Had a 21 minute, 32 second Flight Today... - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Had a 21 minute, 32 second Flight Today...

Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Hey now,
It's hard to do much better than a Telemaster for a big slow flyer. With the right drive and a biggish battery you'd think it could fly forever. The only thing I font care for is the hold over from free flight lifting stanilizor. It's not a bad thing per se. But for me it makes the model too floaty but if you're doing all up last downs or big lift payload games it's very hard to beat. Damned thing thermals almost as well as my Olly II.
Gotta love a flying overcast...
RobII
This bird is my first with a lifting stabilizer and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

The tail comes up after only about 10 feet of rollout and makes it VERY easy to do a controlled 300 foot slow acceleration down the grass runway to a gradual "scale-like" climb-out. This can even be done in a mild crosswind (5-10mph).

Since most birds in my club are Jumping Jacks and get yanked off the ground with the shortest possible roll-out, watching the TeleMaster roll accross the runway is a pleasant change.

The lifting stab makes for magnificant touch and go'es, also. She will float in, lightly touch down, then drive down the runway on her wheels for about 200 feet before gently lifting into the air.

After boring holes in the sky my higher performance models, the relaxed performance of the Telemaster is a treat to fly and to watch.

.,..The Bum
Old 04-29-2011, 06:01 AM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Originally Posted by Saddlebum View Post
This bird is my first with a lifting stabilizer and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

The tail comes up after only about 10 feet of rollout and makes it VERY easy to do a controlled 300 foot slow acceleration down the grass runway to a gradual "scale-like" climb-out. This can even be done in a mild crosswind (5-10mph).

Since most birds in my club are Jumping Jacks and get yanked off the ground with the shortest possible roll-out, watching the TeleMaster roll accross the runway is a pleasant change.

The lifting stab makes for magnificant touch and go'es, also. She will float in, lightly touch down, then drive down the runway on her wheels for about 200 feet before gently lifting into the air.

After boring holes in the sky my higher performance models, the relaxed performance of the Telemaster is a treat to fly and to watch.

.,..The Bum
Hey now,
Yeah they're great for that and as I said I love the design. So nice after all the high power semi rockets...
RobII
Old 05-01-2011, 02:01 AM
hillbillynamedpossum
Rode the short bus

Well Bum, I have to admit that you inspired me! I got in a 24 min 24 sec flight today. I did it on my PossumStick http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61518 and I didnt wet my pants, fall over from dizziness, or have a fit of appeplexy. Im still waiting on the pack to charge, but I didnt hit the LVC. The flight was under power except for about 1 min as I was coasting to scrub altitude. I am Excited to say the very least!

Thanks again,

Possum
Old 05-01-2011, 02:07 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Well Bum - you will be happy to know that Jason just sent me the all new HL Sr. Telemaster Plus for review at RCG. It is STUNNING. Flaps look great and the struts are all aluminum.

And most notable MUCH lighter than the other non-flap ARF version. I am confident I will be at 9lbs with 6s 3250's.

Will let you know when I get it finished. Need to get some servos for this beast.

What did you use in yours?

Mike
Old 05-01-2011, 02:29 AM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by hillbillynamedpossum View Post
Well Bum, I have to admit that you inspired me! I got in a 24 min 24 sec flight today. I did it on my PossumStick http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61518 and I didnt wet my pants, fall over from dizziness, or have a fit of appeplexy. Im still waiting on the pack to charge, but I didnt hit the LVC. The flight was under power except for about 1 min as I was coasting to scrub altitude. I am Excited to say the very least!

Thanks again,

Possum
GREAT FLIGHT, Possum! Very inpressive. I go out again tomorrow and I'm going to go for 26 minutes!

You've inspired me!

...THe Bum
Old 05-01-2011, 02:32 AM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Well Bum - you will be happy to know that Jason just sent me the all new HL Sr. Telemaster Plus for review at RCG. It is STUNNING. Flaps look great and the struts are all aluminum.

And most notable MUCH lighter than the other non-flap ARF version. I am confident I will be at 9lbs with 6s 3250's.

Will let you know when I get it finished. Need to get some servos for this beast.

What did you use in yours?

Mike
Hi Mike;

I used HiTec HS5485-HB's from Servo City. I picked them up on sale for $24.95 and like them very much.

Can't wait to see your review!

...The Bum
Old 05-01-2011, 03:18 AM
road king 97
old hat

When i was younger and wanted to fly slow i had a lazy ace bibe that would puts around the field at 5 or 6 mph at idle,seeing your telimaster makes me think about my old bibe. I will find a kit or scratch build another lazy ace before i kick the bucket, it like the telimaster are great flying slow planes. Here is a lazy ace video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yqwL1epwzk
Old 05-01-2011, 03:24 AM
K CLOSE
Huge Member

Originally Posted by hillbillynamedpossum View Post

I shake like a dog passing peach pitts!

Possum
Damn Possum, that one had me crying. I will steal that without a bit of shame Great line bro'
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

With a bit of careful design you can fly quite small (40") planes for a long time.
This was good for 1hr 36min.
Click image for larger version

Name:	EcompltS.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	147922
No lift, power on all the time and it did it on a 5Ah 2S. All up weight 21oz.

Same wing and battery but improved aerodynamics, less weight, a low kV motor and a bigger prop, this should manage nearly 2 hours.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foldfit1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	147923

More a technical exercise than truly practical as in reality repeated flights over 30 minutes get rather boring and give me a stiff neck!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
With a bit of careful design you can fly quite small (40") planes for a long time.
This was good for 1hr 36min.
Attachment 147922
No lift, power on all the time and it did it on a 5Ah 2S. All up weight 21oz.

Same wing and battery but improved aerodynamics, less weight, a low kV motor and a bigger prop, this should manage nearly 2 hours.
Attachment 147923

More a technical exercise than truly practical as in reality repeated flights over 30 minutes get rather boring and give me a stiff neck!
WOW! VERY, VERY impressive!

...The Bum
Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by road king 97 View Post
When i was younger and wanted to fly slow i had a lazy ace bibe that would puts around the field at 5 or 6 mph at idle,seeing your telimaster makes me think about my old bibe. I will find a kit or scratch build another lazy ace before i kick the bucket, it like the telimaster are great flying slow planes. Here is a lazy ace video.[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yqwL1epwzk[/media]
Very nice. I 'm learning to LOVE slow planes!

...The Bum