What plane should I buy??? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

What plane should I buy???

Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Panavia
Panavia

Question What plane should I buy???

Hi guys I am looking to buy a plane. It will be my first so I am thinking a cheap and easy to fly. I don't like it made out of foam. Can anyone please suggest a plane for me?
Old 04-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Hey Pan, welcome to the site, I moved your thread to beginners. Be sure to scope out our great threads on how to be successful!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:37 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Too Bad you don't care for foam... Probably the best bird out there to learn on is the Super Cub.

It would be worth it too give it a shot, It's easy to repair when you bust it up. Get it, practice and get good at flying and then get into some nice balsa craft.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:54 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Too Bad you don't care for foam... Probably the best bird out there to learn on is the Super Cub.

It would be worth it too give it a shot, It's easy to repair when you bust it up. Get it, practice and get good at flying and then get into some nice balsa craft.
Panavia::Foams cool!! try it, I've got balsa planes to an like um both but for ease in fix'in a crash to back in the air time is HUGE!!They can be lookers too! your bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 083.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	61620   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 305.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	61621   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 342.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	61622   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 406.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	61623   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 777.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	61624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 793.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	61625   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 221.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	61626   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 358.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	61627   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 542.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	61628   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 544.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	61629  

Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I also recommend the HZ Super Cub.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ7100

She's a good beginner plane and she handles GREAT! Very durable and easy to repair if she does take damage. I've moved up from the 3 channel Cub to a 4 channel Cessna and she is also foam. I LOVE that plane. I will actually be flying my 1st balsa plane on Saturday. But for a good quality beginner plane, go with the HZ Super Cub. Welcome to Wattflyer friend and good luck to you.

Mike
Old 04-04-2008, 08:14 AM
clockworks

If you live in a suitable area, I'd recommend the Kyosho Minium Cessna (branded as Parkzone in the US).
It flies like a proper 3 channel trainer, with one big advantage - it's almost impossible to damage it by crashing onto grass, since it weighs less than than 20 grams.
Drawback is, being light, it doesn't like wind.

Small size and low speed also helps, psychologically. You can fly this plane close to the ground. If you feel the plane getting away from you, nose it into the grass and try again.
My brother taught himself to fly with one of these.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:19 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Hi, Welcome, my planes todate are nearly all foam, you'll hear lost of praise on the Super Cup as fixes so easily, often simple tape fix, is durable for a foamie, amazing flyer, long threads on this puppie as to their amazement many succeed with this dude, handling is great. Even with my abusive flying went thru well over 200 flights, even have a 2nd Super Cub, it gets Top Rating as deserves it...<>...

At the start try and find a pilot, many of us haven't and paid the price, simulators can help but nothing compares to the real flight, near zero wind mandatory on maiden flight, usually will over control on the first outing and have disorientation on the turn around as controls reverse, pulse the controls can sometimes help, don't let it climb to steeply into a stall, and keep those wings level..wish you all the Best of Luck...

Super Cub, Night Flights
Stryker B
Parkzone Warbirds, these are fragile, Spitz
Stryker C, 82 MPH
Old 04-04-2008, 02:28 PM
zook

Welcomb, Panavia< YOU MAY WANT TO RETHINK ON FOMIES> I to did not at first think fomies look the way I wanted!!! But thanks to advise of my hobby store, they all made it a strong in put for my first aircraft to go with the super cub,boy Im I happy I did/ not only is it a great teaching plane its easey to repair and I dont care how good you may think you are you will <have a crash> Please dont grt upset but that is how it is!!! I may case I am self taught, hope you have some one to help you. But another thing this web has lots of imput on super cub. This is only my advise please get yourself a airplane that will please you good luck/ FROM THE ZOOK IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA, MTS.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:02 PM
john339

I agree with the other posters. I have two foam planes and when I need to repair, when I crash, they are easy to fix. More time in the air means more practice time.
You will crash, we all do, and then the repair time becomes important. epoxy and 5 minutes or so later you are back up.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Olias

I totally agree john339. Not only is repair time important as far as wanting to get in the air asap but repairing in general is actually a very necessary and essential skill that all RC'ers need to have. Regardless of whether you are flying foamies or Balsa's, electric or gas. All flyers crash at some point, some more than others. Just a simple but true fact. So, point is, learning to do minor and then some major repairs on foamies first can really pay off big time down the road when you drop some real serious cashola on a fancy shmancy bird. And btw....you won't more of kinder folks than around here that will help ya with any repair questions you could ever dream up. Good luck with your decision and hope ya get in the air soon!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Foam is king for trainers. And if this is indeed your first RC plane, then you really should consider getting a nice, sturdy, yet still cheap foam plane to learn on, and then translate those skills to a more expensive (and typically fragile) balsa model.

As for me, all my planes except one are foam, and several of them are very attractive looking, imo.

Planes I would recommend for starting out:

1. Wild Hawk (Easy Star knock-off) - $70 shipped (use coupon code "CJFREESHIPPING") from Raidentech.com. Easy to fly, LONG flight times (30 minutes+), and super crash resistant. Pusher prop setup, so you're far less likely to break props than with a puller prop setup like on the Super Cub. Cheap replacement parts are available as well, although mostly only online. All in all, this plane is just a ridiculously good value.

2. Super Cub - I don't have one, but everyone raves about them, so I guess they must be awesome. Supposedly flies great, and almost every LHS (local hobby shop) has all the replacement parts, so that's a definite plus. Still, I think it's a bit overpriced for what you're getting.

