Yet another act of drone stupidity! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Yet another act of drone stupidity!

Old 12-29-2015, 04:54 PM
abborgogna

Default Yet another act of drone stupidity!

"Personal drone flies alongside Obama's motorcade in Hawaii"
This was a headline on Fox.com news this morning. When will this stupidity end? I hope they throw the book at this idiot, and confiscate everything associated with this drone.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:07 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

How much you want to bet he wasn't registered?
Old 12-29-2015, 05:17 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by abborgogna View Post
"Personal drone flies alongside Obama's motorcade in Hawaii"
This was a headline on Fox.com news this morning. When will this stupidity end? I hope they throw the book at this idiot, and confiscate everything associated with this drone.
Let's see I was ridiculed the FAA was imposing the new rules because of security risk, and not near misses or privacy as some of you refuse to accept. Would be extremely easy to take out a armored limo with a high value target inside. Impossible to detect until it is too late. Yeah I know anyone who would do that is not registered. Drones and FPV are guided missiles which are illegal in any form.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:23 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

If you read the story maybe he wasn't as stupid as the headline might lead you to believe:
The statement said: 'The Secret Service is aware of this incident.
'The subject was completely unaware that the Presidential motorcade would be transiting the area of operation and immediately complied with law enforcement requests to cease and desist.
'No charges were filed. The motorcade proceeded without further incident.'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...motorcade.html

So seems like the guy was minding his own business flying his Phantom when the President's motorcade happened to drive by. He was asked to land the drone and he did so, no harm done.

I'd suggest that if you were a nut case hell bent on taking out an armoured limo them a few hundred pound IED in a drain culvert would be more effective and a whole lot simpler than a 'DJI phantom bomb'. So lets not get sensationalist about the risks from RC drones. The effectiveness of 'hobby-grade' drones as weapons is probably illustrated very well by the fact they they have never yet been used as weapons, even in war-zones where there are lots of bad people looking to do bad things.

Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; 12-29-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:44 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

In 1981, I worked with a Cuban engineer/surveyor, he told me RC in ANY form was illegal in Cuba, because of it's possible use against Castro, or government buildings.

I guess they thought it was possible, and all they needed.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:54 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I think one thing that gets overlooked in the illusion that hobby grade RC planes/drones might be an attractive weapon for terrorists, is the fact that the modern terrorist is typically willing (in fact wishes to) to die in the act.
Therefore why go to all the trouble of trying to weaponize an RC plane when you can pilot 'kamikaze fashion' a perfectly normal real plane much more reliably and accurately and with infinity greater destructive power? Makes no sense if you actually sit and think about it.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Bald Paul

The statement said: 'The Secret Service is aware of this incident.
'The subject was completely unaware that the Presidential motorcade would be transiting the area of operation and immediately complied with law enforcement requests to cease and desist.
'No charges were filed. The motorcade proceeded without further incident.'

Hmmm, I wonder if this would still be the case after Feb 19th if they failed to find a registration number on that thing?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:19 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Size and complexity of the drone needed to carry enough explosive to be more than an annoyance has always made conversion of a hobby grade model into a weapon impractical.

However, during the early occupation of Iraq, we had modelers shipping small camera down-link capable RC helis to friends in the army... and a few better grade RC cars... and they got used for observation around corners. The US military suddenly became very interested in developing smaller observation drones....

There was also at least one report of the RC car being used (and sacrificed) to trigger an IED with the convoy still a safe distance from the blast. (Pretty cheap to let an appx $200 RC car blow up instead of one of the trucks in the supply convoy getting blown up...)

There are some security concerns about the drones being out there and able to video record all of the security used for "VIP" movements...
Knowledge is always useful to someone.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:10 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
If you read the story maybe he wasn't as stupid as the headline might lead you to believe:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...motorcade.html

So seems like the guy was minding his own business flying his Phantom when the President's motorcade happened to drive by. He was asked to land the drone and he did so, no harm done.

