I feel Stupid - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

I feel Stupid

Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
It's interesting how the wind, combined with things like an under par battery, and a slight veer tendency can ACCURATELY GUIDE A PLANE RIGHT INTO A SMALL OBJECT, even when you are doing everything you can to avoid it. We've all hit things, that we couldn't hit in a million years, if we tried intentionally to do it. There is a small bush in the otherwise open park field I fly at. My flying buddy and I have determined that unless we INTENTIONALLY TRY TO LAND 100+ YARDS AWAY FROM IT, we will end up landing directly into it.
When I did Display flying ... I was told by another who'd been doing it for years ............ AIM at the other guy .... AIM at an object ... in landing AIM at yourself ........... You will NEVER hit what you aim at !!

So far I cannot recollect any contrary to that ....
Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yup, we've all done that at one time or another. It's an attack of "Stupid" I guess.

Back in the mid 1980's I took one of my 10 foot Viking Sailplanes to a campground. Had to show it off to some friends by giving it a handlaunch where there was plenty of room. Forgot to turn on the receiver, that model headed straight toward a big swingset, and wrapped a wing around it. (No one was anywhere near the swingset)

It busted the spar, lucky it was built with Titebond glue, so heating up the glue with a heat gun allowed fixing the spar. It was flown for many years after that.
Now here's one that we can ALL relate to ....

How many of us have launched for that LAST FLIGHT before go home ? Everything fine up till then ... that last flight ends up with bag of bits !!

The Skymaster vid I linked to above was one such "last flight I know I should not have done" times ............
Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
...................................I flew right into a soccer goal upright once because I was fixated on the issues I was having with ground tracking of a tail dragger on takeoff. I lifted off and smack right into the steel upright. I felt pretty stupid that day.................
Dave
Mirage 2000, ST61 + pipe up front ..........

Lee-On-Solent naval Air Base runway ........

Start her up .... quick check of controls ......

Was showing her off to fellow club guys !

Open throttle...... she went across that tarmac like a scalded cat ..........

Straight into one of the runway guide lights ! Lifted it right off it's mount.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:09 PM
racie34

Im surprised when I started flying the law didnt step in and put an end to my silliness. I was truly unable to grasp it and just kept trying.....dangerous is what i was. goal post woulda been doing me a favor!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
My experience with my depth perception is that the manufacturer should issue a recall. My depth perception ISN'T!
LOL
As a rule of thumb, absolutely never allow your model to fly below the line of sight to the tree line on the other side of the model, unless you're landing.

We had a very large tree about 800 feet across the field from our flying field pit area. And at least once or twice a year, someone would strain a big quarter scale model through that tree.

Finally got the city to cut that tree down, but that took five years of asking.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:29 PM
CNY_Dave

Originally Posted by Monterey10 View Post
A beautiful PZ SE5a, took off, struggled with trim. Success, a moment of level, calm, steady flight, RIGHT INTO A BASEBALL BACKSTOP. SH*T. I must be the dumbest NOOB in the sport. Such a beautiful plane to smash up.

Sadness all around.

I have to recognize that I'm just not the great pilot that I see at most fields.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CNY1RC#p/u/8/gVhP42a_ZuE

Old 12-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Ouch Dave, but it WAS a three point shot!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
CNY_Dave

That was a champ, I just checked it over and kept flying.

Nothing funnier than saying to yourself 'I'm beyond that light pole, I'm sure' and then centerpunching it!

Dave
Old 12-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Monterey10

Red face Crazed

We have a crazy that shows up at our field. His hair out in all directions, clothing torn and disheveled. The other pilots, engineers with their F-15s and Strykers give him "Bob" the most respect. They ask him the most technical questions and he gets it right every time. Bob has the most tattered planes. The paint has long since blown off the wings. He uses a radio from the 1960s (a Kraft I believe)

He sends his planes up and they fly like angels. I send my plane up and it bobs and weaves around the park. Occasionally, "Bob" will tremble and he'll mutter, "stay away from that tree" or "Fence". I think he can see where the planes are going, long before they get there.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

We have a crazy that shows up at our field. His hair out in all directions, clothing torn and disheveled. The other pilots, engineers with their F-15s and Strykers give him "Bob" the most respect. They ask him the most technical questions and he gets it right every time. Bob has the most tattered planes. The paint has long since blown off the wings. He uses a radio from the 1960s (a Kraft I believe)

He sends his planes up and they fly like angels. I send my plane up and it bobs and weaves around the park. Occasionally, "Bob" will tremble and he'll mutter, "stay away from that tree" or "Fence". I think he can see where the planes are going, long before they get there.
It ain't what you got but how you fly it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bubsteve
Old 12-07-2011, 07:20 PM
sdbruder

I was so afraid to fly that handed over the TX to another guy in the field, he offered to take off and bring the model down for me.