3. GWS Slow Stick - This one takes a bit more effort, time, and skill to assemble, but the process is well worth it, as the knowledge you gain from ordering all the right parts and then assembling it is invaluable--IF you end up deciding to stick with the hobby. Oh, and it's a great, easy flying plane as well. See my post here for one setup I recommended, complete with links and prices.

Just my opinion... But do give foamies a chance. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by gzsfrk; 04-09-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:12 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Default Why not foam

Originally Posted by Panavia View Post
Hi guys I am looking to buy a plane. It will be my first so I am thinking a cheap and easy to fly. I don't like it made out of foam. Can anyone please suggest a plane for me?
My fist question is, " Why not foam?"

You must have some reason. Would you tell us why? As stated above, if you are a self trainer, foam is probably best. It is hard to break and easy to fix. When you are tring to learn to fly these are two wonderful assets.

My top recommendations are the HobbyZone Super cub, as stated above, and the Multiplex Easy Star
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFXV0&P=7

However if you don't want foam her are some other choices:

wood kits

Mountain Models SmoothE
Note that it does have a foam wing, so it might not qualify.
http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=223

MM Dandy - all wood
http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=229

Hobbico Super Star EP RTF
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXJKU3**&P=7
Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 AM
KIMBERWHIP

1. super cub
2. t-28 trojan

why not foam?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 PM
madwebtvscientist

Smile Best Beginner's Plane Bargain

A measly $64.95 will give you one of the best beginner's plane available, especially for the price. I own a number of them because back up is nice and I enjoy modifying them for special purposes. There is also a lot of info in threads about the AB that is useful for beginner and intermediate flyers alike.

Please do not buy my nice light balsa. I need it for my Control-line aerobatics airplanes and my modified motor powered gliders (just kidding, I'll share).

Click on the url to bring up my favorite beginner's 3ch airplane.
3-CH Remote Control R/C Airplane glider/plane Complete kit, NEW!!!
http://www.raidentech.com/3recorcaiglc1.html

madwebtvscientist

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Last edited by madwebtvscientist; 04-11-2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added an "'" to beginners, changed "use" to "buy" and added a "t" to "abou"
Old 04-11-2008, 10:28 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by madwebtvscientist View Post
A measly $64.95 will give you one of the best beginner's plane available, especially for the price. I own a number of them because back up is nice and I enjoy modifying them for special purposes. There is also a lot of info in threads about the AB that is useful for beginner and intermediate flyers alike.

Please do not buy my nice light balsa. I need it for my Control-line aerobatics airplanes and my modified motor powered gliders (just kidding, I'll share).

Click on the url to bring up my favorite beginner's 3ch airplane.
3-CH Remote Control R/C Airplane glider/plane Complete kit, NEW!!!
http://www.raidentech.com/3recorcaiglc1.html
You know, I've been wanting to pick up one of those forever to see how they compare to the Wild Hawk. I imagine they glide a good deal better, but imagine that their performance isn't quite as impressive, since it's a fold prop design.

Know of any ARF versions that come with everything except the Radio Tx/Rx? I'm fast becoming an ARF snob, not wanting to acquire any more junk radios if I can help it.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:13 PM
madwebtvscientist

gzsfrk, no doubt about it, if I were getting into R/C today the Wild Hawk would be my first choice. Protected prop, larger wing span that can be seen better thus allowing greater soaring altitude, and a softer nose in the very unlikely event of a "problem" with people.

Except over rough weed areas that can rip the covering on landings on my preferred simi symmetrical wings that allow me to perform all of my favorite "warbird maneuvers," my easily modified ABs totally satisfy my current soaring, maneuvering and modeling promoting needs. Once people get interested in R/C many of them will probably go for the Hawk for their first plane for the above mentioned reasons. Interestingly, my simi symmetrical wings perform as well or better for soaring than the stock under camber airfoil ones. I have the under camber wings available for use over bad landing areas.

The higher power to weight ratio of my significantly lighter modified ABs will probably make outside maneuvers easier to perform than what could be expected of a modified Hawk using the stock motor. Is this fun or what?!

Spare parts for the AB that will provide you with an "AB kit" will be around half the cost of the RTF package. I like "back up" equipment so I have two ABs with skids that allow me to land on gravel or asphalt, two ABs that require grass or dirt landing areas, and a spare AB that will eventually be turned into a spare "feather weight" modified AB. My "feather weight" planes fly beautifully in windy or calm weather. Their slow graceful flying characteristics make them the most pleasurable to fly in mild weather. With added flaperons connected to the rudder servo and a double size rudder maneuverability with my light planes is very nice.

madwebtvscientist

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Last edited by madwebtvscientist; 04-12-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: paragraphs were fixed
Old 04-12-2008, 06:21 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Funny, though, the OP hasn't returned to see the answers posted here.......hmmmmmm......
Old 04-13-2008, 04:05 AM
Panavia
Panavia

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks everyone your adive is great
Old 04-13-2008, 04:13 AM
Lightner013

Honestly foam is probably the best product for starters. The super cub is a good plane but the foam that make the wings are a bit weak. The J-3 Cub by parkzone has a strong foam. I must have wreck mine over 100 and still on my original pair of wings. My super cub i had to replace the wings twice and wings for that are like 19$. But the easiest plane to fly and cheapest is that Firebird Phantom by Hobbyzone. I hardily breaks and is nice a slow great for starters A+++ hope this helps