Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

What should I build for my 2nd plane?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Default What should I build for my 2nd plane?

I am just finishing up my Dynaflite Butterfly build. I hope to be flying it soon.

This is my first plane in twenty years. The last one (a Goldberg Eaglet 150) didn't go so well.

I chose the Butterfly because I wanted to build something that would be an easy flier. We'll see how that goes.

I figured I should line up my second build. It'll give me something to do when I am not flying and when it is raining.

I kinda want to build a Piper Cub, but I am open to other suggestions. Remember, this will be my second plane. Kinda hoping to venture into Ailerons.

What do you all think?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I am just finishing up my Dynaflite Butterfly build. I hope to be flying it soon.

This is my first plane in twenty years. The last one (a Goldberg Eaglet 150) didn't go so well.

I chose the Butterfly because I wanted to build something that would be an easy flier. We'll see how that goes.

I figured I should line up my second build. It'll give me something to do when I am not flying and when it is raining.

I kinda want to build a Piper Cub, but I am open to other suggestions. Remember, this will be my second plane. Kinda hoping to venture into Ailerons.

What do you all think?

Sounds like you're into balsa? Did you build her from the kit or scratch from plans? I think the orignal butterfly was a gas model, no? What scale of Cub do you like? Seems like there are a bunch of plans out there and several kit versions. Want to stay with high wing? Easy flyer ?

I'm building foamies now. Can git er done cheaper,- faster and they're easier to repair considering my flying ability.

Since you have a lot of wet weather, how about a float plane like the Polaris ?

-Hawk
Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Sounds like you're into balsa? Did you build her from the kit or scratch from plans? I think the orignal butterfly was a gas model, no? What scale of Cub do you like? Seems like there are a bunch of plans out there and several kit versions. Want to stay with high wing? Easy flyer ?

I'm building foamies now. Can git er done cheaper,- faster and they're easier to repair considering my flying ability.

Since you have a lot of wet weather, how about a float plane like the Polaris ?

-Hawk
Yup, balsa. The original butterfly was a gas model, but I have converted it to elec. As far as scale is concerned, I'm not entirely sure. I thought about buying the Goldberg Anniversary, but it might be too big for park flying. The Mountain Models J3 is much smaller, with a 48" wingspan, and perhaps is better for park. Honestly, I'm not sure what to get. Perhaps a cub isn't the best choice. I just know I want to build it, as opposed to ARF.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:24 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

Kind of like your idea of the cub as the second build. Sounds and looks like a pretty good plane for some park flying.

Mountain Models makes a good product. My bet is you'd be happy with it.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:56 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

+1 on the cub,the sig 48"ws cub is very nice to build and flys nice. it really the herr piper cub kit from sig.it's only a 3 channel.

the one in the picture has been rebuilt many times....heres 2 pictures of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	march 161.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	156287   Click image for larger version

Name:	july planes 022.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	156288  
Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I recently finished the Mountain Models J-3 Cub. LINK Like all the other Mountain Models kits I've built this one is a true joy to build. It's probably the closest to scale park size Cub you can buy. It looks phenomenal when completed. I also have the Herr J-3 Cub. The AUW of the MM Cub is less than the Herr Cub is with no gear installed!

I've been trying for weeks to get out and maiden my Cub but just can't seem to make it happen. I know it'll fly perfect though. I flew Brian's personal clipped wing Cub at the Arizona Electric Festival a few years back and it was a real treat.

Joe

Last edited by Turbojoe; 01-11-2012 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-11-2012, 04:34 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Oops! Almost forgot one of the more important reasons for someone to choose a Mountain Models kit. The completeness of the kit. You'll get all the hardware you need to build it in the package. Were not talking cheap off shore crap here either. You'll get USABLE nuts, bolts, control linkage, neodymium hatch magnets, wheels etc. No need to make runs to the LHS for anything other than maybe some glue and covering. Brian sells that stuff too so you could get everything you need to get in the air in just one order.

Joe
Old 01-11-2012, 04:41 AM
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
Oops! Almost forgot one of the more important reasons for someone to choose a Mountain Models kit. The completeness of the kit. You'll get all the hardware you need to build it in the package. Were not talking cheap off shore crap here either. You'll get USABLE nuts, bolts, control linkage, neodymium hatch magnets, wheels etc. No need to make runs to the LHS for anything other than maybe some glue and covering. Brian sells that stuff too so you could get everything you need to get in the air in just one order.

