any snow flying dangers? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

any snow flying dangers?

Old 02-12-2009, 12:29 AM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

Default any snow flying dangers?

are there any real dangers of flying my heli when there is snow on the ground? It isn't snowing outside and is dead calm wind.
only thing I can think of is my hands getting cold and losing responsiveness.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Twmaster

Water can kill a brushless ESC BZZZZT! like that. We used to play hell keeping our controllers dry when I as racing electric boats.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 AM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

thanks! that's good to know, though it is saddening as will be several days until snow melts...
Old 02-12-2009, 02:30 AM
birdDog
Charging....

If you have yours set up for negative pitch at low throttle it may try to push it's way into the snow. Not too good if your ESC is mounted low.
Just a couple degrees will still put quite a bit of downward pressure on the skids.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:04 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Depends on the depth of the snow vs the size of the heli. Not sure how much snow Ft Fun has, but down here it's only about an inch - no worries for my rex 450, and my 600 scoffs at the snow. I usually try flying off a clear patch anyway - just the standard water and electronics thing. pull the battery of there is a water issues, dry completely, then all is well.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:18 PM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

ok thanks! It's a blade 400, but here there is like 3 inches... been snowing on and off for 3 days, which isn't cool, since I'm sure there's got to be danger to the electronics when it is snowing.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 PM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

Hey Captain Crash, I think you should be ok. I think that colder would be better. If you have snow on the electronics after you fly, unplug the power and dry everything off. Gentle air pressure is good for removing excess water/snow and then dry thoroughly. You aren't flying in water so I don't see much water getting on the electronics. Flying in the snow sounds kinda fun. I'd like to try it but when it snows here it is usuallly pretty wet stuff. And I'm hoping that we won't be getting any more snow this year anyway.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:10 PM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

hmm, only problem for me has been I've attempted it and I don't do as well with gloves on (even really thin ones)... I just lose the sensitivity/feel I get normally. Lol I ended up crashing with that... IDK how but blades are fine... all that is broken is one blade grip! even feathering shaft is fine!
Old 02-15-2009, 10:16 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

If you don't like loosing feel, take a pair of those cheap cotton gloves and cut a small hole in the thumb, where your stick normally goes. There you go warm hands, and no lost tx feel.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:18 PM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

good idea! thank you! i'll definitely try that sometime in the near future
Old 02-20-2009, 04:48 PM
singingperry

Watch for low altitude heli induced snow blizzards!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:47 PM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

haha!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:11 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Made a set of snowshoes for the LMH rotorooter. The snow is like landing on a big mattress. Did a loop to low with the LMH and it disappeared in the snow. All that was sticking out was the rotor blades. Blew everything off and away I went again. The times I did get things wet, blew it out and everything worked fine the next day.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Jazzman
New Copter Crasher

Hey all,

Just as an aside to the talks of water vs. rx or esc...

I flew my Walker 4#3 in my apt. the other day. Took a nose dive into a cup of 7-up. At first, the motors didn't know when to turn off, but after blowing out the liquid and letting it dry, no probs.

I was lucky!

(and, the cup didn't even tip over!)

Jazzman
Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 PM
racie34

cold enough for snow...then it's probably down there where alot of plastic parts break easily....I went flying some park fliers one day at around 20 degrees and we musta broke everything plastic on those things in an hour...stuff gets brittle
Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Cold. Yeah, I learned about brittle plastic on a Trex tail pitch control lever. Pretty important part.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 AM
David M

In cold conditions, you really want to keep your spare lipos in your (empty..!) pocket to keep them in a warm environment prior to use and watch ice build up on the blades if there's any dampness in the air.

I heard of someone needing more and more power to take off and eventually couldn't until he spooled down and noticed the blades had changed shape with the ice build up..!!

It makes sense to clear a take off/landing area to keep everything as dry as possible and avoid an icy pad so the heli sticks to where it's put.

Also watch those Tx batteries in cold conditions, they self discharge a bit quicker.

I sound like a real grump here, but there's some great Winter heli flying to be had with a little care...good luck....

Cheers..
Old 03-11-2009, 03:55 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Now that the snow has melted here, I just noticed this thread. There's only one other B400 flyer at my club that I'm aware of, and I saw him at the field last week with his heli. I was taking off and landing from a nice little 10'x10' patch that was shoveled clear, and then he picks his heli out of the car, sets it up and plops it down on the snow covered flightline. He had a set of GWS foam floats mounted to the skids. Never seen that one before! Seemed to fly just fine for normal "sport" flying, though I don't think you'd want to try hard 3-D that way!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:57 PM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

that's a cool idea! never seen or thought of that before, but that would work pretty good!