Another Attempt at Flight - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Another Attempt at Flight

Old 02-18-2012, 09:26 PM
RC Dad

Default Another Attempt at Flight

Hi All,

Posted this on a couple other forums and thought I would here as well.

Completed my second plans built foamy and took it our for it's Maiden Flight. I should have waited for my son to do it as he is a better pilot. Oh well, I had the time, the weather was right and It was sitting there mocking me.

I set out to put a quick video of the event together and the boy and I started goofing around with the video editor and this was the result...Hope you enjoy it!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSqvzEieqpA[/media]
Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

That was pretty good!! Nothin better than seein something you built fly.....for a little bit!lol

I thought I was watching intro to a new mel gibson movie!

In a world.....One Pilot.....

cr
Old 02-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

LOL!!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Great soundtrack! Can't wait for the edge of your seat sequel! I have had many days like that too.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

RC Dad that was great not that ya crashed, but dang you you and the son need to come up with a sequel for sure.
Had to hit the thanks button you made my night that was funny!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

lol...made me laugh....now I'm waiting for the sequel.

no,really................i'm waiting
Old 02-19-2012, 01:56 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Kinda cool...your 12yo kid built a hovercraft (plywood and duct tape) and it carried 6 or 7 cub scouts, vid is on youtube channel, but no dramatic hollywood music...lol.....the one kid on the corner has been eatin his wheaties for sure!! pretty good

cr
Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 AM
RC Dad

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed it. We had a ball making it.

We got the X-31 repaired and going to give it another go tomorrow. Meeting up with a couple experienced flyers so I am going to let one of them try it to see if it will fly or if there is a structural problem with the plane (either from original build or the repair job).

In the evening we get to connect with a couple of other folks to do some indoor flying. Looking forward to a day of flying...Gonna be great weather too - 40+ degrees.

Oh, and don't worry, given my history, we will definitely have more footage for a sequel..probably a trilogy at least

Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2012, 06:19 PM
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Awesome! LOL! It is great to see somone who takes this hobby seriously, but not so seriously! Awaiting the sequel......
Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 AM
RC Dad

Well, took the X-31 out today and the experienced pilot had a tough go at it too. He was able to get it to fly so my roll and dive was due to too much throttle. However, there were other issues as it was really hard to control and tended to flip over. I had put the battery up top of the horizontal portion of the profile front nose. My friend thought it might have made it too top heavy. I think I may not have had the COG quite correct as well.

Well, the plane got pretty beat up. Still can probably repair it, but think I am going to put my efforts into what I hope will be a little more friendly for a noob like me to fly.

I might add that it was quite windy today so that didn't help. We were able to fly the yooungest's HK Bixler. That does well in the wind. Had my friend buddy box my son and me so we were able to put a few batteries through it without incident.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

The CG is definitely one thing that we can't get out of the manual, with these scratchbuilds. I remember just about giving up on one of my first foam scratchbuilds, an ME262 EDF55, until I realized that the undercamber wing placed the CG just about on the wing LE, through sheer experimentation. At that point, you're still not sure if you believe what you're seeing, which is that the plane is actually flying. Rudder control with considerable dihedral makes for some really interesting turns also.

Eliminating throttle/speed related problems can be difficult. I've had a few planes that I finally realized could actually be controlled, if you cut the throttle down to almost nothing. Of course it's tough to stay in the air that way, but at least it's controllable. Again, these scratchbuild issues were not addressed in the manual.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ME262_parkflyer_6_comp.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	157468