GWS Slow Stick Question??? - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

GWS Slow Stick Question???

Old 10-13-2005, 05:34 AM
rpalmer

Default GWS Slow Stick Body

Looking for a 10 mm square Alum. replacemnt for my bent up GWS Slow Stick. Where could I get one or two for replacement. We usually fly these with my flying buddy and we did a midair and I came out in poor shape. Chewed through the wing which was fixed but the Fuse. got all bent out of shape. Bought a new SS but want to fix old one.

Thanks Bob Palmer
Old 10-13-2005, 07:43 AM
soarr
Glider guider

Originally Posted by rpalmer View Post
Looking for a 10 mm square Alum. replacemnt for my bent up GWS Slow Stick. Where could I get one or two for replacement.
Bob,
Try AlleRC: http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=703

Mike
Old 10-14-2005, 06:21 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by soarr View Post
What a bargain @ $3.38 for that boom. Great other products there also @ great prices as well.

Thanks for the link.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:56 AM
Combat Drone
BMcduffy

Default Slow Stick on steroids

Like qban, I have a slow stick with a Himaxx 2025-4200 and 3s lipo. Not what the little guy was designed for but it sure is a hoot! Launches straight up with almost unlimited vertical. Makes grown men cry with laughter.

I still have a stock SS for my nephews to fly.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:16 AM
stroland

Whats the 300 motor that came with my s.s. like. Will it have enough power? the stock motor on my slow v was kind of under powered.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:25 AM
stroland

forgot to menchen battery a 750 7 cell nihi
Old 10-22-2005, 05:57 AM
Combat Drone
BMcduffy

That should be fine. I fly my stock SS on an 8 cell 9.6V 800mAh NI-MH. Has plenty of power and it's great fun.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:39 AM
stroland

thanks wish i still had the carbon fuse form the slow v they had one at my l. h.s. but it was too small mite try to make it work, sure would be lighter that way.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:52 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Combat Drone View Post
Like qban, I have a slow stick with a Himaxx 2025-4200 and 3s lipo. Not what the little guy was designed for but it sure is a hoot! Launches straight up with almost unlimited vertical. Makes grown men cry with laughter.

I still have a stock SS for my nephews to fly.
HE, HE, HE. I just had to try something different on my SS. Since I bought four of these ESSKAY 400XT motors from Hobby Lobby three weeks ago (on sale again @ $29.90 each 'till the 28th), I wanted to try one on my SS. They generate 19 oz of thrust using a three cell Li-Po pack and a 10X3.8SF propeller.

I got me an E-Flite's 'stick' mount (EFLM-1915), elongated its motor mounting holes a bit (they are elongated to begin with) and the 400XT went in like hand in glove. Added one of my G/P SS-12 B/L ESCs and the thing is even lighter than before (3/4 oz), yet it balances properly. Battery packs used are G/P 11.1V 640s and T/P 11.1V 900s Li-Pos.

Love the sound (actually, lack of sound is more like it) of this set up. All I hear is the buzzing of the prop. The sweet sounds of e-silence.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-esskay-003.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	2954   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-esskay-004.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	2955  

Last edited by qban_flyer; 10-22-2005 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Correction

Old 10-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Combat Drone
BMcduffy

qban, nice looking setup. You should call it your NSSS (not so slow stick)
Old 10-22-2005, 04:44 PM
flyranger
I Crash Things!!

Originally Posted by stroland View Post
Whats the 300 motor that came with my s.s. like. Will it have enough power? the stock motor on my slow v was kind of under powered.
Stroland, the 300 is sufficient power as long as there are little or no winds!! What I gained by going to brushless on my slowstick and adding ailerons was being able to fly in up to 8-10mph winds. Didn't feel like being grounded all the time. The motor is a e-flite Park 370 inrunner with an e-flite 6:1:1 gearbox swinging an e-flite 10x7 prop. Takeoff in three feet at half throttle. 20 minute flights on the cheapbatterypacks.com 1150 NIMH packs.

