CLIK! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

CLIK!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Reckless_Meanie
Reckless_Meanie

Default CLIK!

Is there an outdoor kit in the 16oz range for sell somewhere? I googled it but have only found a few small kits. Are Cliks considered a pattern plane or a 3D plane or something else?

I found these as well. They are similar but not a Clik.

http://www.chargerrc.com/shopexd.asp?id=15

http://www.shop.depronwest.com/produ...8&productId=25

I've been watching videos of people with Cliks. They look like a great plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDka...eature=related

Is this plane a scratch built?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:01 AM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

Here's the Clik 52" Wingspan thread. All the Cliks you see are outdoor adaptions of the 3mm F3P kit. I've made anywhere from 27"(3mm) to 52" WS (1/2" blucor). In the video you have posted, that's the 6mm 34" version. It weighs in @ 10-11oz. A 16oz version would be about 40" WS. I bought the indoor kit and upscaled the parts on my printer for my templates. We've made quite a few changes along the way for better outdoor performance. If you PM me with your e-mail address I can send you the drawings I've collected along the way. David Kyjovsky(the designer) has let me pass out these drawings with a couple of stipulations. It's a really fun plane to fly and a lot of folks are catching on to it's 3D/pattern versatility. And yes, these are all scratch built, including the full fuse/wing Clik-3D/P.
Regards,
Jason
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21158
Originally Posted by Reckless_Meanie View Post
Is there an outdoor kit in the 16oz range for sell somewhere? I googled it but have only found a few small kits. Are Cliks considered a pattern plane or a 3D plane or something else?

I found these as well. They are similar but not a Clik.

http://www.chargerrc.com/shopexd.asp?id=15

http://www.shop.depronwest.com/produ...8&productId=25

I've been watching videos of people with Cliks. They look like a great plane.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDka313Bwg&feature=related[/media]

Is this plane a scratch built?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Reckless_Meanie
Reckless_Meanie

Jason,
I sent a pm. I'm not sure if I'm up to building one from scratch. I'm pretty good a messing things up. I don't know if I could upscale plans and that kind of stuff. I also have no idea where to buy 6mm depron. Everywhere I've checked wants me to buy a life times supply of the stuff. Do you think those two planes, the AXILON and the Gen-x would be comparable? I think it would be fun to build one from scratch but I'm not sure if I have the resources or where to start.

Thanks for your time

Travis
Old 01-19-2009, 12:29 AM
EDFrules

It's really not that hard to do. Just use carboard/posterboard templates before cutting any foam. You can get foam @ www.rcfoam.com there's a few places to get carbon tube as well. I'm also utilizing 5/8" EPS foam core/depron sheeted fuse for another 3D foamie. Simple, robust construction.

As far as the Axilon and Gen-X foamies(don't throw me down that well), I haven't flown either or seen any of those fly in person, so I couldn't tell you what's the best but the Axilon looks pretty close to the Clik(gee, wonder why?) so that would be my first choice for a kit. Then when you get the kit-copy the parts first before gluing and then you'll have duplicates you can make or upscale the parts by just putting a grid over the part and then upscaling to the correct size and tiling/taping the larger prints together. It's only paper and tape to start so who care's if you make a mistake. Just redo it till you get it right. That's the fun of scratchbuilding, sometimes you make mistakes, that's OK as long as we learn from them! But when you're done you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you've got something no one else has and yer's flies better cuz' you made it!
Regards,
Jason
Old 01-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Reckless_Meanie
Reckless_Meanie

I think I may order that Axilon and copy all the parts like you said. If and when I do I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Travis
Old 01-19-2009, 12:44 AM
EDFrules

Sent you drawings. Let us know how the Axilon is. Look forward to your flight report.

Regards,
Jason
Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 AM
Reckless_Meanie
Reckless_Meanie

I just ordered it (Axilon). It should be here by the end of the week. I'll do a build thread if people would like that. Now I need to figure out what motor and stuff to use.

Travis
Old 01-27-2009, 06:59 AM
EDFrules

Might suggest either the MicroDan 2510-3D or the Scorpion 2215-18(for ballistic uplines) with a GWS 11 x 7 DD or for calm day 3D 11 x 4.7SF(APC) or GWS. The MD is more efficient @ 19 amps(37oz thrust) and weighs less(also a lifetime warranty no matter what you do to it=you ship it to Dan and he'll fix it for free!) and the Scorpion is good for about 40oz of [email protected] 21-23 amps I think. I love the MD 2510 but for a little less coin the 2215-18T will be another great choice.
www.GoBrushless.com
Old 01-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Reckless_Meanie
Reckless_Meanie

I bought that scorpion 2212-26. I did buy it from Go Brushless. The plane is almost together. The 2212-26 doesn't have the power of the other two motors but it feels like its got plenty of pull for that plane. I'm trying to keep it light. I need to wait for the snow to melt before I fly it. I don't want a motor full of snow when I land. It seems like it might be a while before it gets flown.

