E-Flight Cub or FlyZone Cub - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

E-Flight Cub or FlyZone Cub

Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 AM
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Default E-Flight Cub or FlyZone Cub

After I realized my Great Planes Corsair was too advanced for me, I have decided to buy a trainer. I am stuck between the RTF Flyzone Cub, or the E-Flight Cub wich seems nicer but more time and money to fly. A trainer is a trainer is a trainer, or no? What do the experts recomend.

Cheech

Eflite cub, not eflight.

Last edited by CHEECH; 05-28-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:54 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

The Hobbyzone Supercub.

You will find it the hands down, most recommended trainer out there.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7100

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10027

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12218&

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34390

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30795
Old 05-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Balil
foam murderer :D

i have a supercub. which was recently dubbed the hyper cub after a brushless upgrade. its a great flyer in its stock form, super stable, it comes with flight stabilisation, with the ACT turned on you CANNOT overcontrol the plane... which means you cant do simple aerobatics like loops or inverted flight. with it off you can do these things. parts are cheap and readily available, and is easily upgraded to an aileron trainer with the addition of an extra servo and a 4 channel tx/rx combo which can be bought for less than $100 and sometimes come with servos. all in all its a great plane and i would recomend it to anyone who wants to learn to fly fixed wing aircraft.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:14 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Your going to hear suggestions for the Super Cub, was my first electric powered trainer, and is, well fantastic, praise hardly matches its performance even stock, 15 minute flights norm and is a very predictable flyer, other than the Multiplex Easy Star, Super Cub is a fine choice, mine made plus 200 flights of nothing but abuse, is well Super...

Super Cub, Night Flights
Stryker B
Parkzone Warbirds, Spitz
Stryker C
Multiplex Easy Star, Sunday Flyer, thermals, 1/2 hour flights with any lift at all..<>.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Leo L

Cheech,

To answer your question: NO - a trainer is not a trainer is not a trainer. In other words, all trainers are NOT created equal!

The E-flite Cub is a balsa/plywood construction plane. It is NOT suitable for a beginner, unless you love to build and only want to fly very little in between massive build and repair times. The FlyZone Cub is a nice plane for INTERMEDIATE flyers; for those who are already familiar with aileron control. The electronics are not great and the plane is underpowered, so you need to do some changes and mods to get a decent flyer out of it.

If you are looking for a beinner's trainer, there is no better choice than the HobbyZone SuperCub (but don't use the ACT). Another excellent beginner palne is the Multiplex EasyStar. Other good beginner planes, but not as good as these two, are the Aerobird3, T-hawk, SloStick and Slow-V.

If you already know how to fly and are looking for an aileron trainer, the two best are the ParkZone T-28 Trojan and the Multiplex MiniMagistar (Minimag). Other good aileron trainers, but not as good as these two, are the GWS E-Starter and the HobbyLobby Wind Dragon.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Hostile
flying Cajun

I bought two of these, I think it the perfect trainer IMO. RTF, has good power, cheap, flies gracefully. The bad parts, are only three channel tx, the tail skid wheel is useless. Just through it, and land in the grass. Good knock around plane. Anyone can fly it, and it's pretty tough!

http://www.nitroplanes.com/j3pipercub.html

edit: only $70 bucks! RTF

Last edited by Hostile; 05-20-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Price
Old 05-20-2008, 03:54 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I have heard of mixed reviews of that plane.

Some people like it, some hate it.

On the other hand, EVERYONE that I have spoken to, or read reports from that has tried the HZ Super Cub reports it as being a great plane.

The Super Cub has larger wheels for better ground control. It has a thicker wing, that won't fold, or damage easily. It's an all around sturdier plane than many like it on the market.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Hostile
flying Cajun

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
I have heard of mixed reviews of that plane.

Some people like it, some hate it.

On the other hand, EVERYONE that I have spoken to, or read reports from that has tried the HZ Super Cub reports it as being a great plane.
Yes, there was an issue about the controller, and motor on the old ones , but I can say that the new ones have addressed those issues. It has an outrunner motor now, and a new stile Transmitter with a single stick, instead of the two the old ones had.
I like it. Really a pretty good plane now. IMHO.

Edit: for $83 bucks shipping and handling you can't go wrong! Could buy two for the price of just one of the other planes.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 AM
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Someone please show me how to insert images. I want to be cool.

