Greg Covey's Article on Upgrading the Multiplex Magister "Axified" - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Greg Covey's Article on Upgrading the Multiplex Magister "Axified"

Old 01-13-2006, 02:56 PM
admin
Administrator

Default Greg Covey's Article on Upgrading the Multiplex Magister "Axified"

Greg took on a cool project to upgrade the Multiplex Magister stock power system and hop it up with an AXI outrunner.

You can check the article out in the rcu mag here

Old 01-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

Not a bad review, but he left off the most important part: THE PRICE. I don't suppose Ol' Greg had to pay for it, but for us less-priveleged "normal" people, that is probably a $300 upgrade, which is significant on a $110 plane.

I still think of getting one of these one day. But I don't think I'd stay brushed for long, hehehe.

On a side note, I was thinking that it would be cheaper to upgrade the Magister than the TwinStar II, but that one big motor really IS twice as much as two 400-class motors. Same with the ESCs.

Jeremy
Old 01-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

Oh, and he forgot to put the file size of the videos, but I guess that is just my own pet peeve.

BTW, thanks a LOT for putting the text of replies to subscribed threads in the reminder emails! It is just brilliant!

Jeremy
Old 01-14-2006, 03:46 AM
admin
Administrator

I pinged greg to have him note the price either here and/or in the article.

Also....seems most like the text in the emails so we'll leave 'em.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Greg Covey

Jeremy,

The reason you post a link to the vendor's page and don't show pricing is because it can change on a moments notice. Too many on-line reviews have outdated pricing due to the dynamics of today's R/C market. It is a simple click for the reader in the introduction section for the most current information at Hobby Lobby.

You also forgot to subtract the cost of a brushed power system for the Magister from your $300 price which makes it only about $150 for the upgrade. The difference in price provides a significant increase in performance and longevity.

Perhaps you can post some alternate examples to benefit our readers.

Regards.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:06 PM
TManiaci
Stupid Contributor

Exclamation Alternative...

I have just finished an AXI'fied Magester too. We went for a light build, and used Hitec HS-81 servos, AXI 2808/24, Dymond Modelsports 3S HD 2100 mAH 12C, Phoenix 35 and APC 10x5E. AUW came in at an amazing 53 oz's. This setup will make 45 oz's thrust WOT, not bad.

Will maiden as soon as I heal enough from knee surgery to get out to the feild. It's a beautiful plane, and I trust the light build will totaly transform it into an easy floating baby of a trainer. This one's for my Father-in-Law, he's still learning on the sim and occasionally flying his e-conversion Hobbico Nextstar. Hope to get him to the stage where he can go out on his own this year. That's what the Magister is for...
Old 01-15-2006, 05:19 AM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

Greg, I just thought it would have improved the article a bit if you mentioned the price at date of the writing. It is a good reference for people who don't always have a disposable few hundo.

My point was just that an extra $150 on top of the cost of a stock Magister, (which I thought included a brushed motor, but not the ESC?) is not insignificant, and is worth mentioning what it will set a person back.

It is especially significant since this is a plane that will be considered by beginners who are trying to come up with a workable budget for the plane, radio system, battery pack, etc.

Side note: Is FMA Direct YOUR company? I've got an FMA direct receiver, which has been pretty good.

Jeremy

Last edited by Jeremy Z; 01-17-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Stink Bomb SBD
.40 TBF's Wanted

Great review Greg, thanks. Informative as always. Looks like a nice steady plane. Hobby-Lobby also has a video of the plane being used to haul up a glider here...

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/magister.htm
Old 02-03-2006, 11:01 PM
TManiaci
Stupid Contributor

Exclamation Maiden Success

We got our Magister out to fly last Saturday. Ultra-lite setup:

AXI 2808/24
3S 2200 mAH 15C
APC 10x5E
Phoenix 35
JR 610UL Rx

275 Watts, 45 oz's thrust, AUW is 53 oz's.

Flies wonderfully, but it is a little underpowered here. Cruises around half throttle with ease once you're up. Climb is limited to 20-25 at WOT, not too bad, but you have to take it easy low and slow to avoid trouble. Slow fly is incredible at this weight. Most are over 80 oz's, so 53 oz's it floats like a glider. Landings are greasy smooth and short. Very nice trainer platform, I highly recommend it!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:07 PM
semiroundel

Default E-fied Magister

Hi all, I am an occasional flier (kids get more attention, can't wait till they just grunt at me: more time to myself), so I bought magister to electrify.
Dunno AUW, but if pressed will check.
AXI 282012, 3s4p Thunder power (6000mahr I think) APC 11x5 and standard servos.
Now, as I don't get to fly often, each time I go out there, I'm really nervous, but despite the weight of this plane, it still makes me look good, great ROG's and real easy landings, only thing I would recommend, is a 6 kilo servo torque for nose wheel as I'm real bad at finals. But I'm sure it's not absolutely necessary. Anyone want more info please ask.