I'd suggest that if you were a nut case hell bent on taking out an armoured limo them a few hundred pound IED in a drain culvert would be more effective and a whole lot simpler than a 'DJI phantom bomb'. So lets not get sensationalist about the risks from RC drones. The effectiveness of 'hobby-grade' drones as weapons is probably illustrated very well by the fact they they have never yet been used as weapons, even in war-zones where there a lots of bad people looking to do bad things.
Ahh c'mon JPF .....

Don't let fact get in the way of a good story !!

Nigel
Old 12-29-2015, 07:42 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

RC is alive and well in Cuba. For many yrs. we have been sending RC goodies to the modelers there. The local hobby shop here has a box where we put the obsolete radio goodies, 72. trans and rcvrs, used servos, plane hardware, old kits , etc. And when the box is full it's sent off with the help of a local Cuban gentleman. When it gets to Cuba, it gets distributed through one of the local clubs. We just quit doing this recently as I think they are saturated.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:45 PM
birdDog
Charging....

I recall receiving an email recently (can't find it now) from the AMA advising of a No Fly Zone in effect for about a 25nm radius when the POTUS was in Chicago.
Cant' recall the specifics. Maybe someone else here is familiar.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:05 PM
abborgogna

Maybe I am a bit of an unbeliever when the guy says he didn't know that the President of the United States was in the area, but I think he knew and wanted to get some pictures. They generally take the President down major streets, and if nothing else the drone pilot should know to never fly over any major street regardless of who is driving on it. If you want to give him the benefit of the doubt go ahead, I choose not to. I think he is damn lucky the Secret Service didn't take him off to jail.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:07 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
I recall receiving an email recently (can't find it now) from the AMA advising of a No Fly Zone in effect for about a 25nm radius when the POTUS was in Chicago.
Cant' recall the specifics. Maybe someone else here is familiar.
FAA/Homeland Security imposes the no fly zone.. and AMA posts it as a service to AMA members.

But... you have to actually look.
That means you have to know you are supposed to look occasionally...
There's a good chance the guy with the drone in Hawaii didn't have a clue that he was supposed to look occasionally to see if any restrictions or no-fly zones might actually apply to his toy...

Our local club field isn't far from the edge of the no-fly zones that occasionally applied when Bush was in the area... But it is outside the circle, so we kept flying and never had an issue.
But, we did check the map.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:11 PM
abborgogna

Lots of good it does for the AMA to post no fly zones when most of the people flying drones have never even heard of the AMA. I sell these things at the hobby shop I work at, most of the people I sell them to know little about the FAA registration and nothing about the AMA. This will just continue to happen until something bad happens, then all hell will break out.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:44 PM
tr4252

You know, something just occurred to me. All this talk about stupid behavior has a flip side; millions of RC enthusiasts have, for decades, managed to engage in the hobby without very many dumb, dangerous, or just plain annoying acts being committed like today.

I'd like to say congratulations to the vast majority of RCers who flew responsibly for so many years, and thanks. I think someday they will be talking about the Golden Age of RC, which ended a couple of years after this new generation took to the skies.

Tom
Old 12-29-2015, 09:46 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I still think it's an over reaction. The guy appeared to be flying at a beach that must have been near the road where the POTUS's was travelling. Seems perfectly reasonable to me that he didn't know the POTUS was coming and clearly the Secret Service accepted that and didn't see any threat posed.

I sometimes wonder what side some RC flyers are on when they try to talk up the threat of such events and even start talking about the threat from 'weaponised' RC planes/drones. Please......lets leave it to the tabloid press to do the sensationalising, they don't need our help!
Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I still think it's an over reaction. The guy appeared to be flying at a beach that must have been near the road where the POTUS's was travelling. Seems perfectly reasonable to me that he didn't know the POTUS was coming and clearly the Secret Service accepted that and didn't see any threat posed.