Cheech

Last edited by CHEECH; 05-28-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

To attach files from your computer...

1) look down at the box for posting messages.

2) below that is two buttons, post quick reply, and, go advanced.

3) click "go advanced"

4) above the message box there are several option keys, choose the one that looks like a paper clip.

5) a new window will pop up.

6) in it will be several "choose file" buttons.

7) clicking on one of these will open a file window to your computer.

8) navigate through this until you reach where the images you want to insert are.

9) select one. it will bring you back to the second window.

10) for additional images repeat steps 7-9, then click the "upload" button and wait for upload to complete

11) the window should close, returning you to the advanced post page, finish your post and submit.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:41 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

To insert an image from the internet.

1) copy the web address of the image*

2) paste in the message box**

3) submit post

*to get the actual address of an image, I will right click on the image, and select "open image in new tab/window" this will give you the real address for the image itself, not the page that it's in.

**sometimes just pasting the address won't work. I will add the "code" for images, which is the letters "img" inside a set of brackets opening and closing... [ ] and [ / ] it should look like [ img ] and [ / img ] but without the spaces
Old 05-27-2008, 05:24 PM
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Default We got a winner

Decided to go with the Great Planes Piper Cub. Any GP Piper Cub building tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by CHEECH; 06-23-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

oh cheech, say it isn't so...
Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 PM
wingspann
Certified Codger

Originally Posted by CHEECH View Post
Decided to go with the Great Planes Piper Cub. Any GP Piper Cub building tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
You're a pilot, so you should know enough about how planes function to design and build your own out of foam. Lots of good info on the forum on that topic. Can't beat it for cheap building material, and it's super easy to fix when you ding it (and you WILL). Building it yourself will let you change any element of it to tailor the performance to your needs. Another plus is that you wouldn't have to switch back and forth between transmitters and learn two different sets of controls (single stick vs standard 2 stick). Things can get confusing enough without having to remember which box you're using.

Having said that, after I designed and built my own foamy I bought an Art-Tech Decathlon from Hobby City for comparison. The Decathlon is semi-scale in appearance and performance, making it a pretty nice little aileron trainer, but my Albert Ross is bigger, more powerful, tougher, and all-round better as a trainer.

I'm about to build another set of wings for Albert to improve its aerobatic capabilities (not much right now with huge dihedral). By the time I get them built I should be about ready to move up in performance.

Good luck with your Cub!

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Albert Ross 1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	67316  

Last edited by wingspann; 05-27-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-27-2008, 09:16 PM
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Fly Mon

Hello. I guess you have had a bad experience with the GP piper cub. Havent swiped the credit card yet. If what I intent to fly later has ailerons, should I get a trainer with ailerons?

Foam or Balsa? Another confusing topic.

Last edited by CHEECH; 05-28-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 PM
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

John

Im impressed with your engineering. I will look into the decathalon. The first time I flew a CITABRIA, (Lets see if any of you out there can decipher the name) except you John. My instructor being a former F-18 pilot told me it had the same pitching characteristics as the Hornets he flew. Minus the speed of coarse. It was a fun plane to fly. I like the look too. Whens the last time you have gone up. Need to get my 90day Day and Night qual.

Cheech
Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

I think the problem is that plane is BALSA and will be difficult to repair and not forgiving on unscheduled landings.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:47 PM
madwebtvscientist

Default So Many Planes, So Little Time!

CHEECH, It has just dawned on me how brilliant Park Flyer manufacturers really are. First of all let me make it perfectly clear that I dearly love my "slightly modified" FlyZone Piper J-3 Cub and would not hesitate to buy another one if anything happened to my current one. The next url brings up some of the priceless adventures some of us have enjoyed with this plane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_65...tm.htm#7465425

A number of rank beginners have learned to fly with this Cub. The intensity of the effort required to be successful has produced some truly dedicated modelers. It is natural to appreciate things more that have a price that must be paid to enjoy success.

I must confess that I bought this Cub because I fell in love with it's appearance. I already had around two years experience flying "motor powered gliders" so I thought the Cub would be easy to master. I turned out to not be as smart as I thought I was. I had a wonderful learning experience!

