Best 4CH Trainer Planes - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Best 4CH Trainer Planes

Old 03-06-2015, 12:52 AM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

yeah i wanted to wait for warmer weather so i didnt have to worry about hands going numb or anything like that I am jumping up and down im so excited to get it.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:55 PM
jpeggy

Default Trainstar?

Haven't heard much comment on the Trainstar.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:37 PM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

Never heard of it.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:17 PM
jpeggy

Default The Trainstar Trainer

It is sold by Hobby King I just ordered one. The reviews on you tube are good. It has a hard plastic fuselage the reviews says it will take a lot of abuse. I have been flying the Flyzone Sensei I really like it. I'm 75 and my reflexes are not what they used to be. Until this year I haven't flown in 50 years. I used to fly competition control line in my younger days.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:07 AM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

I will look it up i have a cub and like it being foam because it is so easy to repair
Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 AM
jpeggy

Default Trainstar

I just got my Trainstar from Hobby King. It looks really impressive. A hard plastic fuselage and smooth foam wing. I probably will fly it this week.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:54 PM
maxflyer

Some good responses here. I constructed several of my own simple foam 3 and 4 channel trainers to start. When I got to the "boring" stage I just recovered the electronics and moved on.

My first factory job was the Fun Cub. Though I was really good with my lightweight 4 ch trainers, the FC stepped me up into another realm. It was faster because it was a much larger scale. I was used to the lower speeds of my lightweights and stalled the Cub on the second flight, nosing it in.

I had to learn that FASTER is usually a part of moving up. I mean that in the sense that, you have to keep the speed up on a heavier airplane. It takes more skill to vary the speeds on a larger bird. Without a huge power-to-weight ratio you have to become more aware of ENERGY MANAGEMENT. Stalls can surprise you on heavier airplanes. If you are down low and/or not expecting it, it can bite quickly and be unrecoverable. It's an experience necessary to moving up.

Once I had a couple of damaging crashes and re-builds on the FC, I "got it," and the FC quickly became a favorite all-around plane. It has held my interest, and still does. I have an un-built one still in storage.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:27 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Back to the Apprentice ....

If you check out Hobby King - they have a near exact copy of the WOT 4 called the Apprentice.

It may be listed as an intermediate trainer - but it is far more than that.

Being a clone of Chris Foss WOT 4 means it will be docile with adequate power and toned down controls. Spike her up with a good power set-up and turn up the rates and you'll have as much as you would ever want for sport aerobatics and darn-right good fun.

It really is the model that crosses the borders from first aileron to down-right Blow me down !!

My WOT 4 ( I had two actually ) - were powered by Super Tigre 61 with tuned pipe .... vertical out of hand into the clouds ! Slow down to walking pace if you wanted. Handled all the wind you could throw at it.

So there's actually an Apprentice that is NOT a toddlers SAFE toy ...

Just thought I'd mention it ... seriously considering one m'self from HK ....

Nigel
Old 03-17-2015, 06:06 PM
maxflyer

Looks good...if not very crash-worthy. Needs sizable components too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	apprentice.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	179875  
Old 03-20-2015, 03:15 AM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

Is that balsa? I would be scared to fly that thing if it is.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:03 AM
maxflyer

Yes. I'm sure it's a great flyer, but just about any impact of note would likely require some very detailed repair. I don't see this as a beginner's plane at all.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:10 AM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Balsa isn't all that hard to repair, and if you total a balsa airframe, you will have a same result on a foam version.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:47 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by maxflyer View Post
Yes. I'm sure it's a great flyer, but just about any impact of note would likely require some very detailed repair. I don't see this as a beginner's plane at all.
The original Wot4 was designed as a follow on machine from a traditional trainer. But in fact quite a few people took them from initial through to advanced.
The construction of the original Wot4 was different though. The fuselage sides were solid sheet with doublers. Wings were veneered foam, tail parts sheet. So it was a strong model.

This Apprentice copy is today's style of stringers on farmers. Much more fragile - but in fact easily repaired.

Tone this baby down and it would be a very good 4ch trainer, with experienced flyer by the side or buddy box.

Nigel
Old 03-20-2015, 02:54 PM
maxflyer

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
Balsa isn't all that hard to repair, and if you total a balsa airframe, you will have a same result on a foam version.
That depends. In spite of a lifetime of balsa experience, I have age-related blindness that makes it difficult for me to work with the precise joints required with balsa now.

I think it would be very intimidating for a newb without that kind of building experience, and who is primarily in it for the flying, to face repairs on this kind of structure.

I look at this plane after a year of flying my Fun Cub (my first factory build) and see it as probably a great flying experience. If I had started with the Apprentice I think I would have re-kitted it at least 3 times by now!

I think foam is the material of choice for today's "semi-involved" newb flyers (as long as they avoid the squishy stuff like Parkzone birds).
Old 03-20-2015, 04:12 PM
yorkiepap

@cj2563: +1 w/jpeggy regarding the Flyzone Sensei. IMO, it is one of the best beginner/trainer planes on the market & the best plane for 4ch advancement. The Sensei is my goto "relax-mode" plane & always with me on any outing. Here's a couple links to watch that may provide some enlightenment.

Denny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk96TGPLbOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9k7bHeVRIw
Old 04-11-2015, 04:27 PM
jcs327

I just returned to the hobby after being out for a few years and have always considered myself a beginner. I have the apprentice S with the safe receiver and it is by far the best flying plane I have ever owned.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:09 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by jcs327 View Post
I just returned to the hobby after being out for a few years and have always considered myself a beginner. I have the apprentice S with the safe receiver and it is by far the best flying plane I have ever owned.
Good to hear jcs ,i sold my sons regular apprentice and to be honest i miss flying it every now and then . I should have put flaps and floats on it and kept it :-( joe
Old 04-12-2015, 11:27 PM
jcs327

I have been reading up on folks taking the safe receiver out of the apprentice and using it in other planes as well. My next plane is probably going to be the carbon z cub and I am seriously considering using the safe receiver.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:41 PM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

Well you might say I went the wrong way but I ended up getting the Parkzone artizan and I love it. The 4 chanels are so much easier than the cub. It is very docile and easy to control but it also has a wild side. I maidened it 2 days ago and No crashes or even close calls it is one of my favorite planes.