e-starter brushless and lipo batt? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

e-starter brushless and lipo batt?

Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 PM
bomber70

Default e-starter brushless and lipo batt?

im new to watt flyer and is a great place to get info.on my 2nd e starter as my first was put together way to heavy(too much glue&epoxy)found that the plane flew very hard to control at half throtle but once(after crashing 2 times with more epoxy)that at full throtle the plane flew great very stable.my ailerons were not giving alot of response and were replaced with much larger balsa versions(made too long and caused the 3rd and final crash,after servo falure.liked the way the plane flew and made another purchase to continue to learn to fly with ailerons.the plane was stock with a 400 geared motor.on the new plane would like to use brushless and go with lipos to increase flight times,with my stock 400 and with the nimh 8cell i was getting around 5 min. but had to run at full throtle.i think if i put a combo together i hope to be able to fly at 1/2 to 3/4 throtle and get the loooong flight times.i am planning to use balsa ailerons(much smaller,matched up the size with the old foam ones).with all the posts that ive seen on watt flyer maybe you guys could come up with some combos. saw a post about a guy selling some inexpensive combos at heads up r/c on ebayfor about 32 dollarsto around 36 dollar for the motor and speed control(model #2410-08y)he staes this is a great combo for the e-starter with 22 oz. thrust at 10 amps. im new and need a little help as i want to get something but as well as would like a set-up that i can grow with as well and use on planes down the road.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

I recently built a brushless E-starter and loved it with the Himax 2015 and 3s lipo.

Here is a link to the build thread:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61
Old 08-15-2007, 09:44 PM
sawatt

Originally Posted by Reformed Nitroaddict View Post
I recently built a brushless E-starter and loved it with the Himax 2015 and 3s lipo.

Here is a link to the build thread:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61

Too bad your pictures don't show up...I still have my E-Starter 400 in the box and am trying to decide if I want to put the 400 it comes with in there (I have a brushed ESC for it) or just go brushless with the combo that Bomber70 mentioned...That's a good price for the combo.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:03 PM
bomber70

its a good price 32 dollars but is it gonna have the power and performance you would expect out of that brushless for the price
Old 08-16-2007, 11:42 AM
sawatt

From all the lousy comments I hear about the stock engine in the E-Starter, anything brushless would be better.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

Because the photos I posted in my BL E-Starter thread were deleated due to bandwidth constrictions on photobucket, here are some backup ones I took. Hope these help with your build.

Sorry they are blurry, they were taken with a camera phone.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

Old 08-16-2007, 04:09 PM
bomber70

sorry but the photos are not rhere to view
Old 08-16-2007, 04:34 PM
sawatt

They work for me. Thanks RN!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

No problem, sawatt. As you can see, I changed to tri-cycle gear, balsa ailerons, and clipped the wings as well.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 PM
bomber70

got the photos thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 PM
bomber70

the 3s lipo you are using in that plane is mah and how long will it stay in the air ,good flight times and what kinda landing gear is that looks like it would work great as a trike i see you moved the landing gear back and put a wheel in the front just probablly bent music wire and a wheel but what kinda wheels?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Reformed Nitroaddict

I am using a GWS 1320mah 3s pack. I get about 10mins at full throttle, about 12-14 mins if I conserve power.

The gear is simply moved to the rear marker, and I built the front gear out of wire.

The wheels are E-flite.

The pack in the photo is an old Kokam pack, that is not what is being used.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:42 PM
bomber70

i have my motor picked out im gonna use a toer probrushless motor and speed control but my question is about a batt. the dealer has a 1200 mah lipo for about 32 dollars but at tower hobbies they have a gws 11.1 v2200 mah that has about the same size and is 4.9 oz. only 1 oz heavier than the 3.9 oz from the guy im getting the motor from.now the gws you are using is a 1300 mah, and is lighter than the 3.9 oz batt its 3.1 oz now my question to you is if i kick up the mah how will it affect my plane? i know it will have a long flight due to the high mah but will run hot ,burn up my motor,blow up in flight and my plane go down in flames? just want long flight
Old 08-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

mah won't affect power, unless you are over amping the pack you have now. I think that 2100mah packs would be way to heavy for this plane - it is better to keep it light - also, 2100 packs are over twice the size of 1320s, so, you would have to cut a huge section out to make them fit. I had to cut alot out just to get the 1320 to fit.

