Wattflyer Virus? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Support & Suggestions If you need tech support post your question here or site suggestions too.

Wattflyer Virus?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:18 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Default Wattflyer Virus?

Every time I log into Wattflyer from several different computers it has taken upto a minute to load while my browsers show that it is connecting to google-analytics. This doesn't happen on any other sites, just wattflyer and has been happening for the last couple days. Is Wattflyer doing diagnostics or infected with spyware? Maybe I just have the touch of death to computers.
Anyone else notice this.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:20 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

No problem here loads up fine except for the fact internet traffic is real heavy and slow things down a bit.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:22 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I'm not having any issues. Don should be able to answer better than us though.

Just tried it with IE and Google Chrome both, no problems.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

No problem here friend.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Maybe comcast can't find google-analytics.com in its DNS serverz. I just tried the URL all by itself and it redirects to google.com after almost a minute. It is possible that my home computers have virus, but it happens on 4 computers at work also. Maybe a screwed up top tier router in our area?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:33 PM
capn chaos
Super Contributor

Haven't had a problem but I do miss the green "recent posts" that for some reason just disappeared off of my header bar. Has'nt been there for a week or more.
CC
Old 12-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by capn chaos View Post
Haven't had a problem but I do miss the green "recent posts" that for some reason just disappeared off of my header bar. Has'nt been there for a week or more.
CC
I agree! I wish they'd bring that back.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:56 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Me 3 I miss that to.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:00 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

According to one source it is a server side virus:
"It is not clear how the code is being inserted onto peoples server. It is either via a IIS/Apache server hole or a vulnerability in the FTP client. So... are people running IIS or Apache and what version? and what FTP client are people using, and again what version?"
I also discovered that google-analytics.com is not owned by Google but is itself a virus spreading site. I wonder why Google's lawyers aren't all over them like white on rice.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:38 PM
spitfire
Not the best

me 4, I miss the greeness of the new posts button...

but you gotta admit, it fits more with the theme being white...

SPIT.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:43 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I liked the button green but then again I still miss my long green thingy .

I remember when long green thingy's (or would it be thingies??) use to fall from the sky.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:21 PM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Found half the problem is that it is a virus from infected Google servers. Spreads to clients via google search browser add-on. Why can't hackers use their forces for good? Like hack Al Quida and Talaban sites?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Glad it's not us db, I passed the thread on to Marc and Nathan to take a look at the green button thingie.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:13 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dbcisco View Post
According to one source it is a server side virus:
"It is not clear how the code is being inserted onto peoples server. It is either via a IIS/Apache server hole or a vulnerability in the FTP client. So... are people running IIS or Apache and what version? and what FTP client are people using, and again what version?"
I also discovered that google-analytics.com is not owned by Google but is itself a virus spreading site. I wonder why Google's lawyers aren't all over them like white on rice.
LOL no! Google Analytics is a service employed by owners of websites that allows you as the webmaster to track traffic such as referrers (who is linking to Wattflyer) and how many hits each point of entry is generating, etc. It is an opt-in mechanism for free/paid website traffic analysis, and a useful tool for targeting Google Adsense (those paid Google ads you see in the sidebars of websites) to generate the most revenue.

Not a virus. in fact it is triggered only if the designer adds a call so a specific chunk of Javascript (look up ga.js) to the web page you are viewing - this then calls google-analytics.com and passes the info to the GA servers. Lots and lots and lots of websites use this free service, so I can imagine every now and again the servers get bogged down. This is probably the root of your latency, or as you suggested before a temporary problem resolving the site.

Not a virus.

Beware the FUD man, check your sources

Josh

PS - if any of the site designers are interested this is a great article on how to reduce the latency of ga.js with some simple steps.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:16 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Glad it's not us db, I passed the thread on to Marc and Nathan to take a look at the green button thingie.
I didn't think it was wattflyer, I seemed to be the only one with the problem here. Sadly it infects MS iexplorer so a complete fresh install of XP is needed. It is fairly new and not a single anti-virus is catching it; let alone able to fix it. Hope the title wasn't misleading, not trying to panic anyone. It redirects browsers to google-analytics (a virus spreading site) if the page doesn't load immediately, uses browsers' built in redirects for unreachable pages and changes timeout for redirect from seconds to milliseconds. Nasty but very clever.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:27 AM
spitfire
Not the best

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
I liked the button green but then again I still miss my long green thingy .

