Hello! It's good to back in RC - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Hello! It's good to back in RC

Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 PM
JZSlenker

Default Hello! It's good to back in RC

I just wanted to post a quick hello! I haven't flown a plane in 17 years. 17 years ago I had a GP Trainer 40 and a Sig Four Star 40. I had only flown the Sig once and then had to sell everything I had to help offset college. I got busy with other things and never really thought about getting back into it. 17 Years ago I wouldn't have ever thought about going electric. A week ago while laying on the hammock in my back yard I was watching my maple tree in the breeze and for some reason the thought "this is perfect wind for flying" popped into my head. That evening I spent 4 hours on the web researching what plane to buy. A trip to the local RC shop got me several questions answered. I really enjoyed building my first two planes but was concerned about doing that route this time to maximize the flying time left this summer. I was stunned that they were making RC planes out of foam! "Foam!? like that white styrofoam glider I had 20 years ago from kmart that's wings fell off when the glider hit the ground, I don't think so." Obviously many things have changed in both foam technology and battery/motor technology. I was concerned about forgetting how to fly so foam seemed a good idea for me. I considered getting a high wing trainer to start but was nudged toward a low wing. I realize this may have been a mistake but life is full of them. So now I'm the owner of a Park Zone F4 Corsair.

Yesterday was my first flight and there was no wind - perfect conditions. I opted for hand launch as the grass was way two long for runway use. Well lets just say I need to get a new cowling now. I smashed it into the ground on the first two throws. The third throw I got into the air and was all over the place. I got it about half trimmed out before executing a extremely violent landing that cracked the wing foam. I fixed it with CA and a piece of tape. I removed the now totaled cowling and taped four quarters to the front to get the CG back in place and I was back into the air. ("Try that with balsa" I thought) The next 5 flights were certainly not lessons in great flying but I was in control and had 5 successful belly landings. No acrobatics just working on getting the feel back.

My smile was huge! I've forgotten how much fun this is. I'm back! I'm hooked...again.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

Welcome back........I too was one of those who took many years off.

I question why the Hobby shop would steer you to a Corsair for a starter
plane. There are a lot of good high wing planes that can be aerobatic if you
want them to be, but it sounds like you got back in the air so good for you!!!

You'll find that we are a friendly bunch here on WF so stop in anytime and don't
be afraid to ask questions.....We're here to help!!

C-ya round the forums........jim
Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 PM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

JZSlenker,
Welcome back...we've been wondering watt happened to you....
There are many of us here that have the same basic story though a few different aspects here and there. Overiding theme: sometimes life just gets in the way of living. Regardless you are back and I think you'll find that electric flight is, overall, much simpler in many ways once you get a basic understanding of the concept. As Heli Jim said, alot of helpful and knowledgeable folks here. Also agree there might have been easier planes to help with your re entry but thats behind you now. The Corsair has been touted as a great "second plane" for begginers by many around here.
Like you, sometimes I just don't have the time left over for building so the Foam ARFs or ARF's in general are tempting.
Ask questions and keep hangin around here.
Now go fly somethin'
Capn Chaos
Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 PM
motoguy

I'm in a similar situation, except that my old fleet of glow-planes / equipment is still out in storage in the shop. I too thought that electric / foam may be the best way to re-enter, mainly due to the ease of flying. My glow planes require lugging a bunch of "support equipment" to the car, driving 30 minutes to the flying site (which requires an annual club membership), etc etc etc. That's kind of a pain, and part of what has kept me from returning in the past.

Flying an electric foamie requires that I put the plane and transmitter in the back of the car, drive the 1/2 mile to my local park, and fly. The wife / kiddo can ride bikes / swing / walk / whatever while I fly, and it's great for everyone. I cannot stress the convenience of park flying. It's fun, too!

Like you, I was trying to decide which foamie to get. Having found some of the RC forums, I was pretty set on the ParkZone T28. It seems to get rave reviews, and I already have aileron experience. While visiting the local field (where I was able to go up "buddy box" and clear some of the cobwebs!) I saw a flyer with both the T28, as well as the HobbyZone SuperCub. I was pretty impressed with the SuperCub, as it looked slow, relaxing, and fun! I decided to pick it up for my re-entry, as 1) floats would be fun on it, and 2) when I was done, I thought it would be the perfect trainer for our 7 year old (who is expressing an interest in flying).

I've got the T28 as well, but I've not flow it yet (bought used with no battery / charger). I've been flying the heck out of the SuperCub, though, and really enjoying it. It went on vacation with me, I've flown it off the lake (floats), etc. Though big glow planes will certainly have their place, I think I'll have to credit the electric foamies with tugging me back into the hobby.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:25 PM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Motoguy,
Thanks for checking in...and a belated welcome to Wattflyer. I too had some glow stuff laying around for 10 or 12 years (second foray into RC with those) and after spending some time "lurking" on WF decided to convert them to electric. Added a DX6i radio to the bag and spent quite a few months in sensory overload trying to figure electric systems, computer radio (first) and generally getting back into flying. Have to thank all of these guys here for the encouragement and help along the way.
Hanger has grown and, like you, I tend to take two or three planes with me on vacation.
CC
Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 PM
MustangMan
Community Moderator

Welcome back JZ! The gap between my glow and electric eras was 35 years! Lots of friendly and helpful folks here on WF. You're going to love this place!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome back and welcome to WF!!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Heli Jim
Grandpa, Golfer, Pilot

My gap was almost 30 years. The biggest difference now is that almost
nobody builds anything anymore. All the RTF and ARF planes and helis
are just amazing. For the cost, I couldn't come close most of the time and
the quality is really pretty good.

Really liking electric.......no big field box and no mess to clean up when I'm done.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:49 AM
JZSlenker

Thanks for the welcome. Heli Jim, I plan to build another plane from the ground up at some point. I really enjoyed that plus it really makes the plane all the more my own. I just wanted to get back in the air before the summer is over here in PA. Ironically I talked to my dad tonight and he has been thinking about learning to fly again. He has a "Piece of Cake" hanging up in his basement that he built and never learned to fly.