Cularis radio set-up - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Cularis radio set-up

Old 11-24-2007, 02:06 AM
deadstick

Default Cularis radio set-up

I know the MPX Cularis has been talked about a lot here; I'm pretty sure I've read every post. As I start assembly I begin to realize what I haven't seen... Can some one/two/three who is familiar with both the Cularis and Futaba 7CAP (or similar) talk a little about radio set-up? Are flaps Y-corded? Stabilizer mixed in? Are flaps on a switch or the knob? …That sort of thing.

Also, I read in a very well written build thread that the stock flap throw was ahh... minimal... and the builder had made some modifications. Have others found this to be true, or does a stock set-up provide adiquate braking for small fields?

I've been ghosting for several weeks (while I considered my second glider, fourth plane) and though I've often been tempted to offer comment or question, I couldn't seem to get a confirmation email through my spam filter. Anyway, I hope that a few of you knowledgeable folks will take the time to put me on the right track--or point me to a link that will.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 AM
mars

I dont have a Cularis, but I do have a 7cap.
For me, camber is on the dial. Spoilers/flaps can be bound to a switch.
Plenty of mixing available on this radio.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:05 PM
deadstick

Thanks for the input mars. Do you use a 2 position switch up/down and only deploy flap "full-on" for landing?

Cularis is my first "full up" glider and it's size is a little intimidating (my previous experience is with 2 meter). It didn't look that big in the pictures, I could cover it with my thumb! Now, opening the box I see the pod is almost sized like an American football and I find myself thinking that crashing will make a very big mess. I think I need confidence as much as advice.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:57 PM
mars

Mine is set to provide a little camber(flap) for thermaling, maybe 1-2degrees as per model specs.
I use switch "G". Its a 3 postion switch. Center of the switch is normal flight. Forward is for spoilers(braking), back activates the dial for camber. You can set your limits for the dial for both flaps and and spoilers(for punching or thermal).
I set switch "D" for dual rates, all rates bound to one switch.
Switchs A, B, and E I never really use, but may need to for aileron to rudder mixing.

The only problem I have is the dial needs a better centering system. Like something attached to the dial to easily tell center, or if the dial had a natural center. But it works and Ive been flying sailplanes and others on it since the 7C came out.

Crow would be best for landings. Flaps(wash in) only may cause the plane to tip stall on approach. Spoilers(wash out) would be better for landings on a aileron only ship.

Here's a couple of links.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=crow+Cularis
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=crow+Cularis

Last edited by mars; 11-24-2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: More info...
Old 11-26-2007, 05:21 PM
deadstick

Thanks again, mars. I've been printing and pasting accumulated tips and tricks (along with the manual pages) on large sheets in preparation for building. I will ad yours (and any found in the threads you have kindly pointed to) to the set-up section.
I suspect that none of this is as critical as I make it in my own mind, but I have never built a functional (only display where all that matters is the look) model before and I am anxious to get it right… the cost of this hobby is not inconsequential to me and advice that protects my investment is invaluable.
As to the difficulty of the knob—I see your point. My brother insists that there is a thumb “handle” that fits over it to assist using the right thumb to adjust. I have not seen it, but imagine that any appendage may be of help in making the position/setting of it more clear.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:51 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Deadstick,

What radio set-up did you finally use? It would be great if you could post your set-up for the benefit of others.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:49 AM
deadstick

Sorry for the delay in answering; a cold winter made me unwilling to trust glue applied in an unheated shop, it’s been a wet spring, and as the weather warms the build has been interrupted by about everything yard and garden!

I found a specific 7CAP/ Cularis control combination at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724843. I tried it, but something wasn't right and the left flap wasn’t responding. I tracked part of the problem to a bad servo (weird… new, I tested it a dozen times before gluing). I cut it out and replaced it, then tried the Futaba recommended setup: flaperons active and airbrake engaged—left flap dead again! I haven’t replaced it, but I plugged the replacement into the receiver to work out the radio settings. Futaba describes setting crow on a switch, but I’d really like them on the knob to start, so I can see the effect. I can’t get channel 5 to slave with 6; maybe I’m not assigning properly: 1R & 7L ailerons, 2 elevator, 3 throttle, 4 is rudder, 5R & 6L are flaps. Frustration is running high as even following the instructions I cannot get where I want to go! My previous set-ups were pretty simple by comparison and I just don’t have the depth of experience to know where the problem is.

Anyhew, Saturday is coming and I look forward to trying again… I’ll report any success as getting close to having it together and warm breezy spring days makes me eager.

Any advice would be appreciated.