Would an airport shoot down an RC plane - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Would an airport shoot down an RC plane

Old 04-21-2009, 03:33 AM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Default Would an airport shoot down an RC plane

so there I was working on my 3rd flight of the day when suddenly "KABLAM" total loss of control of plane.WAs fun to watch the ensuing crash though.
I suppose the crash could be because of using cheap 72 mhz Fm equipment but its funny because I have never even had a glitch before this time.

Whats got me wondering though is there is a small plane airport about 2 or 3 miles away.
Hmmm......I wonder.Do you think they would shoot me down if I was too close.
Whats the law for flying by an small airport
I was flying at a park so I figured I was ok.Always figured if there was a problem flying there the sheriff would tell me

Anywhoooo....any thoughts.Am I just being paranoid
Old 04-21-2009, 04:00 AM
1320fastback

Does a small airport have the capability to shoot your plane down would be a better question. Not implying that it doesn't suck to loose a plane but I cant imagine they have a button next to the radar for such a thing.

I vote for neighborhood kid with a toys-r-us car.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

I would really doubt that there is any specific capability designed into airport systems to shoot down RC aircraft (the electronic type of shooting).

Imagine the liability if your plane kills someone.

Systems failure is most likely.

Last edited by Nitro Blast; 04-21-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:49 AM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

No, we wouldn't
Old 04-21-2009, 05:52 AM
aramid

No, small airports are not armed, and they don't shoot at airplanes. If the airport is small enough that it doesn't have a control tower, they don't even have special airspace. As long as you were more than maybe 1000 feet from the airport and below about 800 feet, you wouldn't have been in anyone's way, and it's unlikely they would have even noticed you. If, as you say, you were 2-3 miles away, then nothing short of trying to fly formation with someone would have gotten you noticed.

Anyway, shooting into the air is typically considered irresponsible, because the bullets come back down fast enough to kill someone. It would also be quite difficult to shoot down an RC unless you scored a direct hit to the radio or battery - punching holes in covering film or foam would make it fly badly, but you'd need a lot of holes to cause an instant crash.

I agree with Fastback and Nitro - either some kid with a Radio Shack car, or a random systems failure.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:47 AM
1320fastback

Shooting down an RC plane is kind of slag for bringing it down by radio interference. Nothing to do with bullets.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:06 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
so there I was working on my 3rd flight of the day when suddenly "KABLAM" total loss of control of plane.WAs fun to watch the ensuing crash though.
I suppose the crash could be because of using cheap 72 mhz Fm equipment but its funny because I have never even had a glitch before this time.

Whats got me wondering though is there is a small plane airport about 2 or 3 miles away.
Hmmm......I wonder.Do you think they would shoot me down if I was too close.
Whats the law for flying by an small airport
I was flying at a park so I figured I was ok.Always figured if there was a problem flying there the sheriff would tell me

Anywhoooo....any thoughts.Am I just being paranoid
My Best Guess is that your BEC in your ESC got hot and failed to deliver enough voltage if any to keep you flying, what set up were you running, motor, esc type and bec amps, lipo size and servo type and how many servos, and receiver type, that info should be able to give a good insite as to what happen, Take care, Chellie
Old 04-21-2009, 10:24 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

There are no "laws" per say unless you have some local ordinances prohibitiing it.

Rule 5 of the AMA safety code states

5. I will not fly my model aircraft higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level, when within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator. I will yield the right-of-way and avoid flying in the proximity of full-scale aircraft, utilizing a spotter when appropriate.

Sounds more like equipment failure to me as well. Sorry for your loss.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:26 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Sorry your plane crashed.

To intentionally shoot a plane down the person would first have to be aware of you. At two to three miles away, I doubt he could see the plane.

Next he would have to be on the same frequency or at minimum the same band and have a really powerful transmitter. Not likely.

If it was an intentional "shoot down", what if the uncontrolled plane hit a moving car and caused a crash and personal injury?
I don't think anyone that was rational and had a brain would be so stupid as to do that.

More likely if you were bothering the planes, a phone call to the local police would get a car dispatched to have you stop.

You might have had an on board failure or someone with the Radio Shack toy was on your frequency, and close by.

Again sorry, but that is another good reason to get better equipment.

