Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

First attempt at building a foamie

Old 10-21-2005, 06:25 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Crashalott View Post
I built a full fuse using formers cut from the Wallyboard and in the front end i used thin plywood for the landing gear and the motor mt.
That makes sense. Those formers are light weight and will add considerable strength to the fuselage besides making it look more like an airplane.

That also explains why you saved so much weight on your model. Since you were building a complete full fuselage the extra paper on both sides would have added quite a lot of unnecessary baggage onboard.

I'll use the same aproach on whatever I decide to build.

Any pictures you can post of your plane?

Old 10-22-2005, 05:22 AM
runwaydodger
Airframe strength tester.

thats why i remove the paper. built up fuse you tend to add a lot of paper in the mix. plus it just seems right. i use carbon spars and sometimes the smallest dowel rods, depends on the model. i just got my new postal scale(other one came to a sudden stop on concrete. ) and weighed the parts before and after the paper removal, 2.7 ounce reduction.( in my f-18.) it varies from plane to plane, a small 3-d plane would probably only add up to about 1\2 to 1 ounce, but thats a flat fuse.you can check out a couple of my pusher jets at http://runwaydodger.rcuniverse.com pics are to big i guess to post here. anyway the paper is heavier than you might think.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:36 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by runwaydodger View Post
thats why i remove the paper. built up fuse you tend to add a lot of paper in the mix. plus it just seems right. i use carbon spars and sometimes the smallest dowel rods, depends on the model. i just got my new postal scale(other one came to a sudden stop on concrete. ) and weighed the parts before and after the paper removal, 2.7 ounce reduction.( in my f-18.) it varies from plane to plane, a small 3-d plane would probably only add up to about 1\2 to 1 ounce, but thats a flat fuse.you can check out a couple of my pusher jets at http://runwaydodger.rcuniverse.com pics are to big i guess to post here. anyway the paper is heavier than you might think.
Not only the paper, but I guess the adhesive gets disolved away while the sheet is kept wet. I am sure that once you remove the paper, most of the adhesive goes with it, and so does its additional weight.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:29 AM
runwaydodger

most of the adhesive is gone but you still need to sand a little with some 400 grit sandpaper to make the paint look good. the paint dont stick at all to the glue if any is left. most of the weight is the paper though, they use a multi-layer and it is a pretty good paper.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:56 AM
Combat Drone
BMcduffy

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
Not only the paper, but I guess the adhesive gets disolved away while the sheet is kept wet. I am sure that once you remove the paper, most of the adhesive goes with it, and so does its additional weight.
qban, I am looking forward to your experiment with the 1/2 and 1/2 sheet. I just stripped all the paper off of a Edge 540 profile that I cut out. I could not beleive the big pile of wet paper! I didn't weigh it but once the whole bunch dried out it felt like the weight of an entire plane all by itself, wow!

Now I understand why folks strip off all the paper, now on to the build and paint job.:p
Old 10-24-2005, 06:25 AM
qban_flyer

Smile

most of the adhesive is gone but you still need to sand a little with some 400 grit sandpaper to make the paint look good. the paint dont stick at all to the glue if any is left. most of the weight is the paper though, they use a multi-layer and it is a pretty good paper.
Too bad it is so darned heavy, isn't it?

Old 10-24-2005, 06:29 AM
qban_flyer

Question

Originally Posted by Combat Drone View Post
qban, I am looking forward to your experiment with the 1/2 and 1/2 sheet. I just stripped all the paper off of a Edge 540 profile that I cut out. I could not beleive the big pile of wet paper! I didn't weigh it but once the whole bunch dried out it felt like the weight of an entire plane all by itself, wow!

Now I understand why folks strip off all the paper, now on to the build and paint job.:p
Are we sure it is paper and not lightweight cardboard? Based on what he says about it being multi layer and looking at it makes me think it's possible that it might be very thin cardboard on that white foam and not paper.

I'll do my "experiment" during the week, then I'll post what the difference of the papered foam vs. the paperless one really is.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Qban Flyer, here is a pic of my Mini 3DXF made of Wallyboard(stripped)

Old 10-25-2005, 03:58 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Qban Flyer, here is a pic of my Mini 3DXF made of Wallyboard(stripped)
Now that's a mighty fine looking Wallyboard foamy you have there Crashalott. Amazing what you did with that board, and I now can see why is it that so much weight can be saved by removing the paper (cardboard?) from the board's surface.

Nice job!!!

Old 10-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Combat Drone
BMcduffy

That looks great Crash, well done!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Hey thanks for the compliments guy's
Old 10-26-2005, 02:11 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Very fine looking plane. How does she fly crash?
Old 10-26-2005, 03:46 AM
runwaydodger

nice plane! you may be right on the cardboard, or maybe posterboard .whatever it is it works better without it.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Don07tncav View Post
Very fine looking plane. How does she fly crash?
This airframe works good but so far i don't have the right setup for it to fly the best. It is experimental right now and i am awaiting some parts for it to further experiment. I expect it to fly good. If it don't i can make another one. I probably will anyway.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

nice plane! you may be right on the cardboard, or maybe posterboard .whatever it is it works better without it.
Hey, its hard to beat the price!
Old 10-26-2005, 06:23 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

It is experimental right now and i am awaiting some parts for it to further experiment. I expect it to fly good. If it don't i can make another one. I probably will anyway.
That's what makes this hobby so much fun. Put our ideas into foam then go try them out. If they don't work as good as we hoped for, then try and try again.

I still think looks mighty fine, and have a notion you'll work the bugs out of it.