Noobie LiPo question - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Noobie LiPo question

Old 09-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Paul80

Default Noobie LiPo question

Hi all

Sorry for the possibly stupid question.

I understand that used batteries should be charged to a storage level if not to be used for some time to stop them from being damaged if they discharge to low.

So a couple of questions when left for some months, maybe over winter how often should they be topped backup to the storage level. And if I have packs that were charged for use but not actually used, can they be left fully charged or should the be discharged to the storage level.

Thanks for any help with this.

Paul
Old 09-09-2015, 01:56 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Lipos will hold their voltage very well. When I have placed mine up for storage I have never seen any significant drop in them. That being said I fly mostly year round but I have moved this year and haven't done much since early February. Now that things are settling down I am getting the toys back out and all the batts are still charged like they were.

I have also forgotten to put a storage charge on my batteries and left them fully charged for months on end sometimes. I have not see any appreciable difference in doing that either. I wouldn't recommend it but I don't think it will hurt them all that much either.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:23 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

I would not labs them fully charged any significant length of time. I've read that their internal resistance builds as they sit fly charged. I know of several club members who do it and wonder why their batteries are so puffed and lack power. Of course, there are those that say they leave theirs fly charged all the time and have seen no negative consequences. I lean towards the safe side and discharge my batts to storage voltage immediately if I didn't get to use them. Fortunately my charger had a storage seeing that automatically charges or discharges as necessary to get there. Part off my post-flight routine.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:55 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Depends on how you use them and what temperature you store them...

Packs used under high demand will show the effects of less than ideal storage before packs used at moderate or low demand. Increased internal resistance shows up in reduced ability to deliver high current.

No matter what you do... LiPos will show significant loss of ability to deliver current and reduced useful capacity at appx 3 to 4 years.

Pay reasonable attention to the storage conditions and you'll be fine and get hundreds of charge/discharge cycles (if you don't push above rated current and don't deep discharge every cycle) Push extreme current and deep discharge and you can kill a pack in 5 cycles.

Storage has far less effect than how you use the pack as long as you avoid storing above 90 F. Temperature is the biggest factor in pack life.

Pushing high current makes the packs hot. Deep discharge makes the packs hot. If its uncomfortable to hold the pack when you pull it from the plane at the end of a flight then you are significantly decreasing your battery's life.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:17 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Storage charge is good practice for long term storage. Those packs will hold charge for a year easy.