rpm-based controller for variable-pitch prop - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electronic Builders Workshop Discuss how to build motors, ESC's, chargers, mixers, etc here

rpm-based controller for variable-pitch prop

Old 01-24-2007, 04:56 PM
werner2k

Thumbs down rpm-based controller for variable-pitch prop

Hello from Vienna (that one in Austria!). Does somebody know of a nice circuit-diagramm for a feedback-controller, which allows me to feather my variable-pitch prop when reaching a certain rpm value after engaging the electronic brake?
The project (a Grob G109 motorglider) uses a Cyclon 90 brushless motor, a JETI-BECless controller and a 10SLipo-Powerpak.
The variable-pitch-prop can be feathered using a standard-servo from the receiver, but I would like to automate it based on the actual rpm's.
For a sensor either a Hal-senssor or optical one is possible, and I have a solution for counting the sensor's pulses and calculation the rpm's - I just dont want to go all the way to an on-board micro-computer (going back to PIC-programming would be a last ditch-solution) - any suggestions are greatly
appreciated!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Cyberwollf
Lawn Dart

any progress?

are the sensors's pulses counted analog or digitaly. maybe some ADCs and comparators.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:53 AM
werner2k

Yes there is progress - I decided to go for the microprozessor-solution, but spawned the pic-processor and decided to use an atmel-chip with the arduino-opensource development environment (thats a free high-level-language, programming-boards at around half the price of pic ones, etc.)
got the development package from italy just this week. the sensor-hw will be an optical one (no magnets on the axle).
Old 05-01-2007, 04:28 PM
jperch

If you are already using a brushless controller, you can sense the RPM from teh signals being sent to the motor. You don't need and extra optical or hall effect sensor. Eagle Tree now makes a sensor that electrically conntects to the wires going to the motor and can record motor RPM.

Joe