Very slow indoor plane - F3P or??? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Very slow indoor plane - F3P or???

Old 12-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Petrik59

Default Very slow indoor plane - F3P or???

Hello!
I'm now on my second indoor season.
I have flown with EPP Piaget, hommade Depron 3DX & Depron SBach 342, and most recently AP Crazy Sukhoi 29 & AP YAK55 from Auto Partner RC.
Loops & Roll is tolerable, Inverted is still a bit tricky (How can it be so difficult to fly inverted with a Depron plane when it is so easy to do outdoors with a high-wing Multiplex MiniMag) but knife edge still feels a bit "tricky".
It feels like the walls in a gymnastics hall are comming tovards me a bit to quick.
I know that I would need something that flies even slower.
I have not really understoud the difference in F3P & 3D flight, but I think that F3P model fly slower, or am I completely wrong now?
F3P models seem to to be a bit higher in the body and have a bit more wing area, is that right?
Does anyone have a good suggestion on a real slowflyer that I can build?
On RCGroups are a lot of posts about a model named Morback who apparently still considered a good F3P model though it is a few years old.
Or is there a more modern plane that I can find plans for?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:49 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Most good F3P models are under 6oz some as light as 4oz, yet they still have a wingspan of 25 to 32 in. They have a very low wing loading. Thats the secret to thier slow flight. Every gram counts!
Most competitve F3P pilots take the cases off of servo's, rx's, shorten wires to minnimal lengths, remove all plugs on servo's and solder direct to the rx. They use building methods, that use as little glue as possible. They make their own control horns, and use no hardware to connect controls. Use very small 2 cell lipo's. etc... These planes are built to fly, not crash.
Fancyfoam.com is a good place to start.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 PM
r_kopka
Electric Only

And most F3P models have additional vertical areas which help much in harrier and knife edge. My Malibu F3P needs nearly no rudder at knife edge and is very stable in harrier. Helps also at rolling circle. But they need another type of control as they won't go well around the corner if you don't steer all 3 axes.

The weight is not so important if you take a larger plane. E.g. the Indoor Hawk with 1m wingspan can fly OK even with 180g.

RK
Old 01-04-2011, 04:47 PM
DanFive0
Hanger 18

I'm in a similar dilemma. I fly my foamys outdoor, strictly my back yard. Living in NY my backyard is very small. It was fine for just learning and doing basic aerobatics, but now my flying skills are getting better but I find it hard to practice my rolling circles, blenders, etc. because the next thing I know the trees are closing in on me.
My experiment was to build an EPP foamy a tad smaller than what I was used to. So I took an old design that I flew years ago. The Leadfeather Yak55, but the most updated version. I shrunk these plans to a 28" wingspan. Using the same power system as all other 31"-33" foamys, but doing an ULTRA Light Build. 2 components were changed-5g servo for ailerons, and 2s 360bat.
With battery I'm under 6oz. but with my scale I can't tell precisely where Im at yet. There is still some modifying to do then rebuild it all over again only then will I have an exact weight, but I am shooting for 5.5oz. Still flying and testing with different locations and such, but so far it is an absolute blast. It is so nimble, I'm just getting some very stable flight and elevators or unbelievably stable, I don't think any of my bigger Yaks were as stable doing elevators.
Here she is, looks pretty nice for a proto-type.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1Yak.jpg
Views:	1279
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	141402   Click image for larger version

Name:	1yak2.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	141403   Click image for larger version

Name:	1yak3.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	141404  
Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Nice plane Dan. I've got the Slowfly 28, I just scaled it down to 18", not as floaty as the big one, but it fly's good. It came out at 3.6 oz with a 2 cell 360. Also finished my Slick using your painting tips. Thanks! You make it look so easy.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
DanFive0
Hanger 18

Nice, I had a Slofly about 2 years ago. I built a few of them. Heres my maiden vid, not very good at all. the wind was around 7-8mph, not good for a 5oz foamy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEZjmijPPAA[/media]
Old 01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Sweeeet! Nice flyin in a tight space. You got game!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:40 PM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

If you PM me with your e-mail address I can send you the flles for this plane:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919103

You can scale the drawings to whatever size you'd like. Have made this plane from 52" to 20". The 34" size is a great backyard 3D flyer or pattern practice plane. If you're looking to smooth out your flying look no further!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDka313Bwg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogVjDfr9LwM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsQ5hE9B-TY
Originally Posted by Petrik59 View Post
Hello!
I'm now on my second indoor season.
I have flown with EPP Piaget, hommade Depron 3DX & Depron SBach 342, and most recently AP Crazy Sukhoi 29 & AP YAK55 from Auto Partner RC.
Loops & Roll is tolerable, Inverted is still a bit tricky (How can it be so difficult to fly inverted with a Depron plane when it is so easy to do outdoors with a high-wing Multiplex MiniMag) but knife edge still feels a bit "tricky".
It feels like the walls in a gymnastics hall are comming tovards me a bit to quick.
I know that I would need something that flies even slower.
I have not really understoud the difference in F3P & 3D flight, but I think that F3P model fly slower, or am I completely wrong now?
F3P models seem to to be a bit higher in the body and have a bit more wing area, is that right?
Does anyone have a good suggestion on a real slowflyer that I can build?
On RCGroups are a lot of posts about a model named Morback who apparently still considered a good F3P model though it is a few years old.
Or is there a more modern plane that I can find plans for?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4621.jpg
Views:	1846
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	141833   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4938.jpg
Views:	1614
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	141834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizion 3D 1.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	141835  
Old 01-25-2012, 04:35 PM
racie34

messaged you edf
Old 01-25-2012, 06:41 PM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

Anyone else that's interested in building your own, send me your e-mail address too.

Regards,
Jason
Old 01-25-2012, 07:13 PM
racie34

thankyou Jason