FAA Registration Deadline Looming - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

FAA Registration Deadline Looming

Old 02-15-2016, 12:41 AM
Bald Paul

Default FAA Registration Deadline Looming

Just a friendly reminder:

February 19th is the final day you will be able to legally fly your RC aircraft without FAA registration.

The AMA has conceded that the challenge to the ruling by the FAA will not be sorted out before the deadline, and has urged all members to comply with registration.

If you have waited this long, it will cost you five dollars. The rebate period has passed.

It will be interesting to see if there are any enforcement checks at upcoming events, like SEFF.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:51 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

If I sign up, it will be Feb 19th, at 11:59 pm. Not giving them my money till the last minute.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:56 AM
carpetbagger

Default signed up

first day registration went online.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:34 AM
birdDog
Charging....

It still rubs me that our jackwagon bureaucrats can dictate compliance before the language is complete. Welcome to democracy right?
On a sidenote, my sister announced they are seriously starting to look at moving from Chicago to Australia. I envy them.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:50 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

It's not about the five bucks. I have no intentions of registering on the 19th, the 29th or the 99th. For now everything I fly is under 250 grams. Screw 'em.

Joe
Old 02-15-2016, 05:19 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I registered while it was still free.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:29 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Ditto. Registered December 21. I have big problems with the registration contract. On the face of it, sailplanes and aerobatic planes are either prohibited or restricted to the point of "what's the point?".

What's the top of the aerobatic box, 800'? And sailplanes under 400' are just pointless. But as it stands, those of us who are registered are contractually restricted from practicing our portions of the hobby.

I hope there are changes. I don't see why the FAA would make those changes. I just watched Hoot Gibson's talk before the AMA. It was a stumbling, ill informed, uncomfortable demonstration of complete lack of trust in all directions and the FAA sending out an ill-informed, unprepared spokesperson with no support. When asked a well put and focused question on flying higher than 400' at 55:26 he's clearly a deer in the headlights: " I can't offer a solution on that just yet. But ummmmm I, I, I.....it's been tee'd up. And so...we're going to look very hard at that." He offers that he sent an e-mail this morning to inquire about that. He asks for the next question.

It's very clear that the FAA will make a decision and we will be bound by it. This is not a negotiation. It is an imposition.

And through it all there is not one word about the simple solution: requirement that all RC radio receivers have built-in GPS ability with the ability to transmit longitude, latitude and altitude to a frequency and in a form that the new Nexgen Navigation System can use. Then the position of every RC aircraft in the sky would be available in real time to every private aviation plane when the Nexgen navigation system is fully implemented. The pieces are in place, but not one word is said of the easy solution. I'm not feeling good about the FAA's lack of common sense. They have already solved the problem but don't seem to know it.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:45 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I am deeply conflicted on how to proceed. I am almost purely a sailplane pilot.

Launching pure sailplanes from a winch I break the barrier and then am looking for altitude.

Flying electric sailplanes my typical launch is 650 feet using an ALES unit, then I am looking for altitude.

To say I have done very little flying since I registered is more a function of weather than of rules, but it is on my mind.

I am also a contest director for sailplane competitions. Our club is part of the Eastern Soaring League. We have a regional April 23/24 and another June 25 and 26. No one will be flying under 400 feet.

AMA has told us we are good to go as long as we are flying under AMA rules but I am still nervous.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:23 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

FAA now says we have a hard ceiling of 400 ft.

AMA Pattern "box" calculates out to appx 850 ft at the top... and they use every inch.

There is no way that a lot of competition events can stay within the way the FAA rules are written. either the FAA needs to waiver the contests (in writing) or those events are done.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:55 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
FAA now says we have a hard ceiling of 400 ft.

AMA Pattern "box" calculates out to appx 850 ft at the top... and they use every inch.

There is no way that a lot of competition events can stay within the way the FAA rules are written. either the FAA needs to waiver the contests (in writing) or those events are done.
May I ask the the source of your information? I just visited the AMA website for a different reason. I am a CD for a soaring contest in April and June and ANY sort of hard 400 foot limit would completely shut down RC Soaring. Here is what I found.