Travis
Old 01-28-2009, 06:15 AM
EDFrules

Sounds like a plan. I usually opt for a slightly higher wattage power system because I like to hover @ about 1/2 throttle. I usually never go to WOT when I get a satifactory power system and that ensures less stress on the motor/packs/ESC when flying 3D. One thing I've learned that the slower you make the plane go, less cooling is being directed over components to shed the heat load. I live in Fl. and most of the year we have pretty high ambient and near 100% humidity. That means even less heat is being shed, so a cool running system is a must. But for those in cooler climes this may not be as critical. If there's one thing I won't tolerate it's an underpowered 3D plane! Also I like Scorpions because they use high temp windings and magnets-nearly impossible to de-mag where as other motors have withered on the vine. I have a plaque dedicated to my Burnt Offerings to the RC Gods with a few burned out motors on it that didn't quite cut the mustard. Live and learn! Also the MD's are really efficient for an outrunner and they seem to never get warm. Hope we see some pics when you're done and hope you get a break in the weather soon.

Regards,
Jason
Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Reckless_Meanie
Reckless_Meanie

I was looking at the MicroDan motors. Can they be mounted behind the firewall? I think I will try one for my next plane they do look nice. I was looking for something that would fit on a Park Zone Stryker. I've been wanting to build for a wile. I didn't look to hard on at the motor specs on the MicroDans but I didn't see anyting that looked like it would work. I guess that's another thread though. I'll post some pictures in a few days when it's finished.

Thanks,
Travis
Old 01-28-2009, 05:57 PM
EDFrules

MD's only mount from the rear. One of the reasons they're so lite. They don't have all that extra metal to tap into for a behind firewall mount. The 2505 "Speed" motor looks downright scary! 600watts but Dan warns it's not for beginners and it will fry all but the more durable speed controllers on a 4.1 x 4.1 prop/3s Otherwise a high KV Scorpion would do the trick. Lot's of people are running ARC inrunners on their Strykers too.:
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ef=MD2505-4800
Old 02-17-2009, 01:47 AM
racie34

my clik is almost done...34"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3409.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	94041   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3411.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	94042  
Old 02-17-2009, 02:05 AM
EDFrules

The "Dark Knight Clik"-I like it. Need a silver canopy now Let us know how it flies! Looks like you canted the SFG's inward. Going for the extra slow flight-eh? Maybe some white or yellow stripes on the bottom wing for side recognition? Post it on the Clik 52" Wingspan thread, show everyone your handywork.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21158
Regards,
Jason
Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 AM
racie34

it's not actually my handiwork..a friend out west cut up the kit for me...I just assembled it, but Ive seen theirs fly and they're incredible indoors at slow flight
Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 AM
EDFrules

Nice regardless of who cut it out or assembled it. Looks like 3mm. Next one you might want to try a 6mm heavier version(10oz) with 1" added to nose moment and 2" to the tail moment. Makes for better tracking in the wind and the added weight is not a hinderance-still a floater. Cliks are fun no matter how they're made. Even my heavyweight 42oz 52" WS version was great in no wind or 20mph. Have fun with it, that's what they're for!

Regards,
Jason
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogVjDfr9LwM[/media]

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hmentid=2328863
Old 02-17-2009, 12:01 PM
racie34

just waiting on 2 servo's for it now and I have to run out and buy a few small batteries
Old 02-17-2009, 06:29 PM
EDFrules

Our 34" WS versions use Fusion-Pack 11.1v 600mah 25c packs. Super powerful and the price is right. After trying out 25c packs I won't drop to a lower "C" rating anymore. Lots of punch on the first part of pack and solid thru the flight. And they never get barely above ambient. I've also got some Rhino 25c packs on the way to try out on my new foamie. Good luck with your maiden.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:22 PM
racie34

has everyone seen the drag brakes on the "Vega"..i'll bet they work better than these little things I have with this one
Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 PM
EDFrules

There's tons of different kinds of drag brakes on F3P models. The new Clik 2.0 has some fragile looking ones now. I find they are not necassary on our heavier outdoor models. Found that vortex generators are a little better at 3D and pattern outside with the wind than drag brakes. My .02