What the hello!!! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

What the hello!!!

Old 07-17-2016, 04:34 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Angry What the hello!!!

You know we talk about field etiquette, well how about shop etiquette?

Back story. Having a bath remodeled, wife handling it. Bad move.
Contractor shows up a week late, stays long enough to collect 50% down, and damages the tub when he drops broken tiles in it.

He and his crew show up willy nilly, sometimes not.

I come home the other night to find a disaster! Seems the crew decided my shop was a good place to work. Uneaten fast food, wrappers and cups strew across the benches. Something spilt across the floor, and two pairs of shoes.

Apparently they used a wet saw in there as I could see the stream of water and tile dust leading to the garage door. Then the saw must of broke because they switched to a circular saw for cutting cement board and tile. Everything is covered in white dust.

They then used a portable bench to use as a saw horse so it's covered in a white glaze now. My extension cords, which they had to have gone through the cabinets to find, are also now repainted in white. One of the planes on the bench is not where it was and parts are strewn across the top.

Another plane, still in the box, that was under the bench is sitting opened on the floor.

And let's not forget the trail of debris from the bath down the hall to the shop and out the front door to where their vehicle was parked.

Did I mention they decided to replace the floor, new tile, before any other work was completed? So all that crap is getting ground into the new tile as they walk back and forth.

Of course I exploded! The next morning I walked my general contractor (wife) out to the shop and unloaded on her.

Last night I came home to find she had tried to clean up. Tried.
All it did was give me more ammo to go ballistic.

My new to me Super Airliner, that I had just finished getting ready for paint, had been sitting on one of the benches. And it seems something got sprayed across the bench, onto all the parts there. Whatever it is, it ate through the primer right down to the poly/glass.
All the little parts I had laid out were now piled up and of course got a sprinkling of the same.

I am fit to be tied right now. And that's an understatement.

Now what to do? I know if I unload on the crew they will either screw up even worse or just walk off the job, which means yours truly will get stuck with finishing the job.

Couple shots of the damage to the liner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mess 1.jpg (43.6 KB, 398 views)
mess 2.jpg (25.7 KB, 343 views)
mess 3.jpg (21.2 KB, 298 views)
mess 4.jpg (8.9 KB, 290 views)
mess 5.jpg (42.3 KB, 389 views)
Old 07-17-2016, 05:56 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Maybe someone can explain to me why builders have to leave debris everywhere. If you buy a box of 100 screws - they use 20, rest get strewn about and wasted. Garden gets torn up and left as their general tip for lumps of wood, metal, even tools just left and forgotten.
Bags of cement left out so they get wet and useless - then you have to buy more.
If the build it wrong or make an error - Oh no its not their fault and they wont fix it.

My house is still 12yrs after I bought subject to the above ! Its not finished and I dread the continued saga.

But the biggest part that makes me really angry ... You tell them that they MUST finish a job before starting another is ignored. You end up with them starting one job ... few days later another job gets started .... then another ... then another ... and not one gets finished on time if ever ! I know why they do it - its to g'tee they have work for longer than you planned !

Nigel
Old 07-17-2016, 06:46 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

There's a contractor who should be paying for all of the damages.

Hell if I'd let them back in the house.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:25 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Yeah I'm considering firing the General Contractor, (my wife) and the crew.
Problem there is getting back the funds and finding someone who wants to take over the partially done job.

Most likely the new floor is going to have to be replaced from them walking on it with debris on it. And now having doubts about the other work they started, and the damage they've already done.
Most likely going to now cost twice what we budgeted for it.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:36 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Photos and a lawyer.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:49 PM
Vic Z

Sorry to hear that this is happening to you. Very frustrating I am sure.
I am sure that your wife feels as frustrated as you do, and probably more so since she is in charge of the project. Make sure and love her up and remember that when this is all over the 2 of you will still be a team, so be one now. She is your beloved wife, and these are the things that beloved wives put us through
I just had a new deck built and have been waiting for the stain to dry for a week now. A project headed up by the lovey Mrs. Zurbano
As for what to do, be patient, remain civil (good luck), and seek the advise of your attorney.
This will get over, and life will still be good.
It's just life. Enjoy the ride

And sorry about your plane. That's personal
Old 07-17-2016, 08:04 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Grounds for divorce. Just kidding, kind of. Lol

What a nightmare. Sorry you and your airplanes have to endure. My wife knocked one of my edf's on the garage floor and didn't say anything. When I saw the cracked wing, I went nuts. Then calmed down, apologized for making such a fuss over what is a toy and moved on. Never said another word about it.