Name:	MVC-462F.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2967   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-464F.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2968   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-475F.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	2969  
Old 10-22-2005, 05:46 PM
stroland

Yes, I know what you meen.My slow v was, well slow. Flew great as long as there was no wind. The stock motor burnt up after 20 flites.Afriend sold me the stock brushed motor and gear box out of his 3d yak and that worked good. More power,and it never even got warm on a 7 cell 750 ni-mh. Was ment to have a 3 cell lipo. Never got to try that,I lost it to a old am radio glich. Its now in the top of a 80 ft. oak and it dont seem to be comeing down. some kid will have a nice toy some day.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:47 PM
stroland

would
Old 10-22-2005, 05:47 PM
stroland

ve to go brushless but its a littel out of
Old 10-22-2005, 05:49 PM
stroland

love to go brushless, but its a littel out of my price range right now. may be just a better motor for now
Old 10-22-2005, 05:49 PM
stroland

opps
Old 10-23-2005, 04:04 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Combat Drone View Post
qban, nice looking setup. You should call it your NSSS (not so slow stick)
You should see it flying. It takes off (more like leaps off) in five feet @ 1/3 throttle. I have to be careful with that throttle as it just may loose its wing in flight if pushed too hard. It even flies inverted in a weird sort of way!

I love to take off @ 1/3 throttle, so quiet, so powerful, so SS unlike, I take it way up then just let it float around. No longer does the wind bother its flight path, it now has the authority to head up wind.

Love that 400XT "el cheapo" outrunner! Now, if I could only get it to hover a la 3D like .

Old 10-23-2005, 04:08 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flyranger View Post
Stroland, the 300 is sufficient power as long as there are little or no winds!! What I gained by going to brushless on my slowstick and adding ailerons was being able to fly in up to 8-10mph winds. Didn't feel like being grounded all the time. The motor is a e-flite Park 370 inrunner with an e-flite 6:1:1 gearbox swinging an e-flite 10x7 prop. Takeoff in three feet at half throttle. 20 minute flights on the cheapbatterypacks.com 1150 NIMH packs.
Nice looking decorative touch there, flyranger. Love the graphics and aileron conversion.

Have you tried to 3D with it yet? I just may add ailerons to mine to see if I can manage to do so with it. Can anyone imagine a 3D Slow Stick at any field?

Last edited by qban_flyer; 10-23-2005 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Correction

Old 10-24-2005, 12:23 PM
flyranger
I Crash Things!!

Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
Nice looking decorative touch there, flyranger. Love the graphics and aileron conversion.

Have you tried to 3D with it yet? I just may add ailerons to mine to see if I can manage to do so with it. Can anyone imagine a 3D Slow Stick at any field?
No, won't do 3d (and I don't have the stick skills not to turn it back into a "kit" while trying). I have a 7amp max (with the heatsink) on this motor and with the 8.4v batt pack get about 50 good watts lifting a one pound plane (5 oz is battery). Just went to LiPo on my Lil' Poke so maybe a Lipo is in my slowstick's future. Seriously, with the huge undercambered wing (read that MAX LIFT), I don't see this being very aerobatic, no matter what I power it with. The ailerons added control of the plane in winds ( I can turn downwind in a gust without doing the "death spiral" now) but did not turn it into a pattern airplane. Didn't expect it to!!
Old 10-24-2005, 06:43 PM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by flyranger View Post
No, won't do 3d (and I don't have the stick skills not to turn it back into a "kit" while trying). I have a 7amp max (with the heatsink) on this motor and with the 8.4v batt pack get about 50 good watts lifting a one pound plane (5 oz is battery). Just went to LiPo on my Lil' Poke so maybe a Lipo is in my slowstick's future. Seriously, with the huge undercambered wing (read that MAX LIFT), I don't see this being very aerobatic, no matter what I power it with. The ailerons added control of the plane in winds ( I can turn downwind in a gust without doing the "death spiral" now) but did not turn it into a pattern airplane. Didn't expect it to!!
I'll get me a slope soarer version of the S/S and modify its wing to accept ailerons and eliminate the dihedral.

