Favorite GWS plane - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Favorite GWS plane

Old 10-17-2005, 05:50 AM
nova801428

Default Favorite GWS plane

So far I have owned 7 gws planes and my favorite is the Slowstick and next it would be the Formosa & these are the planes I've owned: 2 Slow sticks, Gws zero, gws formosa, gws tigermoth, gws bn2 islander edf version,gws j3 cub, Wattage maddog, and an Edge rc Overlord that is coming in the mail. I am pretty new to r/c planes, so far I've been flying 5 years. so far none of my planes currently fly because I don't have enough radio equipment, money, and props to fly . Also it is too windy and rainy in Oregon to fly. oops! I have a Snark 20t glow trainer plane with 4 futaba servos, receiver, battery, and an O.S 15 engine, but I have not flown it yet because I am scared of crashing. Also I wanted to know your favorite GWS plane and what upgrade did you do to it?
Old 10-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

My favorite GWS plane would have to be the Estarter. I usually cut the wing in half and sand out the dihedral. Then epoxy the halves back together. I cut off the horner tips, (better roll and inverted flight.) I use balsa ailerons slightly larger than the stock ones. I use Dubro Hinge Tape to attach the ailerons. I mount the battery through the top of the fuse, and I use dowels and rubber bands to secure the wing. I don't use the struts either. With these mods this planes flys like a dream. It can fly sporty, slow, fast, crazy fast roll rate, and very steady flight. Not bad for 29.00. I like the Spitfire as well.

Steve
Old 10-17-2005, 02:06 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up Slow Stick & Tiger Moth

Mine are the Slow Stick and the original Tiger Moth. I can fly both in the most confined spaces with no problems whatsoever and are more fun than a barrell full of monkeys.

The Slow Stick as pictured below on the morning of its maiden flight. The Tiger is an old pro with almost 400 flights under its belt. I also have the PT-17, the Funny Park and the BN-2, though I find myself flying the Slow Stick and Tiger Moth more so than the others.

The Zero is a very nice flyer though it is way underpowered in stock version.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-004.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	2764   Click image for larger version

Name:	tm-rr.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2766  

Last edited by qban_flyer; 10-17-2005 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Photo inclusion

Old 10-17-2005, 03:27 PM
U2Steve
Ann Can Fly, and So Can I

I don't fly my Tiger Moth (original IPS version) much anymore, but it's still a sentimental favorite. Lately, my GWS Corsair has become a favorite, since upgrading to an Astro 010 in a planetary box on 3S lipos.

Steve
Old 10-17-2005, 05:19 PM
FinnFlyer
Got Sisu?

Thumbs up

My favorite would be the Cargotrans quad. It flies very well stock, I occasionally fly inverted. I also have the Corsair, the Me-109, the midget mustang, and the A-10 with EDF-75's on it. The 109 would be a close second.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:18 PM
jonnyjetprop

I have only owned a 109 and an A-10. Love them both.

John
Old 10-17-2005, 07:15 PM
turnwaldw

The Estarter was my first plane I flown successfly and it was great and got me hooked into flying again its just a fun plane to fly.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:21 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Formosa, for sure. Can't wait for the larger one.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Favorite GWS plane

My favorite is the "Zero" with the following mods. (1) Raise wing trailing edge 1/8" to reduce incidence (cut bolt mount "up" 1/8" and re-shape wing/fuse fillets to fit). (2) Adjust aileron torque rods for 2:1 differential-twice as much "up" as "down" (Thanks, Gord) and (3) carve out battery compartment all the way to front so pack will go forward. With 2025-4200 BL Himaxx, middle gearing (5.56:1, I think), 9 X 6 APC "Slo" prop and 2100 3C Thunder Power Lipos it balances on the bamboo doubler and the plane ROCKS!! Electronics are HS 81-ailerons, HS 55-elevator, FMA M5 RX, Castle Creations 25A ESC, Multiplex "Royal Evo" 9 Channel TX. Weight with 2100 3C, 16.3 oz.
Ron
Old 10-17-2005, 07:41 PM
roccobro
Happy to be here

I'm stuck in the EDF's with the A-10 and B-2. They both need alot of love (and lipos) to fly nicely. Got a SS the other day for my noob brothers and ended up flying it ALOT more than any other of my models. So easy to use and it can be modded too. Had tp buy some more SS's as nobody wants to share now!

Justin
Old 10-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Tailspin Ken

Gee, not an easy question. I own 4 GWS planes and like them all. Tiger Moth, Beaver, J3 CubF, and SS. The TM and J3 are very simiar in the way they fly. I guess the TM and the Beaver would be the favorites. I have not owned any of their warbirds yet.