It's always a double edged sword but now if I happen to spill ca on the kitchen table, I'll have some collateral stored. " Oh, remember when you... "?
Old 07-17-2016, 08:13 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Yeah I'm considering firing the General Contractor, (my wife) and the crew.
Problem there is getting back the funds and finding someone who wants to take over the partially done job.

Most likely the new floor is going to have to be replaced from them walking on it with debris on it. And now having doubts about the other work they started, and the damage they've already done.
Most likely going to now cost twice what we budgeted for it.
You live in the USA - home of the No Win No Fee lawyers ... surely someone to take on your case ?

I wish you luck - me on other hand has no chance as we don't have such system here.

Nigel
Old 07-17-2016, 08:18 PM
hkeelljr

I know the feeling, I built a plastic airplane, Skyrocket, twin engine fighter prototype for WW2, had it lovingly displayed on a shelf, went to vacum one day a noticed a part off of it on the floor and when I saw it, I was almost on the floor, my wife had changed the baby and put the diaper in a bag and tossed it at the door so I' take it out and it landed squarely on the plane pretty much destroying all my hard work. But you think I'd bring it up later in an aurgment... heck no I want to live.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:36 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Yep, get Erin Brockovich on to it.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:50 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Fire them.

I was a contractor for many years, and if we ever accidently damaged anything we went above and beyond to make it right. Never in a million years would I use someone else's workshop or tools without permission.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:21 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Sorry this happened to you.

Number one, first and foremost, fire them immediately and never let them set foot in the house again.

After that, consider whether you want to file a lawsuit of some sort. In Kansas, for anything less that (I think) $4000, you can take them to small claims court which saves you the hassle of an attorney. The filing fee is $50 or some such.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:51 PM
tr4252

Had similar experiences with contractors, but they didn't know I'd been coached by The General Manager From Hell over the years,and with me it's business as usual to be a hardass when the job goes wrong.

As has been suggested, photos and more photos. Also, though it's hard to do this, leave all the destruction as it is and get the contractors to look at it with you, if you have to drag them by the ears like a vengeful grandmother.

Their behavior is outrageous, but you may be in a bind because the wife's involved. In my general experience, it is unwise to have a woman, especially a sane one, deal with contractors, auto shops, insurance companies, etc. They seem to regard a woman as does a hungry wolf to a cute fluffy kitten. In my opinion, the only type of person capable of dealing with a contractor is another contractor (or mechanic, etc.) who is paid by you to oversee the work and assure your orders are executed by the numbers. That is why it pays to cultivate associations with various tradespeople.

My best advice is............find out or figure out what their worst nightmare would be, and then go ahead and threaten them with it. Believe it or not, most contractors are most vulnerable to their insurance companies and suppliers. I'm afraid that's all I can say about this particular option. Seriously, giving them a bad review on Angie's List or the possibility that you will be very vocal about their incompetence will only make them laugh. The Better Business Bureau (in my area) is of no help whatsoever. Threats of lawsuits are fairly common, and you will only get their attention if you actually take them to court. (Everybody threatens to sue; it's a boy crying wolf to them).

You did not mention the exact relationship between your Mrs. and the workers, so I'm speaking to the circumstance of your dealing with people who are actually in the trades in question.

Fifty percent up front is negotiable; next time offer them 10%, and be ready to politely decline if they balk. Don't forget, you're just as likely to say "thanks but no thanks", as far as they know. They're not in business to go around losing bids; they need to work to survive.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I've been around the block and have dealt with these and other depressing business issues for a long time (over 40 years). Learned the hard way; I have no "one easy answer" reply. I think you know your rights, and I think you have a valid gripe.