====================================
What about the 400 foot limit on the Drone registration site?
AMA Guidance provided:
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ary-15-and-16/

Quoted from the link above:

"We raised multiple questions around the guidelines pilots must agree to
during the registration process, such as the requirement to stay below 400
feet. The FAA acknowledged that AMA members should continue to follow AMA’s community-based safety code. We also discussed and the FAA confirmed that the language on the FAA registration site is a guideline, not regulation.
This guideline is not directed at the AMA community but rather, it is a
simplified set of safety guidelines geared to the general public.

We specifically addressed the 400 foot altitude limitation and explained how under appropriate circumstances some modeling activity necessarily occurs above 400’ and other activity occurs at altitude to protect modelers and spectators on the ground. The FAA understands that this community flies higher than the guideline and acknowledged that AMA pilots can abide by their own safety code which is proven to provide safe aeromodelling
operations"

What was your source of this hard 400 foot ceiling?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:13 PM
Bald Paul

Well, I didn't really intend for this thread to become yet another debate over FAA vs AMA rules.

However, since the door was opened....

My take: if you are flying according to AMA guidelines, you're probably not going to bother anyone to the point where they will call the authorities on you.

If, for some reason, you are reported (I once had a friend visited by a police officer on a noise complaint - he was flying a glider) remember that the burden of enforcement falls on the local PD. They are probably going to have more important things to do than to determine if you were flying above 400 feet. If you get caught red handed at 500', you can always claim ignorance (I'm sorry, officer, I didn't realize I was that far up!) and that will probably be the end of it. But, if you don't have that FAA number, they *could* create an issue if they wanted to.

Why chance it? I've already registered, already got my money refunded, too. My only problem is that my CC bill came in before the rebate was applied. I paid it to avoid a late payment charge. Now I have a $5 credit on my account. Trying to figure out what to buy for $5 so I don't keep getting reminders that my account has a credit on it.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:58 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
It still rubs me that our jackwagon bureaucrats can dictate compliance before the language is complete. Welcome to democracy right? <Snip!>
What democracy? Democracy by definition means "a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives." Neither of which apply to the FAA in general nor their ruling in particular.

And yes, I know you were being sarcastic.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Latest from the AMA>>>

Dear AMA members,

We have good news to share. Last night, the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee in the House of Representatives passed the Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization (AIRR) Act*, which preserves and strengthens the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

We would like to thank Rep. Bill Shuster of Pennsylvania, Chairman of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, and Rep. Mark Sanford of South Carolina for their efforts to ensure that this important legislation protects the hobby of flying model aircraft.

The AIRR Act is critical to preserving our voluntary, community-based approach to managing the model aviation community. By strengthening the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, this bill will enhance safety across the recreational community and allow our members, who for decades have flown safely and responsibly within AMA’s community-based safety program, to continue enjoying our hobby without new burdensome regulations.

Among the bill’s provisions, it provides a clear definition of a community-based organization (CBO) and tasks the FAA with developing a process for recognizing qualifying CBOs, both long-overdue tasks for the agency. In addition, the bill makes clear that model aircraft can be used as a teaching tool for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), as well as aeronautics.

The AIRR act is a strong bill that we are proud to support, but Congress isn’t done with it yet. The full House of Representatives still needs to vote on the AIRR Act and the Senate still needs to work on its own version of the bill. AMA has been actively advocating for our members’ interests on Capitol Hill, and we will continue working with Congress on additional changes that could further protect our hobby.

We may need your help in reaching out to members of Congress to urge them to support the Special Rules for Model Aircraft, which provides critical protections for the model aviation community. Remain vigilant and continue to monitor emails, social media, and www.modelaircraft.org/gov for more information and updates.

Sincerely,
AMA Government Affairs
*The part that concerns sUAS starts on page 196. Basically it is a copy of "Section 336"
Old 02-16-2016, 01:39 PM
pd1
Still Learning

If you are running an "event" you can usually get a waiver for the altitude.
There is a local rocket club here that routinely gets a waiver and notams ( notices to airmen) of their activities.

You can start with the local flight standards district office to see what you have to do.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...o/frg/contact/

Since the FAA stuck their nose into model aircraft and classified them as aircraft, they should accommodate your event.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:26 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not going to contact, I am going to contact AMA and get their guidance, based on the info you provided. Right or wrong I am going to follow their lead and hope it does not put me in jail.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:40 PM
ooOoo
Ninja

I don't have time to register, I'm too busy flying my "drones".
Old 02-17-2016, 01:27 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!
AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!
AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!