Ken
Old 10-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Duster52

I still fly my Slow Stick (hop up with brushless) more than any of my other planes. It has to be my favorite!
Old 10-17-2005, 07:59 PM
roccobro
Happy to be here

Oh yeah, and the F4U is an easy flier. Even with the stock 400 motor and NiMh's. This would be my favorite warbird. Can't have just one favorite right? Picked up a pair of those for my bro's for when they are "done" with their SS's

Justin
Old 10-17-2005, 08:10 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by U2Steve View Post
I don't fly my Tiger Moth (original IPS version) much anymore, but it's still a sentimental favorite. Lately, my GWS Corsair has become a favorite, since upgrading to an Astro 010 in a planetary box on 3S lipos.

Steve
Both the Corsair and the Zero are great flyers once you replace their power plants. Stock motors and props. make them fly on the verge of a stall. Not a good thing with a low winger.

I've got close to 400 flights on my T/M. Have replaced its stock motor three times so far, but still have two spares waiting for when the current one to goes south on me.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:48 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Zero and TM 400. Zero flies like a little pattern plane. Demolished my Tiger Moth, or is that called an incident Building another for better aerobatics.Shortening the wing, four ailerons, bigger elevators, etc. T.M. is a great all round plane, loaf around with it or push th sh## out of it. Flies well in both regimes. I'll let you know how it works after the mods.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:54 PM
timocharis
Dave North

Pico Stick. I clipped the wings and dressed it up a bit.

Dave North
Old 10-17-2005, 11:29 PM
N827TM

My Corsair is awesome. It flies on rails, however it is pitch sensitive. My setup is a Himaxx 2025-4200 C gear drive and 10X7 APC prop. TP 3 cell 2100. The bird is fast, and almost unlimited vertical. Aileron rolls are scale.

Name:	Corsair 1.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	2767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair 2.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	2768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair 3.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	2769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair 4.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2770  
Old 10-18-2005, 02:39 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

My favorite GWS planes are the Formosa and Slow Stick. My Brushless Slow Stick gets flown more then any other plane I own.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:33 AM
qban_flyer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by N827TM View Post
It flies on rails, however it is pitch sensitive.
Funny you should mention pitch sensitivity. Their Zero is rather touchy that way too and CG placement is not a factor on that quirk either.

Old 10-23-2005, 05:00 PM
E-Challenged

Default One and Only Zero

So far my favorite and only GWS plane is the Zero. Mine is painted and partially glassed weighs 18.5 oz and flies a lot like my Switchback 3D on the same geared MiniAC1215/16, 9x6 orange prop and Polyquest 1100 3S pack shoved through the firewall to the front of cowl. Lowered the leading edge and raised trailing edge, added carbon fiber rods to wing and stab. Slightly heavier landing gear wire and 1 3/4 scale foam wheels. ROG's in 15 feet, very fast and aerobatic but can fly slow scale like and stably in a small space, lands easy without damage. Not the easiest GWS to set up properly but as set up flies like a dream.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Twmaster

My favorite until very recently was my Pico Stik F (as seen in my avatar). However after two consecutive wing failures I am beginning to think otherwise about GWS models.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

My favorite so far is the Pico Tigermoth.
I fly in my back yard surronded by tall pine trees, not much area to manuver. The PM handles and gets up and down very nicely and is nice to look at up above the trees, however it does get snagged by a tenacious tree every now and then. I keep some long poles that can be put together quickly just in case.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:01 PM
KenS
All Thumbs

Never owned a GWS kit, I love the looks of their warbirds, but I crash way to much for those
Old 10-24-2005, 06:27 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Crashalott View Post
My favorite so far is the Pico Tigermoth.
I fly in my back yard surronded by tall pine trees, not much area to manuver. The PM handles and gets up and down very nicely and is nice to look at up above the trees, however it does get snagged by a tenacious tree every now and then. I keep some long poles that can be put together quickly just in case.
The T/M is rather nice. I fly mine in an outdoor basketball court that is also surrounded by very tall maple trees.

When it is windy elsewhere I go there and the trees prevent the wind from affecting my flying.

It is nice to have friendly trees around us (most of the time).

Old 10-24-2005, 10:38 PM
sikorsky

I've owned a GWS-Beaver. I did it semiscale to an existing canadian plane. After some very realistic slow flights, I changed the model with a friend. Now the Beaver will be converted to floats, and brushless motor maybe.
This plane is great for beginners and I love it. But at the moment I am dreaming of a waterplane...

Name:	GWS-Beaver_by_EBB-Germany.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	3043  

Quick Reply: Favorite GWS plane

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15896 seconds with 22 queries