Help with Eflite Apprentice - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Help with Eflite Apprentice

Old 06-03-2010, 01:44 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

i picked up this converter at radio shack ,it powers my cellpro4 made by FMA DIRECT in my living room while typing on the laptop or watching tv. if your serious about rc flying ,you'll want to get a good charging system thats better that the cheap lil charger that comes with rtf's.

i like the cellpro4 for the ease of use ,the information it gives on each charge,and of coarse the price[$70]. i don't know what kind of connectors come on your charger,but radioshack or equal type stores sell connects like banana plugs to use.

stu
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	uproar 056.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	129375  
Old 06-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Meekomagic
Meekomagic

Hello All, If I were to install 2 1/2" wheels on the Apprentice, would I have to put one on the nose wheel also?
Does anyone have a Part Number for the 2 1/2 " wheels?.......Thanks Mike
Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 AM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Hello again Meekomagic.
Found this as Dubro "light" 2 1/2" wheels. Most suppliers would have them but this is the sight:
http://www.centralhobbies.com/landing_gear/dubrow.htm
DUB250SL 2-1/2” dia.
CC
Old 06-30-2010, 02:31 AM
thehaze
Crash Technician

Originally Posted by Meekomagic View Post
Hello All, If I were to install 2 1/2" wheels on the Apprentice, would I have to put one on the nose wheel also?

I would. I'd guess that you'll break a few props if the plane is set up like that.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:37 AM
scott-p
crash test pilot

I put 2 1/2 on the mains and 2 1/4 on the front and the only time I broke a prop was when I was too crazy around the danger zone ( ground) and had to replace prop, motor and motor mount.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Meekomagic
Meekomagic

Can I use a 3300 mah battery on the Apprentice?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 AM
scott-p
crash test pilot

I used a 4000 alot of times.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:58 AM
laxfan25

Default New Flyer

Hi! I'm new to the R/C world, but have wanted to do it since I had a Cox on a string 40+ years ago!
I met a veteran flyer (since 1949!) during work,and went out to one of the local flying fields - KRAM in Grand Rapids, MI. They had me an a buddy box (which I didn't know existed!) that first night - nervous as hell!
I got the bug, and bought an Apprentice. I was so impressed with the quality and VALUE of this product. Just the way it was packed was top-notch.
I bought a RealFlight sim on eBay and spent several days on that before heading out to the KRAM field. Buddyboxed on the first flight with the instructor handling TO and landing. The second flight I did it all myself, even tho hooked up. The next week I did it all on my own -everyone said I was a natural. (where is the swelled-head smilie?)
Went out at lunch from work to an elementary school close by, with 4 soccer fields side by side with a service road alongside. Powered up, took off, nice right turn to the long leg, start a small right turn...and suddenly the plane is spiraling in hard!! WTF!! I swear I didn't have thumb issues, but can't figure out what else would cause this. (I also know pilot error is cause #1).
Anyway, I ordered a replacement prop, cowling and engine mount, and they arrived today. I put it all together,and when I screwed the motor mount to the firewall, the mount is at an angle!!??? Is that right? I looked at the broken mount and it also is shorter on the right side than the left, so i guess that's how it's supposed to be, but it sure doesn't look right! Can anyone here enlighten me? I'm having withdrawals and want to get back in the sky!
Bert Smith
Grand Rapids, MI
Old 07-17-2010, 03:30 AM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Laxfan,
First, welcome to Wattflyer and your local "support group". Glad you have joined us all in the addictive world of RC and particularly electric flight.
As for your mishap, very sorry that it ended with a bit of a repair in order but the fact is if you're not fixing things then you're not flying enough. As for the mount looking crooked...it is for a purpose. Generally 1-2 degrees down and 1-2 degrees to the right to help offset prop "walk" or P factor as its known in the aircraft business.
Make sure you keep plenty of power on during all legs of the flight pattern. We tend to throttle back when going downwind and that is inviting a tip stall right when you have rudder or ailerons set for that direction of turn/spin/spiral/crash.
Thanks for checking in and hope to have plenty of good reports coming from MI.
Capn Chaos
Old 07-18-2010, 03:23 AM
laxfan25

Thanks for the welcome and the help, Cap'n! I had not seen the motor without the cowling on before the crash, so when assembled the repairs and saw the prop line being cock-eyed I was a little concerned.
Now I know I put it together correctly, and I'm hoping to give it its first re-flight tomorrow.
This is a great forum and I will be sure to visit often.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:55 AM
laxfan25

Well, my re-maiden flight ended dramatically! I went to the field and checked out the Apprentice set-up with a veteran member, did some rudder/elelvator/aileron alignment on the ground. Took off, but the plane had a serious desire to climb and turn to the right. I was having to have the stick at full left in order to fly level, but I couldn't get it to turn back to the field. After several attempts and saves, it finally disappeared into the corn. Damn.
Do you know how much fun it is to walk through 10 – 12 foot high corn stalks looking for a styrofoam airplane? After three trips in and an hour and a half of looking, I was giving up and coming back out for the day when I encountered it – worse for the wear. Glued it back together last night, but I'm missing the battery compartment cover.
Horizon only seems to offer it as part of the fuselage. Are there forums on here where I might be able to get that piece from another flyer?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:07 PM
scott-p
crash test pilot

pm me your address and I'll send ya one for nothing. It's not in perfect shape but it works.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:10 PM
laxfan25

I want to give a shout-out to my new friend, scott-p, who helped me out tremendously with the battery hatch cover. Thanks again Scott!

