). A few flights later pulled out of an inverted flat spin just a hair too low, scrubbed the landing gear and broke a wooden prop blade. Meh, after all that is why I put this thing together. Still a very fun plane with cheap servos, HURC motor, Plush ESC. 60 degree throws are a riot. She will be flying tonight once the new prop goes on.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:53 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Not a crash, exactly, but ... weird.

I was flying one of my new scratch builds, the 'Double-Down.'

I belly landed in the grass and, when I walked up to the plane, I could see that the propeller was wonky. No problem - I use a prop saver on that plane and it's often wonky after a landing. Got closer and I could see that the motor was out of position.

Strange - I hadn't landed that hard. It shouldn't have broken the motor mount.

Bent down to pick it up and saw that ... there was absolutely nothing holding the motor to the plane. The motor was bolted securely into its firewall mount. The firewall was in place. But there were zero screws holding the one to the other.

Here's a photo of the motor once I screwed things back together.

Here's the weird part - there was no sign that there had ever been a screw there. Nothing to have held the motor on. And yet I've flown this plane a dozen times without incident.

I'm going with "magic."
Old 06-21-2016, 12:32 PM
formontoya

Went out a bit too early and it looked like enough light until the plane reached the other side of the field. At the time I did not notice that I managed to roll the plane inverted. It was doing the gradual loss of altitude. I gave a bit of up, but it went down a bit. Did not snap that I was inverted and really gave it some down and that was it. DOA when I arrived at the scene...later looked at the video and this plane is faster in roll that the planes I've been flying lately and I saw that I rolled it on a turn...moved faster than my old eyes could see.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...6&postcount=43
Old 08-20-2016, 07:34 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

This happened a few months ago, but I've just about gotten over it. How to fit a 104" wing span 120cc plane in a single garbage bag. (Radio lockout, possibly due to bad power distribution unit.)

Old 08-20-2016, 09:40 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Oh, man. That had to hurt!
Old 08-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Almost the same colour as my Sukhoi 29.

I had a altercation yesterday as well but compared to that it was nothing. I was trying to avoid a resident magpie and pulled a fairly violent turn and pulled a CF Strip from the wing. Wing folded.
It was a EPP model with ply framework internally that took quite a beating but as I had templates, I cut new parts and it is not far from being repaired again. Just the engine mount to repair and some bodywork and it will be as good as new again. I doubled up the spar in the wing while I was at it.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:25 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

A friend of mine gave me an 8' Telemaster with an Eflite Power 60 set up. Also had 2 Thunder Power 3s 3700 mah batteries with a series plug to get 6s.

Like an idiot I didn't do a wattmeter test, but the motor sounded strong.

Not a lot of takeoff power, but it was airborne in about 100', flew for 5 minutes then set up to land, suddenly a gust of wind turned the plane to the left, I hit the throttle but not much happened, the wind blew the plane into the trees.

There was my brand new Telemaster hanging by the elevator about 45' off the ground.
I had to climb about 30-35' up so I could push it out with a 20' length of plastic pipe.

Not much damage to the plane, just the tail group had to be re-glued, but I had to explain how I ripped the heck out of my brand new jeans to my wife. She just shook her head asking why a 68 year old had to climb the tree. I told her the three younger guys at the field refused to climb it.

Turned out I was only getting about 600 watts at take off and after 5 min. I could only get about 400, just not enough for a 11 lb. plane.
The batteries are too old.
My new battery gives me 960 watts for takeoff, and is 5300mah.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:29 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Bent down to pick it up and saw that ... there was absolutely nothing holding the motor to the plane. The motor was bolted securely into its firewall mount. The firewall was in place. But there were zero screws holding the one to the other.

Here's the weird part - there was no sign that there had ever been a screw there. Nothing to have held the motor on. And yet I've flown this plane a dozen times without incident.

I'm going with "magic."
I think the fact that it's a pusher design may have helped. The prop thrust forward would push the motor onto the mount.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:57 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

@ Swede- eek. Hate to see that.

@ Mark- looks like a really good fpv platform. You should market that.

Hawk
Old 08-21-2016, 08:00 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Sorry to see that 'Swede' ..... that level of damage may even tax my ability to rebuild !

Landing my Edge 540 yesterday .... she harriered in at slow speed but caught a hole in the ground and U/C mount area broke the stringers either side.

Nigel
Old 08-21-2016, 02:45 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

It didn't deter me though... I learned nothing and I'm at it again! 3DHobbyshop 106" Edge this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160820_144419.jpg (2.26 MB, 436 views)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:25 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

OUCH Swede!!! Seriously bud, thats a bummer.

I had an interesting day today. My Tarot 650 sport quad started spinning 360s while it was 20 meters high and I had 0 control to stop it. Suddenly regained control and brought it down safely. All while wearing FatShark goggles.

