tips and tricks - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

tips and tricks

Old 07-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

I used to mess around with popsicle sticks and such, but
I finally went to the art supply store and bought a pallet
knife which has a really flexable blade on it. Artists use
them to mix oil paints. Use it to mix your epoxy and then
just wipe it off with a little alcohol or thinner before the
glue sets up. If you are too late, you can scrape it off with
a chisel or bench knife. One time investment--priceless tool!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM
jwims01

Ifound a nifty tool to cut film without damaging the wood. My wife just bought a coupon cutter called KRAZY Cutter at the grocery store with a ceramic blade. I was able to cut through clean as a razor the top page of a newspaper, and by varying presure, not even cut the paper under it, or cut through 3-4 sheets with a hard push. It will not cut your hand, but it DOES cut fil. And it has a magnet inside and will stick nicely to your desk lamp in the shed. It cost $1.99, and hangs from the "eyecatcher" displays hanging in the cleaning supplies area.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 PM
jwims01

She's not getting it back.....
Old 07-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now
If you don't mind getting a little dirty there are dome fine model building supplies for free or nearly free. Construction dumpsters often have biggieh end cuts of pink or blue foam. Great stuff for building or fixing wings. They also tend to have buckets with enough wall paper paste or spackle to keep you covered for years.

I know one buy who cuts the foam into wings etc and covers them with brown paper sacks and paste. His planes look good fly great and are nearly as strong as glass.

Meat trays and Togo boxes are good sources of foam to replace broken depron parts.
When I go to the store I look to see if I can use the packaging too. Pudding/yogurt/jello cups are good for mixing large amounts of epoxy or small amounts of paint. Vacume formed plastic packages work for canopies, gun turrets, and other "blisters".

If you just look with a bit of fantasy in mind you'll see some great stuff.

Cheaper parts. If you use balsa don't buy it localy get it from Lone Star Balsa in Texas the best wood I've ever seen and so very cheap too. I do a lot of building an insane amount really and I spend a hundred or two every four years and never run out. A piece that'd cost you two bus from most places is under fifty cents from these folks.

Of course all of this saves your cash fir the most economical thing you can do modeling wise. Buy the best gear you can afford. You never regret buying the best and if you take care of it it'll outlast cheaper gear by leaps and bounds.
Rob II
Old 07-19-2010, 01:46 AM
weathervane
Needs more LED's

I don't know if these have been brought up or not, so here it goes.

1-everyone eats fast food. Those little plastic cups are perfect for mixing epoxy. I found Wendy's has the best little plastic cups.
2-coffee stir straws. I grab a small hand full from work every now and then. They are great for running antenna wires through. I cut them into small little pieces and epoxy them into place.
3-plastic tags. (you know, little flat plastic things) They are found on bread, hamburger and hot dog packeges. I lable these and attatch them to my diferent wall chargers. Keeps me from plugging the wrong charger into the wrong transmitter and so on.

Best of all, everything is free.
-Andrew
Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 AM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Weathervane
Good stuff there. Shoulda' mentioned it earlier but save Michaels "First foods", "Second foods" containers. With lids they're great for organizing small parts and pieces, screws etc and work for mixing epoxies. Yogurt containers are good too.
Later
CC
Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Don't forget to save those promotional credit cards, and old insurance cards. They work great as a squeegee for spreading a thin layer of glue, or epoxy. Also Great for laying down decals to get those pesky bubbles out.
I have used them to fill in spots with joint compound on the foamies and wood filler on my balsa builds. They are free and clean up easy, or just toss them.