what wouldnt you get again? - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

what wouldnt you get again?

Old 08-01-2006, 03:03 AM
timocharis
Dave North

I'm pretty sure I'll never get another slow stick. For one thing, my first one is still functional after three years and several attempts to destroy it. Cockroaches will be learning to fly on it just before universal heat death.

It's like a bad penny, a monkey's paw, a stalker. Even combat won't finish it off. Maybe I can give it to some unwary noob...

Dave
Old 08-01-2006, 03:24 AM
mars

Originally Posted by Ribcracker View Post
Let me see if I've got this straight, Q. If I like a certain product because of positive experience with it, such as reliability, durability or good customer service, and this is a product that you don't like because of your own personal experience with it, that makes me a shill or cavalry or an ass-istant? Wow! That is some kind of intolerance! Ya know, I used to have a lot of respect for you before you turned into a tyrant.
You remind me of George Bush. It's your way or the highway. What a creep!
Maybe you need to read your OWN sig.----> It's easy to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.

Keep your politics to yourself please, and rc in here.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:46 AM
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

You're right. I'm sorry. That was uncalled for.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Bigfoot21075

Knowing what I know now, I would have avoided my Hitec Laser 4 and gone right to the Optic 6, I was surprised at how fast I ourgrew the Laser 4.

I also would not have bought the Wattage Sport Bipe, TOTAL waste of money. Clearly I am not the only one who found this out as it has been discontinued.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:03 AM
glenclif
Batteries Not Included

After all of the glitching prolems I would never buy another Hitec Optic 6 radio with a Spectra module. It would be a great radio if it would ever work. Mine is enroute to Hitec service for the 3rd time in less than a year with the same exact problem.

Hitec makes some great products, unfortunately this is not one of them.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 AM
rebell
JustFlying

On the Hitec Optic 6 and any other radio, I found the main cause of glitches to be the combination with some brands of ESC. This is amplified by the arrangement within the plane. Keep the receiver and ESC as far from each other as possible and also, the receiver from the servos. Very important, keep the receiver/ESC cable away from the servos.

Just recently, even knowing this, I routed the receiver/ESC cable directly by the elevator servo. When I was busy setting up the plane for the maiden, I worked the elevator servo and the motor would start running out of control. My first thought was that there was some electronic failure. After a while I saw the cable next to the servo, and by re-routing it, the problem was solved 100%.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Bigfoot21075

My waste of $$ was the Wattage Sport Bipe - This thing truly sucked and could not get off the ground. Shortly after I bought it they discontinued it. Never another Wattage Product after that.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:05 PM
rebell
JustFlying

You did say that in post 179 as well.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Bigfoot21075

Originally Posted by rebell View Post
You did say that in post 179 as well.
I also would NOT get Alzhiemers! LOLLOL

STOP the voices!

You know - thought this post looked familiar! This just shows - I WAS SCARRED by the Damien possesed non-flyer!

REDRUM, REDRUM, REDRUM
Old 09-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Eric_N57105

Default GWS-Free Zone

Continuing love-hate relationship with Slow Stick: I bought one to learn on. Too fragile for beginner. Too fragile as I gained experience, but less of an issue. It's fun to fly in wind, but the fuse still kinks too easily. Relationship continues as a Stevens Aero Stik. SA parts are ROCK SOLID. GWS is same needlessly fragile fuse. Pretty bad when the strongest part of a plane is the balsa.

Short relationship with E-Starter: Real short. Everyone admits they areone step below a Sav-On beer cooler for quality, but they all rave about how it flies. I thought it was a needlessly complicated kit for a beer co...I mean, airplane. After it was done, I was like the carpenter that knows every flaw in his work that others won't notice. I hated the plane. But finally decided to fly it. I put it down on the floor while loading other planes to go fly and my dog, Maggie, freaked out. She jumped on its back breaking the fuse in 2 places and the wing in 3. I gotta remember not to bring home any beer coolers.

Eric
www.ke6us.com
Old 09-19-2006, 01:14 AM
BBird

Hitec Feather... never again

Been lucky with GWS Rx's (10 4ch, 2 6ch), Thunder Power batteries (8 2100, 2 1320, 8 730, 4 480) and E-Flite servos (S-75), no complaints.

Can't understand why DepronUSA bumped the price of full sheets by 60% the 6mm was $7 6 months ago, it's $11 now (other than sheer greed). Would stop buying from them in a microsecond, but can't find an alternate source for full sheets.

Fence sitting on Wattage. I love the stuff I got, but when they discontinue the airplane (often) they don't keep the parts around...
Old 09-19-2006, 01:54 AM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

Just to play the other side of the coin....
I have 4 Thunder Power lipo's and haven't had any problems with them yet, and I've been using them for quite awhile. I did have one pack puff up on me, but it was after a crash.

