Piper L1 - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Piper L1

Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM
1geo1
George

The back of my mind was already thinking( alright-Chel suggested) a uBEC to
avoid "brownout". A wiring schematic or link to one would be greatly appreciated.
Also it seems a good amount of time , $, and LEARNING is going to go in to this one, thinking about
the rec.ready sensei trainer while I work the L-1 out, I already have the ttx650 and
spare receiver
Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default UBEC

Originally Posted by 1geo1 View Post
avoid "brownout". A wiring schematic or link to one would be greatly appreciated.
Also it seems a good amount of time , $, and LEARNING is going to go in to this one, thinking about
the rec.ready sensei trainer while I work the L-1 out, I already have the ttx650 and
spare receiver
Here you go George just remove the red center bec wire from the ESC small receiver connector and tape it up, so it does not fight the UBEC.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...highlight=ubec

10 amp Castle Creation UBEC

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...0&pid=B3144784
Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

spare receiver
Yeah
I just picked up a Castle Creations Talon 90 Amp ESC with a 9 Amp uBEC built in. That uBEC is rated for 20 amps for 1/2 second, which should cover just about everything out there.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 AM
1geo1
George

NICE ! Now, I am more confused than ever, but in a good way, I think...
gonna swallow my pride and get the foam trainer while we do this build/put together project- thanks
for all the input- LOVE this site.
Was almost thinking about glo at this point ( geo hangs head low, tail between legs and slinks away),
but I love a challenge !
Old 08-07-2013, 02:08 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

NICE ! Now, I am more confused than ever, but in a good way, I think...
gonna swallow my pride and get the foam trainer while we do this build/put together project- thanks
for all the input- LOVE this site.
Was almost thinking about glo at this point ( geo hangs head low, tail between legs and slinks away),
but I love a challenge !
Here is a nice Foam Trainer, all the required power system is listed on the page.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/MULTIPLE...CUB-MXP101.htm
Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ZSthnsAwM[/media]
Old 08-08-2013, 05:04 PM
1geo1
George

I like it ! Was thinking about a small scratch built foamie for "anywhere" flying also, recommendations ? Would have asked sooner but lightning took out my internet
cable for the second time in 3 weeks-, got to love electricity-lol.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Flat foam profile planes are a lot of Fun

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...3&pid=G0584265

Old 08-09-2013, 06:13 PM
1geo1
George

The L-1 arrived today ! Preliminary inspections found it packaged very well, no damage...
although It could easily be damaged seperating all the packing tape ( maybe thats what happened in some reviews ?) The photocopied instructions are mostly pictures and would NOT suit a pure beginner. Construction is extremely light ( but strong). Not a true ARF (IMHO). That being said- I'm going to enjoy this one- with some already planned mods .
I'll keep you all posted. Also ordered other items from nitroplanes at same time- ALL came in great condition.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:50 PM
1geo1
George

OK, I am at the point of continuing with the L-4 ( although I've been scouting for foam-lol) and ready to order complete power system, and servos, your recent replies sorted out servo questions, I know chel and Kyle will read this so was thinking the 60 size coneversion as Chellie recommended and life batts, without seperate receiver battery as posted elsewhere, also already have a 73p-3AxisGyro for fixed wing. Now batteries- I need some more help, Thanks to all. Oh, will do assembly/build thread when I have all components. I Want the cellpro 8 charger but with all this out of budget- "get by" charger ?
Back to the flight sim......
Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 AM
stemo99

If you read the reviews on the Nitro page, no one is using anything near as large as a 50 or 60 motor. Most are using a 25 to 32 size motor. I have a Sig Seniorita with a headsup 32, 60 amp switching bec, and with 4s lipos get 780watts unlimited vertical. I've flown it with 3s lipos and it will fly scale no problem. If you want ripping performance, a 46 with 4s lipo will more than do it.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:27 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stemo99 View Post
If you read the reviews on the Nitro page, no one is using anything near as large as a 50 or 60 motor. Most are using a 25 to 32 size motor. I have a Sig Seniorita with a headsup 32, 60 amp switching bec, and with 4s lipos get 780watts unlimited vertical. I've flown it with 3s lipos and it will fly scale no problem. If you want ripping performance, a 46 with 4s lipo will more than do it.
Hi Stemo The Sig Seniorita Is a nice plane Its also a Kite, its very very lite being a stick built plane, The L-1 is a little heavier with a 72" wing span, Ver the 63" W/S on the EP Sig Seniorita, a 72" W/S has a lot of Drag to it, a 25 or 32 motor will fly it, but it will be a dog in the air, I am Guilty of Over Powering my Planes but i like the Benefit of Having a bigger motor than whats needed, because most E Power Planes come out Tail Heavy, I would Rather have the weight of a larger motor, than having to add dead lead weight to get the CG, all the power of a larger motor does not have to be used, its just nice to have to get out of a tight spot just incase, and a larger motor does not have to work very hard to keep it flying, Now, if the wind comes up and it has a 25 motor in it, who do you think is going to win, the wind or the plane I think the Wind will blow it all over the place, Its nice to have the power when needed. Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 PM
stemo99

Wink

Chellie, didn't imply that a 50 or 60 was the wrong motor to use, just asked if the op read the reviews that stated the motors being used by people who actually own and fly them. One review stated with a 32 he needed no extra weight to acheive correct CG. Oh yeah, my "kite" weighs in at just under 5 1/2 lbs. Just sayin.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:32 AM
1geo1
George

Chellie also recommended a fifty size, so it shall be
Old 08-19-2013, 12:45 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

The thing to understand about Chellie is that she likes to build planes that will break the sound barrier going straight up.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:50 AM
1geo1
George

That is ok, my next project will be larger, so, if this is overpowered I'll be one
step ahead
And straight up and altitude is good, right ? LOL
Old 08-19-2013, 04:30 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Chellie also recommended a fifty size, so it shall be
Just make sure that the Motor will fit in the cowl and you will be fine I recommended a bigger motor for 3 reasons, one is that you wanted to use A123 batteries, they are heavier than lipos, the second reason is that you have a 72" W/S, thats is going to be a lot of Air Drag on the plane, and a larger motor will pull it through the air Better, third reason is that a larger heavier motor will help you with the CG, as most e power planes tend to come out Tail Heavy, hopefully, you wont have to add any dead weight to get the CG correct, Take care and Have fun, Chellie
Old 08-19-2013, 04:39 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
The thing to understand about Chellie is that she likes to build planes that will break the sound barrier going straight up.
Yea, Your right when i was flying Glow Planes, I always put a 60 size engine in Planes that required a 40 size nitro engine, I never had a power issue with them LOL,
My engine of Choice was a K&B61, I love that engine lots of power and it never let me down, and best of all, I never had to add dead weight to get the CG , the extra weight of a larger engine / Motor always seem to work out great with Nitro and E Power to get the CG, I hate having to adding dead Weight
Old 08-22-2013, 03:33 PM
1geo1
George

Change in plan, 60 size it will be, want to test it for a scratchbuild idea anyway

Last edited by 1geo1; 08-26-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 PM
1geo1
George

another change in plans- the CC 10 amp uBEC will be incorporated to save rec. batt weight