My First Crash - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

My First Crash

Old 03-16-2015, 11:50 PM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

Default My First Crash

Had my maiden flight of the Delta Ray. I did a couple of stupid things. first I flew in winter from a short runway with trees on all sides of the 200ft square area. Second I flew in a 5mph or so wind. third, I was restricted to that 200ft space. finally, dumbest of all, I flew in an area where there were light posts all over the place, inside of my 200ft area! I crashed head on into a light post at quite a good clip and the plane flew apart! I thought my plane was broken forever, but because I decided not to use a drop of glue everything was repairable, and only a few things sustained real damage. One thing is confusing me. Why is there no piece securing the landing gear into the plane? the part is only holding onto the very edge of the foam!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:59 PM
birdDog
Charging....

We all do it. Dust that baby off and get back in the air! We spend quite a bit of time on the bench compared to behind the sticks. Well, some of us at least.
Not familiar with the specific model but the LG could be designed to break away vs. a catastrophic failure.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:02 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Crashing is all part of the hobby
No matter how good the SAFE technology is it cannot protect you from flying into lamp posts!
It is all too easy to get impatient particularly as a beginner and not wait for the right weather conditions.
You will be amazed how easy it is to fly in still calm conditions and how infrequently such conditions occur!
The wind itself is not the real problem but the turbulence created as it passes over trees and buildings most definitely is.
Keep going.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:59 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

Yep. We all crash. My personal nemesis is an old barn next to my landing approach.
It's claimed 3 planes already.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:05 AM
cj2563
Newbie Pilot

Hey i have a super cub and when I crashed the first time i thought it was the end of the world my first mistake was buying some $20 glue that wouldn't hold so get yourself a hot glue gun and only buy clear sticks the milky ones don't hold. My advice and some may not agree but that is my 2 cents for the day.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:24 AM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

Thanks for the support. I did my repairs solely with a multitool and a hot glue gun. When it hit the post it looked like it exploded and I thought I was a goner. It turns out that it only took one hour to fix! Nothing seems to be structurally compromised (except the front gear which completely separated. Should be strong again now that I hot glued it back on.) Still surprised that the gear doesn't connect to a larger internal piece...

Quanum fpv! Gonna try it as soon as I get the hang of flying it LOS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 3-16-15 at 10.19 PM.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	179873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 3-16-15 at 10.23 PM.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	179874  
Old 03-17-2015, 07:04 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Save the FPV until you can fly the Ray comfortably in 'Experienced Mode'. Remember that you aren't really flying the plane when in beginner mode because SAFE is doing most of the flying for you.
IMHO you want to move out of beginner mode as soon as you can because you will pick up really bad habits when flying in that mode, these habits will make it difficult to move on.

Most of all though, do yourself a favour and find a better flying site. Save flying from small restrictive sites until you have the skills to cope.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:51 PM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

Thanks for the FPV advice.

I actually find it easier to fly in intermediate mode than beginner mode. This is because I have flown a simulator before so I really hate having to constantly hold full stick to turn. Plus in beginner mode the plane seemed to be slower and more apt to stall. is there a speed limiter in beginner?

I certainly won't be going to that place again! I have a nice field but I will need to wait until the field dries up before using it.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:26 PM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

I just did a taxiing test with my plane and the quanum fpv. It seems that having any obstruction at all between the tx and rx such as a small pile of snow completely cuts of the signal. Also, would the bouncing involved in taxiing be enough to cause the signal to cut off? If not, what could be causing my weak/ non-existent signal? could t be that my wires are not securely taped to the plane's body?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

Check your antenna placement in the plane. You could be getting interference from components in the plane.
Also, what are you using to power the transmitter and camera?
If it is the recommended battery size the fpv equipment will probably be too heavy for the delta ray.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:28 PM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

The signal is perfect when the plane is at rest, it is just when the plane starts to move that it occurs. Can it still be caused by the things you mentioned?

7.4v 800mah lipo
Old 03-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

Sound like a voltage drop. Are you powering it with a separate lipo or the one from the plane?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:37 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Agreed, if you are powering it off the BEC in the ESC then you are probably overloading the BEC.