Ive forgot to check the CG... 2 loopings and BAMN, Ground, nose-dived.

That was my first flight, I wasnt even with the TX!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Monterey10

Cool CG

CG is the killer. My mentor, a gifted pilot has struggled mightily to trim out my new planes. I think a plane is perfect, he see's a dozen critical problems

It's taken a year, but I'm starting to pay attention to the details. I can spot critical errors that I could never see last year. A servo check grounded my Alpha last week. No response from the servo on preflight.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:14 AM
CNY_Dave

Originally Posted by sdbruder View Post
I was so afraid to fly that handed over the TX to another guy in the field, he offered to take off and bring the model down for me.

Heh, loud howard from the dilbert TV show...

I fussed over the CG quite a bit before my maiden with my flightstar-40, and I keep in mind-

A plane with a too-far forward CG flies poorly,
A plane with a too-far rearward CG flies once.

Dave
Old 12-08-2011, 01:42 PM
sdbruder

Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Heh, loud howard from the dilbert TV show...
I fussed over the CG quite a bit before my maiden with my flightstar-40, and I keep in mind-

A plane with a too-far forward CG flies poorly,
A plane with a too-far rearward CG flies once.
Dave
I'll keep that in mind :p
Old 12-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Great way to say it CNY Dave!
Good advice here Sdbruder!! Welcome To wattflyer,, best mess of fly'in nuts anywhere! Bubsteve
Old 12-10-2011, 05:42 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by sdbruder View Post

This is one of the situations I would not blame you so much as the other guy.

When I get asked to fly anothers model - particularly if it's a maiden or the owner is a newcomer with model ... I always find a still air spot, fingers under the wing and lift ..... see where the CoG is. Next is quick check and see how far the surfaces move to the sticks ... Basically I want to know model has a fighting chance of actually flying reasonably.

IC model - start engine, while holding - invert and then nose up - making sure fuel is still drawing ...

Electric - run up motor make sure enough oomph !

Both give where possible a quick range test ....

ONLY then do I go for a flight.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Monterey10

Default Check out

I am coming to the same conclusions you mentioned Solentlife.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:02 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I am coming to the same conclusions you mentioned Solentlife.
Years ago in UK - I used to teach quite a few to fly ... so it's a culmination of observations.
The IC engine bit about making sure fuel draws inverted etc. - that's from a number of models I've been asked to fly that the tanks hadn't been fitted properly .....
Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 PM
littleimp

Here is a link to the chap who sticks up our clubs vids. Crash & burn after crash & burn. It's the way the hobby is, have fun with them while you got them but you will crash. Their aren't many modellers who have been doing this for years that have old planes in their hangar. You make mistakes, mechanical failure etc etc.

Look at this way, if you were spending the money on plastic or display models how much fun would you be having with them compared to your r/c's?

ARTF's are the biggest change in this hobby when it comes to this. Imagine how you would feel if you'd spent 6months building it?

Enjoy it, have fun and carry on. It's great!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tbobborap1/featured
Old 12-15-2011, 12:00 AM
CNY_Dave

I tagged a telephone pole with my flightstar 40 today- 2nd crash for this bird.

2 fuse cracks and a 7 inch run down the wing where it's damaged back to the main spar.

It helicoptered down beautifully.

Nothing compared to the damage of crash #1...

Dave
Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by littleimp View Post
............................Their aren't many modellers who have been doing this for years that have old planes in their hangar.......................
When I flew before back in 70 ... 80's - in fact I had all my planes still flying, even my first trainer - Veron Robot.

In those days ... we could strip back covering .. cut out bad .. splice in good ... recover and in many cases it was difficult to see that repair had been done. But generally had to be done at home on the bench.

Todays foam models may be easier to repair .. drop of CA / epoxy / cocktail stick etc. at field and up we go again - BUT the repair is visible. It's not so easy to hide it with a foam model ...

That brings me to a comment ... in 'old-days' at shows .. if I damaged a plane and had to repair for later flight. I had to show repair and condition to show marshalls to get OK to fly again.