I am getting about 10mins with the 1320, which is enough for me. The 2100 will be so much heavier, that the extra weight would kill alot of the flight time gain. I would imagine only a couple of mins extra flight time - plus, 1320s are around 30-40 bucks, where all my 2100s were over 75.00.

a 1320 pack weighs about 84 grams, or 2.96oz and a 2100mah pack weighs 142grams, or 5.01oz. Almost double the weight. the 1320 pack you are quoting seems very heavy, and the gws pack weighs more then 4.9oz - that is probably without any connectors as a TP prolite pack weighs 5oz, and it is one of the lightest on the market.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:11 AM
mdl76

I just got done flying my e-starter after flying with a new brushless upgrade. I can not believe the power. I bought the 2409-18T Outrunner Brushless Motor & 20A ESC on ebay from heads up rc and I bought the FMA direct
3-cell, 2100mAh capacity revolution lipos (check out the specs. awesome for the price) I flew for about 12 minutes and came down cause it was getting dark but I think it would fly for about 20 minutes with heavy throttle.
This thing looks like its doing about 30mph in the air(well maybe 25)
This setup totally renewed my fun with this plane. I never new this plane could roll so fast

Sorry about the bold print.

ps I also bought the cellpro 4s charger and love it.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 AM
mdl76

Originally Posted by Reformed Nitroaddict View Post
mah won't affect power, unless you are over amping the pack you have now. I think that 2100mah packs would be way to heavy for this plane - it is better to keep it light - also, 2100 packs are over twice the size of 1320s, so, you would have to cut a huge section out to make them fit. I had to cut alot out just to get the 1320 to fit.
Yes, it is a bit easier to handle and land when light, but I just love the long flight times with the 2100. Plus for the small price increase I get a lot more run time than with a 1320. AUW is 20.25 oz. Other than needing a bit more room to land, I love this battery. Im very happy i went with a 2100 These are just my opinions.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:43 PM
bomber70

i was looking at a batt like that but where did you put it .i took a look at the under cabin compartment and it will just fit ,barley. i also thought of putting the 2100 mah in the radio compartment in front of the servos and mounting esc and receiver on the firewallthe added weight might balance the plane nice.my last stock e starter ,had to add alot of weight to the nose to balance it.
now the motor you went with has alot more thrust and runs at higher amps heads up recommends using the 2410-08y for the e starter,has less thrust than the 2409-18t not by much but what steered you to that motor as im ready to buy my brushless and just want to get a motor that i will be happy with for this plane and the next one and down the road.??
Old 08-25-2007, 12:51 AM
mdl76

Here are some pics of the battery compartment chop and cut job. Notice the nifty lexan access door. My CG is about dead on. Some day I may make the door a bit more pretty, but when its in the air flying you cant tell is not pretty.
Why did I go with the bigger motor? Well I have a bunch of 10x6 prop and the 08y puts out 22oz thrust (motor put out a max of 23oz with 10x4.7)
The 18T I went with Has 26oz with a 10x6 and a max of 30 with a 11x5.5E.

For $6.00 I get a motor that puts out about 15-20% more thrust. Ive flown 4 batteries so far and I love this motor. my AUW is around 20 oz. My plane will go vertical until I decide to stop it. I love to have this power. I love to do acrobatics so I need power. If I want to do some scale flying I just keep off the throttle. But mainly I get on it between and full tilt and I get about 15 minutes of run time. If I drive like granny I can fly for about 25-30 minutes. also, for a bit more $$ than the 1320 you can get the 2100. it just made sense to go with it.

