What i need to build my own Rc Helicopter - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

What i need to build my own Rc Helicopter

Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Heli flyer

Default What i need to build my own Rc Helicopter

Hello i wanna ask do some ones can tell what basic parts i need?? to be able build a Rc helicopter. (with servos)
Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Seriously? OK---go buy a T-REX 450 kit, and at least a DX-6i Spektrum radio
with servos, a couple of 2100 mAh Lipo batteries, and a good charger.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:22 AM
monkobama

In my opinion,I suggest you take best charger and couple of lipo batteries.You take T-REX 450 kit and use high frequency radio.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:29 PM
bobby1699

Buy a kit of your choosing from a reputable manufacturer, and a good set of tools. The right tools make all the difference.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Today's helicopters are the sum result of 40 years and 100's designers and 1000's of helis, they are FAR more technical than you would guess. If you have an engineering degree in helicopter design, then maybe you could do it.

But seriously, like everyone says, buy a good proven kit, and build it carefully, it will be MUCH cheaper and more likely to succeed. Yes I know the kits cost a lot of money, but you would have to be a precision machinist with a lot of expensive equipment to come 1/2 way close to a kit quality.

IF you must save as much money as possible, then look at the heli kits from HobbyKing, but do not expect them to be a good as a Trex.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

here you go for $27.99 how can you go wrong

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...pat_Ver_2.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=320
Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 PM
prof_fate

The HK450 helis will work and you can get a flysky ct6b radio, batts and a skycharger and be ready for $200ish and about 6 hours of time.
You will want/need a sim, training type landing gear and some spare parts.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:15 PM
racie34

to do what you're asking? you need a few things......first and utmost you need alot of spare time on your hands that you dont value.......there's a start.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:51 AM
prof_fate

Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
to do what you're asking? you need a few things......first and utmost you need alot of spare time on your hands that you dont value.......there's a start.
Why would you say that? What is the value of 'hobby time' anyway?

I've spent countless hours reading about planes, cars, trains -both real and model to what end?
I watched Top Gear last night - an hour of 'hobby time' one could say - and it wasn't productive time by any measure you care to name.

I spent 1/2 hour today balancing and setting up the radio on my 3D plane. That has no value to it either - especially if i crash the darn thing on it's maiden! LOL
Old 12-02-2011, 01:32 AM
tampaflyer
to the skies of tampa

find a heli flyer, and ask lots of questions. you get to see what works and most a great at answer all those questions that come up.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:54 AM
racie34

Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
Why would you say that? What is the value of 'hobby time' anyway?

I've spent countless hours reading about planes, cars, trains -both real and model to what end?
I watched Top Gear last night - an hour of 'hobby time' one could say - and it wasn't productive time by any measure you care to name.

I spent 1/2 hour today balancing and setting up the radio on my 3D plane. That has no value to it either - especially if i crash the darn thing on it's maiden! LOL
reading mags,balancing a plane,radio setup...sure.........trying to make something that you can actually buy for under $50 has gotta be something for only someone with way too much spare time undertakes.
Lets see......buy a lathe and turn out the one way bearing first....then make the main gear.....we'll do the head components later
Old 12-05-2011, 05:52 PM
n3o

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
Today's helicopters are the sum result of 40 years and 100's designers and 1000's of helis, they are FAR more technical than you would guess. If you have an engineering degree in helicopter design, then maybe you could do it.

But seriously, like everyone says, buy a good proven kit, and build it carefully, it will be MUCH cheaper and more likely to succeed. Yes I know the kits cost a lot of money, but you would have to be a precision machinist with a lot of expensive equipment to come 1/2 way close to a kit quality.

IF you must save as much money as possible, then look at the heli kits from HobbyKing, but do not expect them to be a good as a Trex.
True. I am in the last semester of aerospace engineering , (all that's left to study is pretty much management work) and trust me, its much better and affordable to buy the TREX as a one time purchase. I have a couple of friends who recently introduced me to Heli world( i fly a couple of planes) and they had more than 1000 flights on the trex, (with 3 battery replacements max).

If you look at my posts , I am a penny pincher to the core. But as far as reliability is concerned nothing beats the precise manufacturing of trex or gaui. So buy a trex and stick to it. If you really want the satisfaction of making something , make a fibreglass/foam fuselage for it. My personal fav is the Airwolf.

Fly better, fly safe.

-n3o