I sometimes wonder what side some RC flyers are on when they try to talk up the threat of such events and even start talking about the threat from 'weaponised' RC planes/drones. Please......lets leave it to the tabloid press to do the sensationalising, they don't need our help!
VERY well said!
Old 12-29-2015, 10:24 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Cost of participation kept a lot of the less responsible people out of the hobby for a very long time.

Minimum wage appx $1.25 (If I remember correctly)
The 5 ch Kraft radio was $500, + $95 for a decent .35 ci glow engine with throttle carb + $60 for a kit + $50 to $100 for finishing materials + a couple of weeks to a few months (depending on how much free time you had) to build the thing...
And a brand new VW Beetle was available under $1600.

About 600 hours of minimum wage income to get started...

Now:
Minimum wage approaching $8 (and people demanding $15 to flip burgers)
A cheap new car is about $16,000
And you can get a RTF package deal twin EDF, 110 mph capable Me-262 for about $300.... or a decent 4 ch beginner package for about $150. And its ready to fly in a couple of hours.

20 to 40 hrs minimum wage income and you're flying now.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:31 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Indeed.. plus in 1975 you needed a significant degree of skill just to get the thing to the point of being flyable. It was difficult enough that almost everybody joined a club to get help. Today you just take the plane out of the box, charge and fly.

This is of course a good thing as the hobby is easily accessible for all.. and a bad thing for exactly the same reason..
Old 12-30-2015, 12:58 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Minimum wage appx $1.25 (If I remember correctly)
$2.10 Today it would take $7.91 per hour to be equal.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:16 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

I grew up in Kailua. I know exactly where this guy was standing/flying from.
It is the ONLY road in and out of where the President is currently residing, and where he was located, literally was the safest place to be to get shots of the amazing Kailua Beach.

This local "Moke" was not causing any trouble, just getting some great images of a spectacular beach.

The Media however can be smacked in the back of the head for making comments like "attached camera’s advanced zoom capabilities" as published in several stories. Hell, the dude was flying a small Iphone.. its not like he was using precise imagery to get a pic of a line of black cars....

Look at his shirt! He's a laid back hawaiian!

Folks need to re-effin-lax... nothing to see here... move along...

Its media hype that is stirring up the freaks.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:03 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Besides. He is a laid back and easy going guy.

Not much of a Paparazzi camera on that craft.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:50 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

man it would suck for him to actually try and get a picture...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PHTO0002.JPG (788.1 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg
PHTO0010.JPG (779.8 KB, 293 views)
Old 12-30-2015, 08:10 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by abborgogna View Post
Lots of good it does for the AMA to post no fly zones when most of the people flying drones have never even heard of the AMA. I sell these things at the hobby shop I work at, most of the people I sell them to know little about the FAA registration and nothing about the AMA. This will just continue to happen until something bad happens, then all hell will break out.
There have been many other hobbies / activities in life that shops have played a large part in educating buyers.

Even just a paper clip in the box giving AMA / FAA info / contacts would go a long way to help. Most people finding it would follow up.

Nigel
Old 12-30-2015, 10:28 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Ok in thinking about this, #1 we have an IDIOT. This moke obviously did not get the closure of airspace warning by checking the AMA's site. And he must not listen to the TV, radio, or read the newspaper to know the President was staying right down the road.

I give a garland to the SS. They handled it well once they knew this guy was an IDIOT. But on the other hand, it's obvious this guy has no business flying. He doesn't have any common sense. He could easily have had his DRONE shot out of the air, and found himself staring down a few guns before being tackled and hauled off to jail.

Hopefully they take his toy away from him.

Now all that said, let's play Government in action. Got a new law they want on the books that's meeting with a lot of opposition. Let's have a couple of incidences that show why they need such a law, and more stringent ones. Turn the public tide and BINGO you have your new law and maybe an even stronger one.

Find and give some IDIOT a toy to play with. Alert the SS, and the media ahead of time. BOOM! It makes national news at 6 and 11. Joe citizen gets all riled up about this and calls his congressman/woman. And so on and so on.

Quick Reply: Yet another act of drone stupidity!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10801 seconds with 17 queries