Paul
Old 04-21-2009, 02:58 PM
aramid

Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Shooting down an RC plane is kind of slag for bringing it down by radio interference. Nothing to do with bullets.
That's what I get for posting when I should be sleeping.

Everything else I said is still valid - you're not in their airspace, and it's not something they'd have the capability to do intentionally. It would also be very difficult for them to do accidentally, because most aircraft communications take place between 118 and 135 MHz FM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Good thread.

I work at a General Aviation airport as a flight instructor. We have an operating control tower and everything. Anyways My fellow full scale pilots and I fly our slow sticks on the empty ramp all the time with no problems. The people in the control tower sometimes come down to watch us. It's great fun.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Well it looks like I picked the wrong day to quit taking my zanex
Good info by everyone
RT signing out & switching over to 2.4G soon
Old 04-21-2009, 06:48 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

When I was in my early teens (over 30 years ago) the model flying club used to get to fly at the local airport each Wednesday evening in the summer months. The airport was the main regional airport that had regular passenger jet flights in and out!
We used to fly from an unused apron/taxi-way well away from the main runway, it was fantastic!. The fun lasted until some pilot of a light aircraft reported a near miss (donít think it was very 'near' in reality). We never had any trouble from interference from the airport systems.

Cant imagine anything like it happening in this day and age.

Steve
Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Sigh - I've tried over and over to convince AirOps and the FAA that I could be making good use of the leftover runway space (or at least the unoccupied areas of the West Remote Terminals to fly my aircraft)

I'd even be more productive as I wouldn't have to take days off to go flying. But do the listen to me?? [email protected]!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:00 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

From the end of our club runway to the end of the closest runway at the Newport News Airport, Patrick Henry International, (PHF) is exactly 2 miles.

If they were shooting down planes we'd never fly!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2 miles.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	99356  
Old 04-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Sweet pic Bill.

Yeah if the local airport shot down our planes all they would ned would be a shot gun.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
From the end of our club runway to the end of the closest runway at the Newport News Airport, Patrick Henry International, (PHF) is exactly 2 miles.

If they were shooting down planes we'd never fly!
Cute little airport - looking at the website looks like mostly RJ's and some GA stuff.

I almost wish we had more GA here. Mixed wish - I like watching the smaller stuff - but they don't mix well with the airliners.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Yeah, a bunch of puddle hoppers and such.

Nothing too big except for when Air Force One does touch and goes, well it's really not Air Force One when they are just doing touch and goes but you know what I mean.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Yes sir I do!

Next time El Presidente shows up I'll try to remember the camera - he parks just across the fence from my office. Mised his first trip to LAX, was in the Carribean. Had he called me, I would have told him to come a different week
Old 04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Yes sir I do!

Next time El Presidente shows up I'll try to remember the camera - he parks just across the fence from my office. Mised his first trip to LAX, was in the Carribean. Had he called me, I would have told him to come a different week
I'm sure he woulda complied, Jeff.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

I'm changing the caller ID on my cellphone to "Jack Bauer" - the President ALWAYS took HIS calls
Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

here is the park where I was flying at & the proximity to the airport.You can see we are directly under the flightpath.It is where the sheriffs fly out of.Ive seen them fly by when Ive been flying.Never had anyone say anything...
the marker shows where the parks at
  1. Preview
    View Larger Map
Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

uh-oh I think I scared everyone away
hey I was only kidding about the zanex ya-know,lol
Old 04-21-2009, 09:58 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
I'm changing the caller ID on my cellphone to "Jack Bauer" - the President ALWAYS took HIS calls
Well, yeah, but what happened to that president?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:55 PM
aramid

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
here is the park where I was flying at & the proximity to the airport.You can see we are directly under the flightpath.It is where the sheriffs fly out of.Ive seen them fly by when Ive been flying.Never had anyone say anything...
You're nowhere near the flight path for that airport. There's no control tower, the airspace isn't restricted in any special way, and almost all communications in the area will be on 122.8 MHz FM. Aside from that, you're not even on a flight path. It's a general aviation airport, so the only traffic directly associated with the airport is in roughly a half-mile circle around the field at 800 feet above ground. Someone flying over your park is no different from someone flying over a field in the middle of nowhere, and their altitude should reflect that.

I'd say you're safe.

Quick Reply: Would an airport shoot down an RC plane

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10631 seconds with 16 queries