I remember when long green thingy's (or would it be thingies??) use to fall from the sky.

I vaguely remember them...

I joined about the time they where going out, I didn't even know how to use them...

SPIT.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
LOL no! Google Analytics is a service employed by owners of websites that allows you as the webmaster to track traffic such as referrers (who is linking to Wattflyer) and how many hits each point of entry is generating, etc...
So you are saying that Wattflyer is using google.com/analytics and that is the problem. No virus, just a bad google service for website providers?

Why did I find a mess of pages citing google-analytics.com as a virus site. Note that google.com/analytics which I could access is not the same URL as google-analytics.com which gives me a 404 error.

I did research this as best I could (three days worth). I am not a FUD monger but this is very suspicious. I am glad to know it is not on my end, rather more website side junk making me think I have a virus.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:38 AM
spitfire
Not the best

So you are saying that Wattflyer is using google.com/analytics and that is the problem. No virus, just a bad google service for website providers?

Why did I find a mess of pages citing google-analytics.com as a virus site. Note that google.com/analytics which I could access is not the same URL as google-analytics.com which gives me a 404 error.

I did research this as best I could (three days worth). I am not a FUD monger but this is very suspicious. I am glad to know it is not on my end, rather more website side junk making me think I have a virus.

I am pretty sure google-analystics.com is a virus, they used a similar url to trick people...

either that or, google owns a second url?

SPIT.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by capn chaos View Post
CC
Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
I agree! I wish they'd bring that back.
Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Me 3 I miss that to.

The link still does the same thing, it is just not green anymore. It used to show the number of threads and the total posts, not it just shows the total posts.

Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
I am pretty sure google-analystics.com is a virus, they used a similar url to trick people...

either that or, google owns a second url?

SPIT.
Evidently the correct site is google.com/analytics/ and someone is using the other one to trick folks, as Spit pointed out.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

But I like it when it showed the number of threads posted, lol.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:29 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

All three URI's

http://google.com/analytics
http://analytics.google.com
http://google-analytics.com

are aliases for http://www.google.com/analytics.

This is a common practice especially among super-large companies that can afford to buy every possible domain name permutation for a product.

What you might be seeing is a website that may at first glance appear to be http://google-analytics.com/ could very well be sites that rely on typos or almost-right names to spread malware. For instance

http://google-analystics.com/ or http://google-analtyics.com/

These kind of websites rely on targets of opportunity - and the irony here is that when websites like this are uncovered by Google's search robots and are proven to be malicious, you are specifically warned by Google before you attempt to surf there (at least from a listed Google search result).

But I can assure you I have worked extensively with Google Analytics since its inception and merger with the erstwhile stats company Urchin. Just to prove a point I will link this blog post from my old blog from Nov. of 2005 about the announcement of Google Analytics.

Josh
Old 12-20-2009, 01:38 AM
admin
Administrator

there are no virus or anything. google-analytics code is same code I've been using on WF for several years now. no changes. I just rechecked all source pages and it is identical still. no hacks or exploits injected into any of our pages. it is google's statistics package so we can see how many visitors and page views are on wattflyer.

regarding the green post/thread thing at top. need more info. I added a feature so it would show total posts since last visit. didn't realize I may have broken something but not sure what it looked like before
Old 12-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

It said "so many" posts in "so many" threads.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:51 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

What ever it is it is on WF and RCU and is keeping my Firefox 3.5.6 and IE from loading WF and RCU in under a 30 seconds. I disable java scripts and WF and RCU load right up. You can call it an enhancement but from my perspective it is malware. Not slamming WF or RCU in anyway, just want to let you know what is going on. I wonder how many new users are just giving up on WF and RCU because of this. The versions of FF and IE I have on all my computers are the newest updates available so people who haven't updated might not have this problem but as soon as they do they might encounter the same problem I have. It won't effect me now that I have a work around but you might want someone to look into this. Thanks for a great forum.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:13 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

I added noscript and at least Firefox works again. Google probably changed stuff at their end screwing everything up and driving users nuts. Not the first time nor the last time that has happened. They won't disclose it happens until they fix it, they will probably deny it until then. Then they will call it an enhancement. A little trick everyone learned from MS.

Quick Reply: Wattflyer Virus?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10541 seconds with 14 queries