General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

NOTAR system

Old 02-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Hasdrubal
White Belt

Default NOTAR system

have any R/C helis used the NOTAR system? how does it work scaled down, or is it even possible?

FYI=NOTAR(NO TAil Rotor) is the torque control mechanism used in some newer helos. it has no tail rotor, but rather a round "helmet" looking thing on the end of the tail boom. Shoots high velocity air out of adjustable vanes to counteract torque. Awesome design, becoming more and more popular in helos.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:32 PM
jperch

I have never seen a NOTAR system used in an RC heli. If you find one, please post it here. It would be more than interesting.

If I understand correctly, the only full scale system is based on a jet engine, correct. Perhaps it would take a turbine powered heli to make one work. How else would you get air that is high enough in velocity? Perhaps an EDF arrangement? That would cost not only in $ but also in power/weight/etc.

Interesting idea though.

Joe
Old 03-01-2007, 05:27 AM
Hasdrubal
White Belt

your right jperch, It sure would be more than interesting!

It does not use a jet, just the turbine part. A variable pitch fan is driven by the main motor through a transmission linkage. The entire tailboom is in effect the duct for this fan, so it seems possible in R/C form, albeit difficult. Far less so then a jet turbine setup, and it could be done with standard R/C equipment.

The air shooting out the the end provides tourque reaction, but in the full-size helos the "Coanda" effect is used to provide extra lift, that is why the boom assembly is a rather wide tube. I understand the aerodynamics(somewhat) of this effect, but it seems like for a R/C heli simply shooting air out at the tip would be sufficient.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Hasdrubal
White Belt

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/r...es/MayDay2006/

IT DOES EXIST!

A company out of canada that produces the MD 500 scale gas-powered heli kit also offers a NOTAR conversion kit. even the company's website says that it is a b*tch to install and setup right, although in nicer terms. Just the notar conversion kit will set you back a grand.