Joe
Old 02-17-2016, 01:50 AM
pd1
Still Learning

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!
AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!
AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!

Joe

Long John Silver?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:02 AM
ooOoo
Ninja

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Long John Silver?
Thanks, now I'm hungry and craving LJS
Old 02-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I am not going to contact, I am going to contact AMA and get their guidance, based on the info you provided. Right or wrong I am going to follow their lead and hope it does not put me in jail.
Here's my take on the situation. I think it's worth consideration. When you register you agree to terms by checking a box. Unless you check that box you cannot complete the registration, so therefore you are creating a private contract, with $5.00 consideration, with the FAA not to fly above 400'. The FAA is a quasi-legal Federal agency with the power to create and enforce its own regulations.

That contract can actually remove your legal rights, just as a deed restriction in a housing development might restrict you from painting your house perfectly legal colors. In this case, before you check the box you can fly over 400' when not within 3 miles of an airport. After checking the box you have an enforceable contractual obligation not to fly over 400' anywhere and have to give airports notice when flying within 5 miles.

Now this is a contract, not law. The FAA could just elect not to enforce this clause. But their failure to enforce it this time does not mean that they can't enforce it later. Unlike a regulatory situation, a contractual situation is a lot more fluid and uncertain. What is certain is that the AMA is not a party to that contract and has no power to alter it. Whatever they have to say about it, they are talking out of turn. I think the AMA has been outmaneuvered here and shoved in the corner by some very heavy handed treatment by the FAA.

I see registration as a one-step procedure to sidestep both the 2012 FAA Act and the AMA. I would heartily recommend obtaining an official variance from the FAA for sailplane events. I would think there are prestige and publicity benefits from doing that too.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:22 AM
FoxProGT

No intentions of registering any time soon.

Last edited by FoxProGT; 04-16-2016 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:07 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Flew my registered and marked planes for the first time today. Didn't feel much different.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:12 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

good to hear they didn't weigh ya down there swede

i have my registration card in my wallet and a page of water resistant labels to stick on stuff. just have to find enough space and some of the smaller quads. may put stickers on my batteries. can't fly without batteries,so maybe the sticker will work there best.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:02 PM
SARG5
SARG5

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Here's my take on the situation. I think it's worth consideration. When you register you agree to terms by checking a box. Unless you check that box you cannot complete the registration, so therefore you are creating a private contract, with $5.00 consideration, with the FAA not to fly above 400'. The FAA is a quasi-legal Federal agency with the power to create and enforce its own regulations.

That contract can actually remove your legal rights, just as a deed restriction in a housing development might restrict you from painting your house perfectly legal colors. In this case, before you check the box you can fly over 400' when not within 3 miles of an airport. After checking the box you have an enforceable contractual obligation not to fly over 400' anywhere and have to give airports notice when flying within 5 miles.

Now this is a contract, not law. The FAA could just elect not to enforce this clause. But their failure to enforce it this time does not mean that they can't enforce it later. Unlike a regulatory situation, a contractual situation is a lot more fluid and uncertain. What is certain is that the AMA is not a party to that contract and has no power to alter it. Whatever they have to say about it, they are talking out of turn. I think the AMA has been outmaneuvered here and shoved in the corner by some very heavy handed treatment by the FAA.

I see registration as a one-step procedure to sidestep both the 2012 FAA Act and the AMA. I would heartily recommend obtaining an official variance from the FAA for sailplane events. I would think there are prestige and publicity benefits from doing that too.
SARG5 from Kansas here
. I sent in my on line Drone registration when the rebate time frame was on. I never received anything back from FAA.
. Have been trying to find out If they received my registration??
any SUGGESTIONS
SARG5
Old 03-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Hey Sarg5, printing the registration is part of the registration process itself. You print your registration when you're done with the process. The FAA doesn't send you anything. You should also have a confirmation e-mail with your FAA registration number in it.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:32 PM
SARG5
SARG5

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Hey Sarg5, printing the registration is part of the registration process itself. You print your registration when you're done with the process. The FAA doesn't send you anything. You should also have a confirmation e-mail with your FAA registration number in it.
If I received anything from FAA. Must have missed it. I have been trying to contact FAA about my number. Can find nothing.
SARG5

Quick Reply: FAA Registration Deadline Looming

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15144 seconds with 14 queries