I wish you luck.

Tom

edit, about 1 hour later; What I said about fluffy kittens was not meant to be disrespectful to women, but more of a condemnation of my fellow males.

Last edited by tr4252; 07-18-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...
They decided to install the new shower/bath fixtures while I was at work.
Lets just say they are not plumbers. At least not competent ones. Were talking Larry, Moe, and Curley.

They flooded the bathroom, and since there was no drywall up in there it went into the office's new laminate floor, and out into the hallway, when they turned the water back on. I came home to multiple fans running trying to dry up the place.

They no longer work here. And most likely if I take em to court and easily win, the money is gone. Wouldn't doubt they blew what we gave them already. At least they won't be doing any more work here or anywhere else.

When I asked the Wifey about their license and insurance info, I got the deer in the headlights look. Seems she never asked if they had it.

I got it, then called the County Building Office. Oh, oh, they contacted the owner who I guess went ballistic too. Seems these Stooges had given me his info, which they had no authorization to do so. He didn't know they were doing work on the side using his info, tools, vehicle, etc. I don't think they'll be working for him any longer either.

Now I get to hire a real contractor, who'll have to rip out everything they did, plus repair the damage to the dry wall and floor in the office. And of course buy more materials to replace what they used.

And then just to top it all off, it seems the Post Office has lost a Registered Airmail parcel of mine. One that has the new fans and motors for the Airliner. Departed Hong Kong on the 13th, and went into a Black Hole after that.

And yes, after I fired the Wife General Contractor, I told her it was okay, we all have to learn the hard way. She has agreed to never act as such again.

I'm going to go flying today, what's the worse that could happen?
Old 07-19-2016, 02:49 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Dang man!!!!

well your luck has to turn for the better soon. what a cluster.... wow.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:42 PM
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

To Glacier Girl: First how long have you lived in Florida?? I have been here for 25yrs and maybe I can help you out with a few of my suggestions! Listen to tr4252 he has a lot of good advice. Never and I mean never let the wife deal with these contractors unless you are standing right next to her !!! Never and I mean never let Home Depot or Lowes contract out a job for you . they use the LOWEST bidder and that means you are getting nothing but junk , clowns and people that do not have a clue.!! Find a reputable Handy Man thru your local Penny Saver or Treasure Chest. When you meet them ask
to see photos of their prior work and ask the neighbors who they might recommend. If the priced seems to low beware !! The reason I spoke of your wife is that these unscrupulous people are like wolf's with a lady as tr4252 stated, and in Florida that goes for not only contractors but car salesman ,salesmen in general, so called Warrantee's and Guarantee's... and heaven help you if you don't have the receipt :o))
As far as going to the county or townships for help ,most of the people that work there could care less you will probably get more of a run a round than its worth and don't waste your hard earned money on a attorney , he won't be able to get any of your money back from these clowns.
You see the state of Florida has a large population of Senior Citizens and a lot of them seem to be prey for these fly by night, so called contractors.
I have just a few rules when dealing with anyone who I have contracted to do work for me . You deserve to get the job done as you want it and not the way they want to complete it. 1) do NOT give anyone money until the job is completed to your satisfaction. If they say they need it for materials then then say bye bye and get someone else .If they can't afford to buy materials up front ,then you are better off going with someone else. I don't claim to know all the answers but I have lived in Florida long enough to have been scammed and schemed a few times(Hasn't everyone who lives here) myself so I have learned some bitter lessons and I am just trying to help you to be aware of what can happen (as you now know) if you are not careful with your choices.
All good luck to you Sir and I hope your new experience will be better than the prior one. fdnyjery aka Jerry
Old 07-19-2016, 05:01 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Have you checked House Insurance - maybe a claim is possible to at least help with the costs of damage ?

My son sucked up the dogs water with wife's vacuum cleaner one day - cleaner let out an awful lot of crap and splattered wall and floor. Insurance covered the lot. Just an example to show that you can be surprised what they cover.