Joe
Hmm... good to know.

Somewhat unrelated question:

Would I need to buy a micro receiver? I see from the MM page that I would need to buy micro servos. Did you?

-M
Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Hmm... good to know.

Somewhat unrelated question:

Would I need to buy a micro receiver? I see from the MM page that I would need to buy micro servos. Did you?

-M
Oops, nevermind. There it is listed under "Parts Needed":

1 roll lightweight covering (SoLite or similar)
Optional: Extra covering or trim sheets for detail work as desired for finish
Paint for cowling and engine details
Thin and thick CA
Epoxy, 5 to 10 minute
4 channel transmitter minimum
Micro receiver, 4 ch. minimum
2 ea. HS-55 servos (or similar) for rudder and elevator
2 ea. GWS Pico/Naro servos (or similar) for ailerons
2 ea. 12 inch servo extensions
Servo Y-Extension for aileron servos (or 5ch RX, and TX capable of running 2 aileron servos)
Brushless Power Systems:
Custom CDR Single, GWS 2205-15T outrunner, or sililar 70 to 100 watt outrunner.
LiPo Battery (from 800 to 1200 mAh)
Brushed Power System:
GWS EPS350 "C"
Micro brushed ESC, 10A minimum
GWS 9x7 2-blade prop
8-cell, 650 mAh NiMH battery
Old 01-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
+1 on the cub,the sig 48"ws cub is very nice to build and flys nice. it really the herr piper cub kit from sig.it's only a 3 channel.

the one in the picture has been rebuilt many times....heres 2 pictures of it.
Thanks! I went to the Sig website and found the manual link:

http://www.kavanrc.de/instructions/h...iperj3cuba.pdf

8 whole pages. Was it a difficult build?

What motor did you use?

Also, did you go std or micro servos?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:14 AM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

I had the Mountain Models L-4 and it was a joy to fly. It is very light and will fly on a small inexpensive motor and lipo. The other thing is since it is light with a slight increase in battery size you can fly for 20-30 minutes.

I also like the Pats Custom Models Cubs and Champ. A little more involved build but very scale and just as light (somewhat larger at 53").

http://www.patscustom-models.com/index.html

Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

hi mojo, most of the kits posted here by sig or mountain models in the 48"ws are straight foward builds. great for building confidence and gaining experience for larger more difficult builds.very enjoyable!!

the herr/sig j3cub is a solid bird,it flys well in a schoolyard with multible sports fields to fly over. i would suggest if your space is limited for flying that you don't go much larger than 48"ws....35" herr pitts speacial is a rocket using an eflight 480 motor with a 40amp esc and 3 cell1500mah 20c lipo....i get 8 min flight times doing aerobatics. i think a 450 eflight would be sufficent for the herr/sig cub. i flew it on a no name brand china motorwith a 30amp esc and a 9x4.7 sf prop.

i will say this...pats custom model pictured looks sweet,but also frail to a hard landing.

here are a few options for park flyers that would be fun to build and modify by researching build threads on the different forums. they are more of a handful to fly ,but go exactly where ya point them ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	july planes 041.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	156327   Click image for larger version

Name:	minisport 004.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	156328   Click image for larger version

Name:	minisport 151.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	156329  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:59 AM
foodstick

I am not sure this plane is of any interest to you, but a Sig 4 star 25 might be a good second?
Its the small one designed as a electric plane as well.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

What should I build for my 2nd plane?

I'm not a good person to ask these questions to.
I'd probably say something like the Guillows FW190. Excellent second plane.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Thanks to all who posted!

I decided to go with the Mountain Models J3.

Now I just have to wait patiently
Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Thanks to all who posted!

I decided to go with the Mountain Models J3.

Now I just have to wait patiently
Good choice! You won't regret it.

Joe
Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Did you get your kit yet? Brian is usually pretty fast at getting a kit into your hands.

The build is very straightforward with no surprises. I doubt you'll have any problems but be sure to ask here if you do. Maybe start your own build thread and link to it from this one if you do so we can follow along.

Only one suggestion I can offer and that's to save the wing strut construction until the absolute last step of the airframe build. Cover everything and make certain the wing is warp free. Then and only then bolt them all in place on the fuse and wing. Slip the wing struts into the tabs and glue them all together (making sure you don't glue them to the wing or fuse!) This will hold the wing straight from now on.

