FMA skyvolt/balance pro sources - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

FMA skyvolt/balance pro sources

Old 01-11-2006, 11:55 PM
jonnyjetprop

Default FMA skyvolt/balance pro sources

Are there any on-line retailers selling the latest goodies from FMA? I saw that Tower Hobbies is only stocking a few of the batteries. I know that I can order direct, but I'm also looking for a good deal

John
Old 01-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Greg Covey

John,

The BalancePro HD line (formerly Skyvolt) is currently only sold at FMA Direct. The lower cost Cellpro line will also be sold by distributors like Hobbico, Horizon, and Hobby Lobby.

The BalancePro HD line is a state of the art system meant for larger electrics and glow conversions. The lower-cost Cellpro line is meant for most electrics and smaller glow conversions. The new 4s Cellpro balancing charger will have a built-in LCD display and a street price around $49.99. The 4s Cellpro DPM is also much smaller and lower cost than the 6s BalancePro HD DPM. These new products will be first seen at the GP E-fest and then initially become available at the WRAM show around the middle of February.

We will also be soon releasing a new Cellpro Slimline series of packs that will be priced around 15% less than another well-known brand using the same cells.

For the latest in Lithium Technology, please read Lithium Power Solutions
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CP4SDPM_gregs.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	5846   Click image for larger version

Name:	LIPOCH4S10.BIG.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	5847   Click image for larger version

Name:	CPSlimlinePacks_gregs.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	5848  
Old 01-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

The Skyvolt/BalancePro 6S and 6S charger are awesome. I look foward to the Slimline series.
Greg,
I think you told me, but are the Slimline 10-12c?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:41 PM
ragbag
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Greg Covey View Post
John,

The BalancePro HD line is a state of the art system meant for larger electrics and glow conversions. The lower-cost Cellpro line is meant for most electrics and smaller glow conversions. The new 4s Cellpro balancing charger will have a built-in LCD display and a street price around $49.99. The 4s Cellpro DPM is also much smaller and lower cost than the 6s BalancePro HD DPM. These new products will be first seen at the GP E-fest and then initially become available at the WRAM show around the middle of February.

We will also be soon releasing a new Cellpro Slimline series of packs that will be priced around 15% less than another well-known brand using the same cells.

For the latest in Lithium Technology, please read Lithium Power Solutions
As a lot of other modelers feel the Balance Pro system is a little over kill for us.
The Cell Pro looks like a very good system coming down the pike for the average modeler. I am looking at one of your competitors cell balancer.

Guess I'll hold off on the order.

By George
Old 01-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Greg Covey

Mike,

Our Cellpro Slimline ratings will be more realistic than how they are rated by the other manufacturer. You will be able to see the Cell Rating Specs on this new pack line soon.

ragbag,

You are very right. The Cellpro line is more for the majority R/Cer and the BalancePro HD line is for higher-end glow conversions. The new Kokam 4.8AH cell will be added to the latter line soon for 100amp discharge applications without paralleling cells.

Ken,

You can charge your Cellpro packs through the discharge connector until the new 4s Cellpro charger is released about mid February. Smaller cell count packs take much longer to unbalance than higher cell count packs. If you don't discharge them all the way to 3.0v, it helps to keep them balanced.

The BalancePro HD 6s charger does have several advantages for the extra money. First, it can charge/balance up to a 6s pack. Second, it can charge up to 10amps. Third, we will be releasing additional adapters for other popular non-FMA pack brands. Currently, we just have the adapter for Cellpro packs.

Regards.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:46 AM
varble4u

Default Charger

Just got a note from Cindy at FMA that she is processing my order. I ordered the the 6s charger and adapter cable I will order the 4s cellpro charger when it comes out. Ken
Old 01-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Nathan
Administrator

This thread topic is about FMA, please keep it on track. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Mike Parsons
Penguins still can't fly

I split the discussion about other brand balancers into a seperate thread for continued discussion.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-18-2006, 04:42 PM
stanger89

Greg,

Is there a way to get just the node connectors? I've got a couple pre-cellpro/balancepro Kokam 3200s that it would be great to add balancing capability to.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

How good are you at soldering, and have you ever soldered aluminum? Aluminum soldering requires a special solder paste whose fumes are quite noxious.

Adding balancing connectors isn't something that just anyone who's never soldered before can do. The seal between the plastic "baggie" that contains the cell and the aluminum tabs that carry electricity are particulary susceptible to damage from the heat of a soldering iron. Hold the iron a little too long and blammo, the seal is broken and the cell is toast...

FMA does sell an extension cable for their balancepro HD connectors, from which you could cannibalize the proper connector. Just make sure you're sure that you really want to take the risk before you start soldering on the cells.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:38 PM
stanger89

Originally Posted by Matt Kirsch View Post
How good are you at soldering, and have you ever soldered aluminum?
I'm pretty good at soldering, I've done stuff from surface mount microwave circuits to batteries (nicads).
Aluminum soldering requires a special solder paste whose fumes are quite noxious.
I'm not affraid of some fumes
Adding balancing connectors isn't something that just anyone who's never soldered before can do. The seal between the plastic "baggie" that contains the cell and the aluminum tabs that carry electricity are particulary susceptible to damage from the heat of a soldering iron. Hold the iron a little too long and blammo, the seal is broken and the cell is toast...

FMA does sell an extension cable for their balancepro HD connectors, from which you could cannibalize the proper connector. Just make sure you're sure that you really want to take the risk before you start soldering on the cells.
I guess that will be the question then. There's not much I'm affraid of trying, that said, I know when there's something that's not worth the trouble. Guess I'll see where I go with lipos. Right now I'm still getting into it, with only one pack (actually 2 2s 3200 packs) and an Astro 109. If/when I start buying CellPro or BalancePro packs I'll probably look into adding taps and setting my current pack up for balanced charging. Thanks Chad
Old 03-26-2006, 06:42 PM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Can anybody tell me what kind of charge time you get with something like a 2100mAh with the FMA chargers?
Old 03-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Twmaster

With the appropriate connectors will the new FMA chargers also correctly charge other makes of Lipo (I know this question may sound silly but I'm just covering my hiney here)
Old 03-26-2006, 07:06 PM
fabricator
Mayday! Mayday!

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
With the appropriate connectors will the new FMA chargers also correctly charge other makes of Lipo (I know this question may sound silly but I'm just covering my hiney here)
Hey! Fancy meetin you here
Old 03-26-2006, 09:57 PM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
The way I heard it from the source (when I ordered my Cellpro 4S charger), adapters for other brands battery pack balancing connectors are being manufactured as well, so that most everyone will be able to properly balance charge their Li-Po packs, thus extending those pack's life span.

http://www.fmadirect.com/Detail.htm?...116&section=45