It was very windy today and I should have known better then to fly my superFly foamy delta fpv. It went down behind the tree line and it was going to be lost except for one very fortunate thing.......the throttle and motor worked and it's motor is very loud. I entered the woods with a friend and it is marsh like mud and very thick brush/trees/swamp grass. the superfly was upside down and the 2 stabilizer fins made it possible to spin up the prop and follow the sound. It was way father away than we thought. Found it 100% undamaged!! So I guess today was a really good day at the field. Got to fly with a new member fpv'ing quads and discussing racing coarse setups. Not a bad day at all
Old 08-22-2016, 08:11 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Yesterday was interesting. I have the HK ASK2100 powered glider. It tends to have a mind of its own.

You can fly this one day perfectly ... then suddenly she'll drop a wing and spiral in.

My mate Uldis watched this happen and when he saw model undamaged asked if he could try it.

He moved battery to change cog ... then it was launched. He flew around smiling and odd comment .... she's OK, just needs cog sorting ..... then the model decided to show its character ..... yep ... wing dropped and a beautiful spiral in.
He stood there apologizing .... I told him - no worries - in fact I was glad it happened. It showed that even with his greater flying ability than mine - the model was at fault - not me.

Its only slightly damaged - so lives to 'bite' another day !

Nigel
Old 08-22-2016, 08:26 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

The Raptor, also known as Firstar also has that fault. There is mention of it in the Raptor threads. Spiral of death they call it. Made by Lanyu. Maybe your ASK is as well. If so they need a new designer.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:58 PM
Scotty68
Long time rookie

You forgot reason #10. The ground was too high!

ps. Love #7
Old 08-22-2016, 05:30 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
The Raptor, also known as Firstar also has that fault. There is mention of it in the Raptor threads. Spiral of death they call it. Made by Lanyu. Maybe your ASK is as well. If so they need a new designer.
I have had a couple of Lanyu models ... ME109 and their T45 ... both good.

I do not think my ASK21 is by Lanyu .. as they typically put a TW number on their models. Even when HK sold them.

The ASK21 is a majestic model in the air once you get her to behave. I will keep on and try to get her tamed as I had before. It's another case of too many models ... not flying some like this for long periods.

Nigel
Old 08-22-2016, 10:07 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

The wing on the Raptor and Phoenix 2000 are interchangeable. I never tried the 2 meter wing on my Raptor. I should as I don't ever use the wing.
My Phoenix flies so much better with the Radian wing I adapted to it and I also have a built up 2.3 meter wing I use occasionally as well.
I fitted brakes to the Radian wing so I prefer using that one as it s easier to land.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:38 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I fitted air-brakes to my ASK21 - but they are not reason for the 'spiral' as it did it before fitting.

One possibility is that the rear wing pegs may be coming out of retainer. The pegs like many models are very short. I did think of replacing with longer but resisted thinking I would be inviting greater risk of damage to wing if I had mishap.

Nigel
Old 08-23-2016, 08:31 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Sounds like a possibility Nigel.

I think the Raptor spiral is caused by the big bulbous nose starving the tail assy of airflow at times. I can't see any other reason. That is the way it behaves when it starts to go down anyway.
I had a cam on mine when it went down so it turned into interesting footage.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:27 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have a vid somewhere of my Polaris going submarine !! I used to wrap my keycams in sandwich wrap (clingfilm) - much better than trying to use a balloon.

She went in the river and flipped putting camera underwater ...

Nigel
Old 08-25-2016, 12:11 AM
OrangeFlyer89
Happy Flyer

Default Did you ever have a plane you refused to let die?

Here is my little electrifly SE-5a that has been crashed & rebuilt 3 different times over 5 or 6 years of pretty constant use, it's flown a lot since it's one of my favorite park flyer planes. I finally ran out of proper covering for the lower wing on the latest crunch and decided that close enough would have to be good enough.

So does anyone have a multiple time crash & rebuild more than the 3 times my poor little SE-5a has been through?
Attached Images
SE-5a 1.jpg (601.6 KB, 153 views)
SE-5a 2.jpg (616.5 KB, 258 views)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I've got a couple that I've rebuilt more than once. The first scratch build I ever made is a little biplane made from blue fanfold. I've put it back together quite a few times. I remember one time when I flew it through power like that I was POSITIVE I was below, shearing right through every strut and taking the top wing right off. For several seconds, I had no idea AT ALL what had happened. It was like watching a magic trick. It's had several sets of wings, a TON of struts, and I don't know what else and she still flies.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:21 PM
OrangeFlyer89
Happy Flyer

Nice, and a biplane too! Maybe it's something about biplanes in particular that have that survivor spirit, any monoplane I ever crashed was a one & done deal, no second lives there.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:10 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Been a while since i put one in but it happend today. Total loss. Im going to miss this plane.

Shortest FPV flight of the day

drive.google.com/file/d/0B00fGG5gy2UNZGU5aDFQRWlkanc/view?usp=sharing

Quick Reply: OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10714 seconds with 16 queries