If I was you id get the 18t. You can always make a motor go slow, but once a motor is going full tilt, thats all your getting.
I also wanted a motor I could use on a heavier plane in the future.

Next I may put this motor on my slow stick and put the 2836-10 in the e-starter . 38oz thrust on a 21oz plane... cool...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1229.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	39019   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1227.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	39020  
Old 08-25-2007, 05:58 AM
bomber70

made my purchase today,ordered the 08y, 2100 mah 3 cell lipo.went with this because i liked the way it mounts to the plane a bit better,with the metal motor mount w/ heat sink,i think the way i fly( still new ,this will give me alot more performance than i had with the stock 400 and 9.6v 750 mah nimh batt i was using .i do like the idea you have about cutting out the batt. area to make room for the lipo,but am in a holding pattern till my batt. shows up.dimentions off the net are just about the same size as the compartment with no cutting ,but will be a tight fit,will probablly wait,and give a little space for air,and fix some kinda door as my old estarters batt door kept opening on landings letting my batt. fall out(bad design)had to use rubber bands to keep it in.have time waiting for parts so i am doing a paint job on this plain and adding some nice mods. did the balsa ailerons and added carbon grafite strips to the inside of the fusalage for strengh(thanks to all the input to the guys on wattflyer for the ideas)
taking my time and so far is turning out rally cool. will put some pics on this thread this weekend,tonight too busy and working early tommorow,should be sunday.its nice to hear how that batt. and mtor really works for you im sure mine that is coming will give me alot of performance with some long flights
Old 08-25-2007, 01:16 PM
mdl76

Originally Posted by bomber70 View Post
and mtor really works for you im sure mine that is coming will give me alot of performance with some long flights
You'll still be over 100% thrust to weight with that motor. So it will pull you plane along nicely. Im just a power monger.

You'll get over 20 minutes of flight. That will rock!

You'll be happy with it.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:57 PM
bomber70

mdl , when you mounted your motor there are 2 places to mount it. instructions say with the brushed 400 to use the top 10 mm mounting hole and with the 400 c to use the bottom 10 mm hole which did you use and what is the difference between the two will it change the way the plane flys .when the motor is in the top hole it is slightly above the center of fusalage,when mounted in bottom hole slightly below the center
Old 09-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Default It's the way they line-up

bomber70::It's the way they line-up after you mount them, I forgot to GET THE BRUSHLESS MOUNT! ( and had to wait on one) heres a pix the shows the setup on mine, Don't worry about gutt'in the batt compartment to fit big lipos , your bub, stevecooper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 483.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	40159   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 482.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	40160   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 177.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	40161  
Old 09-07-2007, 06:55 AM
FORDEVR

Been a year since i flew my e-starter, but I love it. I got 4 other people started on the same plane. Defanitly lipo and brushless. my cousin found a really awesome match-up for bat and motor but ill need to ask him cause i cant remember. As for the Battery hatch, we found that earth magnets and a little imagination and you can make a awesome hatch that will never come off unless you want it to. we made our hatches outta balsa and then put little air scoops on the bottom made outta half a marker cap, for extra cooling for the battery. You will love this plane as I do. If it doesn't fly it isnt the planes fault.

ENJOY
Old 09-07-2007, 05:34 PM
mdl76

Originally Posted by bomber70 View Post
mdl , when you mounted your motor there are 2 places to mount it. instructions say with the brushed 400 to use the top 10 mm mounting hole and with the 400 c to use the bottom 10 mm hole which did you use and what is the difference between the two will it change the way the plane flys .when the motor is in the top hole it is slightly above the center of fusalage,when mounted in bottom hole slightly below the center
I just used the top one. That put the prop in the same local as the brushed motor.

Quick Reply: e-starter brushless and lipo batt?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10578 seconds with 20 queries