Mine weighs in at less than 11 ounces the way it is, so all I'll add up to it weight wise will be the servos and 2 six inch extensions (one dedicated channel per aileron servo).

I'll see what "it can do" once it is modified. If it does 3D (I have 19 oz, of thrust available from the motor) I'll re-name it the "It Can Do 3D Slow Stick" or the "ICD3DSS".

Old 10-30-2005, 07:18 PM
tallflyer
Robert V

Default My New 300 Slow Stick

I have to admit I have built and flown just about every GWS plane that there is and some a couple of time the GWS slow stick just really never did anything for me I thought it was just to dorky!

Well I built one a couple of weeks ago and now my whole mind set has changed I love my slow stick its great for those days when you want to just get out and fly around and relax.

Im thinking about converting mine over to take pictures I have seen some pretty cool thing that can be done.

Here are some pictures.

Name:	forweb1.gif
Views:	171
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	3218   Click image for larger version

Name:	forweb2.gif
Views:	179
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	3219   Click image for larger version

Name:	forweb3.gif
Views:	194
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	3220   Click image for larger version

Name:	forweb5.gif
Views:	161
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	3221   Click image for larger version

Name:	forweb8.gif
Views:	185
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	3222  

Old 10-30-2005, 08:55 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
I have to admit I have built and flown just about every GWS plane that there is and some a couple of time the GWS slow stick just really never did anything for me I thought it was just to dorky!

Well I built one a couple of weeks ago and now my whole mind set has changed I love my slow stick its great for those days when you want to just get out and fly around and relax.

Im thinking about converting mine over to take pictures I have seen some pretty cool thing that can be done.

Here are some pictures.
Have done that with mine since I replaced the stock motor with an outrunner brushless one on three cell Li-Po pack. (photos on post #34 above)

The model has changed its character competely. No is longer the boring, take off, land, and lazy all around flyer. Now it has authority, character and an attitude I never even dreamed it was capable of.

Carries a cheap digital camera aloft on a detachable payload platform as if it was nothing. Next step is going to be one of those onboard video systems to what it does.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:59 PM
kuzikood
gravity expert

i say gas it and go!!!!!!!!!!! no guts no glory and above all have some dang fun..heck i use a 30amp esc.....a 8cell nimh and a 14turn modifed 540 motor+gearbox swinging an 11x7 apc prop and i gaurentee itll hang with all you brushless/lipolly guys....till it gets windy...then youlle be packin it up whi im having fun in the sun lol...yea and did i mention its cheeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaapppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!! i know its over powered and heavy.....but so is a hemi cuda.......any questions!
-kuzi-
Old 11-10-2005, 11:40 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kuzikood View Post
i say gas it and go!!!!!!!!!!! no guts no glory and above all have some dang fun..heck i use a 30amp esc.....a 8cell nimh and a 14turn modifed 540 motor+gearbox swinging an 11x7 apc prop and i gaurentee itll hang with all you brushless/lipolly guys....till it gets windy...then youlle be packin it up whi im having fun in the sun lol...yea and did i mention its cheeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaapppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!! i know its over powered and heavy.....but so is a hemi cuda.......any questions!
-kuzi-
HEE, HEE, HEE!

I like your approach!!! :p :p :p

Old 11-10-2005, 11:45 PM
kuzikood
gravity expert

and you can get a 540+gearbox cheap maybe even free cuz any long time r/c pilot has dabled with electric years back and has some old outdated electric stuff layin around ..heck ive got a astroflightcobalt25 thats gear reduced.....hmmmmmmmmmmm now thats a big dern foamy back when it came out nobody used foam or light batteries or light radiogear now theres a project hehehehehehehe now just to figure out the right airframe for that monster

-kuzi-

Quick Reply: GWS Slow Stick Question???

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10749 seconds with 25 queries