I spent a lot of time making certain that my wing was absolutely perfect only to find it had a warp after bolting on the built struts. I had to soak the strut ends in acetone to loosen the CA so I could remove the tabs and re-glue. Not a huge problem but I should have paid more attention in the first place. These are functional struts and with so many factors at work during construction like amount of sanding you've done, build experience, humidity etc you'll probably need to allow for some inconsistencies. This is not a problem with the kit in any way. Just something you need to account for in your individual build. Sorry to be so long winded about such a minor issue but it could save you some head scratching later on.

Mine is sitting still not maidened. As usual the weekend coming up that I could fly will have crappy weather. This has been happening since I finished the build.

Joe
Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Did you get your kit yet? Brian is usually pretty fast at getting a kit into your hands.

The build is very straightforward with no surprises. I doubt you'll have any problems but be sure to ask here if you do. Maybe start your own build thread and link to it from this one if you do so we can follow along.

Only one suggestion I can offer and that's to save the wing strut construction until the absolute last step of the airframe build. Cover everything and make certain the wing is warp free. Then and only then bolt them all in place on the fuse and wing. Slip the wing struts into the tabs and glue them all together (making sure you don't glue them to the wing or fuse!) This will hold the wing straight from now on.

I spent a lot of time making certain that my wing was absolutely perfect only to find it had a warp after bolting on the built struts. I had to soak the strut ends in acetone to loosen the CA so I could remove the tabs and re-glue. Not a huge problem but I should have paid more attention in the first place. These are functional struts and with so many factors at work during construction like amount of sanding you've done, build experience, humidity etc you'll probably need to allow for some inconsistencies. This is not a problem with the kit in any way. Just something you need to account for in your individual build. Sorry to be so long winded about such a minor issue but it could save you some head scratching later on.

Mine is sitting still not maidened. As usual the weekend coming up that I could fly will have crappy weather. This has been happening since I finished the build.

Joe
I haven't received my kit yet. I did get a shipment notification though.
I appreciate the build tips. I will heed your warnings.

The weather has been cold, windy, and rainy here in the Pacific Northwest, so I am guessing I will have lots of build time and not a lot of flying time.
That's alright, at least my hobby has an indoor component. I can't imagine just buying an ARF and sitting around twiddling my thumbs.

-M
Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I can't imagine just buying an ARF and sitting around twiddling my thumbs.

-M
Ladies and gentlemen please give a warm welcome to our latest TRUE modeller! Unfortunately we're becoming a dying breed.

Joe
Old 01-20-2012, 02:11 AM
Mojo
Is it still raining?

Ladies and gentlemen please give a warm welcome to our latest TRUE modeller! Unfortunately we're becoming a dying breed.

Joe
HA!

Btw, when I came home today, the MM kit was sitting on my porch!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I told you Brian was fast. Now the real fun begins. Are you going to start a new build thread?

Joe
Old 01-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Mojo
Is it still raining?

I told you Brian was fast. Now the real fun begins. Are you going to start a new build thread?

Joe
Not quite yet. I need to wrap up the butterfly first. She's all covered, I just need to do some assembly and trimming. Ideally I would get her out for a flight but the torrential rain is making that seem unlikely.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Back in 2000 when I got back into the hobby after a 15 year absence and wanted a nice plane to "re-learn" on I narrowed it down to the Butterfly (when it was made by Craft-Air) and the Mountain Models SwitchBack. I went with the SwitchBack and never regretted it. I've had 9 of them and still have 5 flyable. I always wondered about the Butterfly though. If I could find a kit cheap enough I think I'd build one. Powered gliders can be a lot of fun too.

Joe
Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Mojo,

Put that Butterfly on the shelf and get going on the MM Cub. I finally maidened mine today. I simply can't imagine any plane flying better than this Cub. Zero bad tendencies. No typical Cub tip stall at slow speeds. Perfect manners at even the lowest flying speeds. Landings can not be botched! Keep in mind I've flown absolutely nothing in well over a year. I flew close to 40 minutes on 2 packs and loved every second. I posted the maiden info over on RC Groups only because it has a much bigger J-3 thread. Link is HERE.

Joe
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 PM
1geo1
George

Last week I recieved the L4 cub kit from nitroplanes- 71" WS- Looks good so far and....
on sale right now