Next question - I've had two "events" with my Apprentice and am getting familiar with the properties of Gorilla Glue.

In my first crash, the tail broke off, prop, motor mount and cowling were destroyed. Glued the tail back on and replaced the other parts. On the flight after that - it behaved badly and came down in the cornfield with the tail broken off again.

I've glued it all back together, but I'm thinking I've probably changed the CG with the repairs. Does anyone have a plan for making an home-made CG stand? I was at the LHS yesterday and almost spent the $30 or one - but I'm thinking there is a less-expensive way to check. I've marked lines on the bottom of the wing, but I figure there is a better way to measure the CG beside my fingertips curled under the wing.

Any thoughts? Thanks to all, you're a great group of nitwatts!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Meekomagic
Meekomagic

I am also a new flyer, i have flown my Apprentice with an instructor 5 times with one slight crash. I bent the outer casing of the motor but was able to straighten it out with a pair of channel locks. I made my own COG Jig with a piece of 1 x 12 pine, drilled two holes in it 6 inches apart the size of a pencil. Stick two pencils in the holes eraser up and there's your COG Jig. I have enclosed some pictures to help you out........Mike

Name:	P8100041.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	133476   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8100042.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	133477   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8100043.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	133478   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8100044.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	133479  
Old 08-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Meekomagic
Meekomagic

I found two good sites for r/c parts can anyone help me to find a replacement out runner motor for the Apprentice?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_index.asp
http://www.lowpricerc.com/
Old 08-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Meekomagic
Meekomagic

Took the Apprentice out for her sixth flight and my instructor noticed the vertical stabalizer rocking back and forth in flight. We brought the plane in and the foam on the vertical stabalizer broke along the seam just where it inserts into the plastic retainer in the tail assembly. Who carries the tail feathers for the Appentice besides Hobby Zone......Mike
Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 AM
FW190A

Horizon Hobby
Old 08-13-2010, 01:54 PM
fmw

They have been out of stock for months. I recommend you try to repair it.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:59 PM
scott-p
crash test pilot

maybe this will stay cheap enough

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-Flite-Apprenti...ts_Accessories
Old 08-13-2010, 02:39 PM
laxfan25

Took the Apprentice out for her sixth flight and my instructor noticed the vertical stabalizer rocking back and forth in flight. We brought the plane in and the foam on the vertical stabalizer broke along the seam just where it inserts into the plastic retainer in the tail assembly. Who carries the tail feathers for the Appentice besides Hobby Zone......Mike
Have you tried using a bead of Gorilla Glue? I bought the clear versionand have repaired my Apprentice twice so far. Follow the instructions about wetting one side and putting the glue on the other and then tape it till it sets. The Gorilla Glue expands a little like the spray foam insulation cans, and makes a very strong bond.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Meekomagic
Meekomagic

Has anyone purchased props from www.HobbyKing.com for the Apprentice and if you did I need the part number.................Mike
Old 09-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Meekomagic
Meekomagic

Default Replacement motor for eflight apprentice

Has anyone ordered a replacement motor for the Eflight Apprentice from either of these two sites?
http://www.lowpricerc.com/index.php?...2a&filter_id=5
Old 09-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Meekomagic
Meekomagic

To anyone interested, my vertical stabilizer cracked a few times and I was able to repair it with Gorilla Glue which I purchased at Lowes. The Gorilla Glue is cheaper than the CA glue and it does a good job.
In the interum of waiting for a new vertical stabilizer, I went to Joanns Fabrics and purchased 3/16 foam board. I traced the vertical stab and made my own with hinges and punched holes for the horn and it works great.........Mike
Old 09-22-2010, 02:15 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

Has anyone ordered a replacement motor for the Eflight Apprentice from either of these two sites?
http://www.lowpricerc.com/index.php?...2a&filter_id=5

Flew for a long time with a HobbyCity C-3542D/1000. Ran with the stock ESP & Battery. Made a quick & dirty motor mount out of a piece of ceiling light fixture blanking sheet metal. Worked so well never bothered to clean it up.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r_eq:_AXi_2820

Pictures are the mount & how it looks with the cowl back on. It will also take a large spinner but left it off to move more cool air into the power package.

Name:	appmount.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	135900   Click image for larger version

Name:	appmount1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	135901  
Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

BTW saw your other posts about the tail surfaces breaking. If you don't mind a little bit of a Frankenstein look get some thin flat carbon fiber from your LHS, bond it to the weak parts & spray it white or red to match the plane.

One other thing, I sprayed sections of the belly, underside of the wings & stabilizer red to make visual orientation easier when the plane is at a distance.

Quick Reply: Help with Eflite Apprentice

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17633 seconds with 22 queries