I would never buy the E-flite Ultimate 3D FX again. I know many people had good luck with it, but the quality on mine seemed so-so and it just never seemed to fly right. It hangs from the ceiling now, just a display bird
Old 09-19-2006, 02:03 AM
Tom Moody

Originally Posted by BBird View Post
Hitec Feather... never again

Can't understand why DepronUSA bumped the price of full sheets by 60% the 6mm was $7 6 months ago, it's $11 now (other than sheer greed). Would stop buying from them in a microsecond, but can't find an alternate source for full sheets.
You do realize Depron, like most plastics, is made from oil don't you. Get used to it, it's going to get a lot worse.

Tom Moody
Old 09-19-2006, 02:07 AM
dmmalish
r/c crash test "DUMMY"

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
I'd avoid everything with the name Thunder Power on it if I had to do it over again. Wasting over $500 on rubbish is not my idea of a good investment.
what batterys do you use i'mm very interested getting ready to get into lipos very soon looking for some good advice
Old 09-19-2006, 02:14 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Well since Qban can't answer that question I'll say I have never had any problems with my TP either, just like Vax they have worked pretty well for me. My favorite brand now is

www.commonsenserc.com

They have a great product at a great price and their customer service is the best. No questions asked return policy.

Last edited by firemanbill; 09-19-2006 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:18 AM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

I thought about trying some Kokam packs at one point. But now I think Kokams are unavailable, I'm not sure what happened.

Edit: Looking at that Common Sense RC site, I'll probably buy some packs from them. They seem to be honest and know what they're doing.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:51 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by vax6335 View Post
I thought about trying some Kokam packs at one point. But now I think Kokams are unavailable, I'm not sure what happened.

Edit: Looking at that Common Sense RC site, I'll probably buy some packs from them. They seem to be honest and know what they're doing.
Common Sense is Great! They're the only Lipos I have. Unless something changes, they'll probably be the only place I buy batteries from.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:48 AM
BBird

Originally Posted by Tom Moody View Post
You do realize Depron, like most plastics, is made from oil don't you. Get used to it, it's going to get a lot worse.

Tom Moody
Really? Just filled up at $2.09. Do you happen to have a breakdown of the amount of petroleum used to produce Depron? Last time I looked, there is less styrene in a sheet of Depron than a CD jewel case and those are still pennies.

Also, why have other sources of smaller sheets remained constantly priced despite inventory levels that show ups and downs (i.e. they have restocked)? The price at the sources in Europe does not appear to have moved much in the last year either.

My guess is still "aggresive pricing"...

Last edited by BBird; 09-19-2006 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:28 AM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

http://www.rcfoam.com/

You can also get depron from them. I don't know how their pricing compares to Depron USA, but the last time I checked, Depron USA sold larger sheets than rcfoam does.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:53 PM
BBird

Vax (mine was an 11/780 way back when... unless your handle isn't referring to DEC equipment in which case please dismiss this parenthesis). I have tried contacting rcfoam via email and phone to see if they will sell larger sheets for local pickup, but in a month of trying I have been unable to get a response. Guess I'll just have to grin and bear it or get over my fanfoldphobia.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:24 AM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

Hobbico AERO CRUISER

It was the very first plane I bought. What an absolute POS. Its an ARF and comes with everything. Tx, Rx, battery, etc.. The thing is soo woefully underpowered its not funny. I had to basically throw it as hard as I could from handlaunch to get it up in the air. I could gain about 50 feet a minute, as long as I did a slow circle. Batteries lasted about 5 mins max. I learned to fly it myself believe it or not. What an experience. The wing loading was so high, it was like landing a jet. I can tell you this, if you could fly one of these 3 channel planes, you can certainly fly a quality 4 channel plane. My new Magpie Sport is sooo much better, its hard to believe I actually thought that the Cruiser was what a "normal" plane was like. Anyway, it was fun enough to keep me flying, and I did learn how to do a single loop a flight lol. Thank god they discontinued them, thats all I can say.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	scar tissue.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	17236  
Old 09-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Mike Freas

I scaned through the last few pages of this thread and didn't see the most important "what I wouldn't buy again" item....anything Nitro!

I don't know if I can say I will never buy another but I just sold my nitro heli so I'm all e-powered now and love it.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:06 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
I scaned through the last few pages of this thread and didn't see the most important "what I wouldn't buy again" item....anything Nitro!

I don't know if I can say I will never buy another but I just sold my nitro heli so I'm all e-powered now and love it.
I couldn't say that because I've never had a nitro! Started electric and loving it!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:52 AM
jcblough

Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post

Did the same, but sold my nitro highwing trainer. I like nitro in trucks, but it stops there.

I'm sure I've posted this in this thread but put the firebird freedom and any and all parkzon/hobbyzone battery packs.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:45 PM
raynet11
Foamologist

GWS A-10 with the 370motors and the 55 fans. The plane flys very well on a 3cell lipo but you might as well learn to catch the thing because even the softest of landings results in a epoxy mixing session , granted I belly landed mine but what a fragile plane.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10186 seconds with 13 queries