Nigel
Old 07-19-2016, 05:37 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

As an ex-General Contractor, the problems you had make me furious. It makes all the good contractors look bad. People start to think we all act like that. I fought that for 9 years.

In my home state of Washington, the Department of Labor and Industries, would have jumped all over those people, and then hit them with a $3000.00 fine after they paid for everything they did to you, or face jail time. I was almost involved in a some-what similar case, I might of had to testify as an expert witness.

My personal home was the collateral behind my bond, I had to do everything perfectly. My customers also had my personal home address. I wanted them to know that I was not going to pull something like you went through.

So sorry for the way you were treated.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:06 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Honestly this was things I could have easily done myself. It was a time factor that made the decisions what they were. Hindsite shows I should have done it myself. Would/will have taken just as long. Lessons learned, especially by the wife.

Anywho, my week ended up just going down hill.
My parcel from Hong Kong that no one seemed to know where it was, has appeared. Sorta.

There's been no info on any of the sites I've checked showing anything since it left China on the 13th. Checked again this morning, again nothing.

At work tonight I checked again. SURPRISE!!!
New info. Arrived in Lakeland FL, Where I live, last night.
Then got shipped to Tampa FL.
Then back to Lakeland this morning.

Final line says, Package undeliverable due to address, will send back to sender's address.
Yep my package that has an open ticket on it with the PO, with all my info, is being sent back. These "folks" are supposed to be looking for this parcel, via the Registered Air Mail tracking, yet no one knows about it?

And then, to wrap up the week. Been trying since Monday to have my heart Doc's office get my prescription refilled. What a cluster! Multiple phone calls to the office twits, multiple trips to the pharmacy. Last news I get at the pharmacy, office sent over all new prescriptions, except for the one I'm out of.

So Monday before work, I'll be stopping at the doc's office, and running over to the Post Office to see if I can get my package before they send it back.

I really really need to go flying.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:17 AM
Vic Z

Hang in there.
It will all work itself out.
Go fly and forget about it all. Best thing you can do.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Well I'm still alive.Chased down my package.Talk about incompetent. Per the PO it was undeliverable due to address. Get package, look at address. My street is spelled LOWRY, on the package it's LOERY. If you say it out loud it sounds the same.

My name, business name, street number, city, state, zipcode, and PHONE NUMBER are all correct on the label. Too much effort for the carrier and PO to use their brain to deliver it.

And CERTIFIED contractor has started the redo of the bath, already took care of the flooded closet floor. And I found a little reminder from the previous yahoos.

After readingthe riot act to them about the mess in the shop and damage to the airplane, they started cutting tile outside. Apparently it was too much effort to use the 55 gallon garbage can out there. They had tossed all the cut offs and such behind the bushes in the side yard.

And dang it, I get a day off, and it's raining...
Old 07-26-2016, 02:34 PM
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

Hey Glacier Girl: Glad you have a good contractor now, but I would not let the REDNECK crew get away with what they did to you. It's almost criminal. Go after them or their boss I hope you took lots of photos of the damage and if nothing else works report them to the Florida Better Business Bureau Maybe the way to go is put some pressure on their boss about at least getting some of your hard earned money back. People who are like these Low Life's only respond when their pocket books get hurt.You will be helping out the next guy who uses these guys. ALSO if they have a company name that they represented then go online and write a review with what they did or failed to do. You would be surprised how many people check those reviews out before they hire someone. You know most of us Floridians are laid back and have faith in their fellow man unfortunately the times they are a changing and I guess we all have to be more aware. Hope all your troubles will be behind you !! Clear Skies and Happy Flying fdnyjery aka Jerry
Old 07-26-2016, 02:49 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Do what I did to Centurylink over their lack of service (no phone or internet for a month, but they still wanted me to pay)

Park a car with glass chalk telling what they did outside their store.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:19 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Do what I did to Centurylink over their lack of service (no phone or internet for a month, but they still wanted me to pay)

Park a car with glass chalk telling what they did outside their store.
LOL More people need to do radical things to deal with 'couldn't care less' idiots.