Like many Park Flyers the stock FlyZone J-3 Cub is underpowered and I have finally thought of at least one very ingenious reason why this is so. To minimize damage to people and property from the kind of uncontrolled behavior of certain kinds of newbies, the "lowest practical" kinetic energy is designed into products newbies are likely to buy. I have always wanted a J-3 Cub. Yes, had it been available when the "Park Flyer bug" bit me, I would have bought one then!

The manufactures know that resourceful modelers who get beyond the "crashing stage" will discover how to upgrade their equipment to performance levels that will meet their preference. For example, I have never used that heavy stock battery in my Cub. For best performance I love my 1.5 ounce LiPos. Someday I will experiment with the stock battery to see just how "different" the Cub will fly (?) with it.
So unless you just MUST learn to fly with this plane I can't in good conscience recommend it. Listen to the other guys, read other threads, and have as much fun as you can stand and/or pay for.

IT'S A GREAT HOBBY!

madwebtvscientist

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:49 AM
wingspann
Certified Codger

Originally Posted by CHEECH View Post
John

Im impressed with your engineering. I will look into the decathalon. The first time I flew a CITABRIA, (Lets see if any of you out there can decipher the name) except you John. My instructor being a former F-18 pilot told me it had the same pitching characteristics as the Hornets he flew. Minus the speed of coarse. It was a fun plane to fly. I like the look too. Whens the last time you have gone up. Need to get my 90day Day and Night qual.

Cheech
Nothing to the engineering. Just 3 sheets of Elmer's Foam Board from Wally World for the wings and some leftover 1/2" blue foam insulation board for the fuselage. Inspiration for the pusher design is derived from the "Frog" and "Blu-Beagle" foamies. A little Gorilla Glue and 5 minute epoxy, and it's a flying machine. The big foam nose pads the battery perfectly and prevents any serious damage to anything that gets in its way. I'm also proud to note that I've never had to replace a prop on Albert!

OK, I won't mention the mirror!

Unfortunately it's been over a year since these old feet left the ground. There's an ultralight group that meets at our local field on Sundays, and they've invited me out to fly with them. Just haven't found the time to go yet.

John
Old 05-28-2008, 01:06 AM
wilky
Off topic talking fool

I have to agree with Flying Monkey (yeah another one for the monkey is right thread) Hobbyzone super cub is the way to go and when you get to the point of ailerons you can just mod the cub.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 AM
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

When classifying RC aircraft, or ordering parts. What is it meant when numbers are present. For example,

Fixed Landing gear strut designed for .09 size planes. Or .19 size planes, or .40 size, and so on.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:32 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

the size glow engine.

.09 would be a tiny little plane

.40 would be your typical glow sized trainer
Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 PM
madwebtvscientist

Default Decathlon Rtf - Future Airplane

CHEECH, ParkZone recently announced a 20% power increase for their new "Decathlon RTF " in an e-mail message. I immediately responded by promising to buy one as soon as I move into my next bigger house that will accommodate all of my planes plus all of the new ones I intend to buy/build.

I am really bad about not destroying airplanes. There are airplanes in my attic that date all the way back to the time of my service in the USAF before we lost the war. What little space I can make to squeeze my next few airplanes into must be reserved for "killer warbirds." Neat little planes like the Decathlon will have to wait for now.

We are all having fun seeing you have fun! Please keep sharing your adventures with us.

madwebtvscientist

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:01 AM
CHEECH
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Default Pico for Chico

Finally decided to take all of your wise input. This will be my trainer. It will work out for me because some of the guts thats in my GP Corsair, can go into the GWS Pico J3. The Corsair is safe for now. I'll beat up on the stick first.

Generaly after flying a trainer like this, how many hours does it take to start flying faster aileron equipt planes. On average please.

Thanks

Last edited by CHEECH; 06-23-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:22 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

it depends.

for me, I did better with my aileron planes, than I did the slow stick.

part of the reason for that, is I wasn't understanding the way it steered properly.

I tried turning with just rudder.

what that will do, is cause the plane to roll some as it turns slightly.

the proper thing to do, is give it up elevator while it is in that slight roll.

then when you are nearly to the direction you want, give opposite rudder to straighten back out.

to make this work well for aileron training, is to have the rudder on the aileron stick.

also, for training, I would recommend buying a good simulator. it is much cheaper than smashing planes.

Quick Reply: E-Flight Cub or FlyZone Cub

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15856 seconds with 16 queries