Movement itself should effect the signal, all RC models are designed to move!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:10 PM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

I have a separate battery. Should movement completely cut the signal? I get about 1/3 of a frame every couple of seconds but just static otherwise if the plane is moving
Old 03-18-2015, 04:23 AM
gadgeter
It's a Possibility!

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Save the FPV until you can fly the Ray comfortably in 'Experienced Mode'. Remember that you aren't really flying the plane when in beginner mode because SAFE is doing most of the flying for you.
IMHO you want to move out of beginner mode as soon as you can because you will pick up really bad habits when flying in that mode, these habits will make it difficult to move on.

Most of all though, do yourself a favour and find a better flying site. Save flying from small restrictive sites until you have the skills to cope.

Very good point about flying in safe mode with a safe capable plane. A lot of people think they are good pilots cuz they can fly like that. Get them on a manual stick and it's straight to the hard deck.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:07 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by theapplepi3.14 View Post
The signal is perfect when the plane is at rest, it is just when the plane starts to move that it occurs. Can it still be caused by the things you mentioned?

7.4v 800mah lipo
You crashed so the receiver went through a catastrophic event. There is a chance that the receiver has been damaged. Or that the servo wire that goes to the throttle is damaged.

Are you getting a signal loss, nothing responds, or are you getting indications from the receiver that you are losing power? Two different problems.

Have you done a complete range check from all angles around the plane including upside down? With motor off and with motor at 1/4 speed?

TEST

With the plane on the bench, radio on, plane on, have someone move the sticks, slowly, as you wiggle wires, shake the plane, rotate it in the air, turn it upside down, etc. This can be done with the prop removed for safety.

Do you have another receiver that you can test with the plane? Doesn't have to have all the features, just enough that you can perform this bench test.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:11 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

First crash ...... arrrrr a Virgin !

Said the Actress to the Bishop.

Many more of those to come I'm afraid ..... Over 45yrs modelling and I still have butterflies when it comes to maidens and ressurecting old models. I have a standard ritual .... kisses and Please Please Please 3x to the sky before opening throttle.

As regards the loss of signal. Sounds like bad antenna or loose connection somewhere. These often prove to be real pain to solve .... usually best way is to disconnect ALL and start again connecting one by one checking each step till you get error.

I always remember a show model I had. At displays I had a small glow 20 powered model that I did crazy stunts with ... we went to a school gala day and as usual I was programmed to fly this and my grossly overpowered Wot4. The QB was great in hand ... all checked out fine. My launcher moved forward a few feet and control was lost. He moved back and all fine ... moved forward again to launch ... lost.
Turned out the 35mhz trailing wire antenna had broken its solder connection in the Rx. Now that was in the days when Rx's were more substantial affairs than today's 2.4's.
I have had a number of 2.4 Rx's break antenna connection ... they just don't have the same as older gear.

Nigel

Nigel
Old 03-18-2015, 04:38 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by theapplepi3.14 View Post
I have a separate battery. Should movement completely cut the signal? I get about 1/3 of a frame every couple of seconds but just static otherwise if the plane is moving
talking about 'frames' and 'static' makes me think you are talking about lack of reception to your FPV screen... not lack of reception between Tx and Rx?

Easily fixed, take the FPV off it. Sounds like for now you have enough of a challenge learning to fly the plane without worrying about FPV.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:14 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
talking about 'frames' and 'static' makes me think you are talking about lack of reception to your FPV screen... not lack of reception between Tx and Rx?

Easily fixed, take the FPV off it. Sounds like for now you have enough of a challenge learning to fly the plane without worrying about FPV.
Must admit had me scratching head for a while....

Have to agree .... learn to fly first.

Must be one of those "open box and fly jobs" ??

Nigel
Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 PM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

I got the FPV for my RC car too. Sadly, my Rc car is broken

While the flying weather is bad I would like to fix the FPV so that I don't become impatient and try to fly again before I can.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:14 PM
theapplepi3.14
Totally Non-Newtonian

Im starting to think it is the positioning. Is there a certain electronic device on a plane that is known to cause interference? BTW under normal conditions I can shake and turn the fpv all I want and it doesn't do a thing, but once it is near my idling plane it becomes much less forgiving