safety power switch - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

safety power switch

Old 10-04-2005, 09:25 AM
pl365322
Flying frog

Exclamation safety power switch

Hi guys.
Does anyone have any idea how to insert a safety switch to avoid the motor to start whenever?:o
Thanks.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:49 PM
flyranger
I Crash Things!!

Not needed with Castle Creations ESCs. Requires 4 seconds of minimum throttle before arming.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:03 PM
pl365322
Flying frog

thanks Flyranger. I use a BMI Spitz combo kit (motor + ESC). Seen that I already damage my canopy by the prop ,when open to change battery or move them slightly to move CG, I would like to have such a switch as some ESC have.I am working on brushless outrunner / lipo 3S2P.Is that really impossible.
I have a small electric helicopter who have such a push button switch.
Thanks.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

If the ESC was not designed with an arming switch, or a power switch for the receiver and servos, you can't install one. There is no place to connect it on the circuit board.

Most ESC nowadays come with a software arming sequence, meaning you have to meet some requirements with the throttle stick position before the ESC will arm.

The only way to completely eliminate the possibility of accidental motor startup is to disconnect the main battery from the ESC. Any time that battery is connected, there is the possibility that the motor could accidentally start up.

If you must work on the airplane with the battery connected, protect the transmitter so the throttle stick can't be accidentally moved. Place the transmitter somewhere where you are 100% sure it can't be bumped. Do not work within the prop's reach. Do not work in front of the plane. Remove the propeller if you will be working around the armed motor for long periods of time.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:43 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

The only way to completely eliminate the possibility of accidental motor startup is to disconnect the main battery from the ESC. Any time that battery is connected, there is the possibility that the motor could accidentally start up.
Yep what Matt said. Switch is just a crutch, anytime the battery is connected it should be considered ready to start.

Mike
Old 10-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Duster52

Originally Posted by rcers
Yep what Matt said. Switch is just a crutch, anytime the battery is connected it should be considered ready to start.

Mike
I don't consider a switch as a crutch. It bugs me that there is not a switch on most of these ESC's. I hate carrying my plane to where I am going to take off from and then having to lay my tx down, stand on my head, using both hands to plug in the battery so I can fly! I would rather have everything setup, ready to go, and then set the plane down and flip a switch and take off. The only one I can do that with is my Jeti 18. It is so much more convient.

If I power everything up, hot, before I go out onto the field, I am wasting tx and plane battery power. Also, many times, with the thing powered up and the tx on, when I am holding the tx and pick up the plane, the motor glitches on and off and the servos go nuts!

All I ask for is a switch. There should be a way to do this if I had the schematic that would show a circuit I could break and add a small switch.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:13 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

If I power everything up, hot, before I go out onto the field, I am wasting tx and plane battery power. Also, many times, with the thing powered up and the tx on, when I am holding the tx and pick up the plane, the motor glitches on and off and the servos go nuts!
You have some serious issues if you do this. First you never hook everything up unless you are ready to fly, at the field and everything is "safe".

Here is the correct proceedure. Drive to field with everything off and batteries disconnected from everything. Assemble planes, get pin on frequency tag (controlled fields obviously), turn TX on, connect airborne battery pack, turn on switch, check RX controls for proper suface movement (to verify proper controls and model is selected), check motor power up, fly. Land turn switch off, disconnect airborne battery, then TX off.

That is the only safe way. If you have glitches when you touch the plane, you have serious issues you must resolve.

Mike
Old 10-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Duster52

Hey, you don't have to tell me how to setup at the field. I know what I am doing. I said that I would prefer to be able to put the battery in the plane, hook it up, close the hatch, walk out to the take off point and flip a switch. That is what I would prefer. Not have to take the plane out to the take off point, put the battery in, hook it up, put the hatch back on and then take off. Very simple concept. I do NOT have everything on while carrying it to the field. I simply said what would happen if I tried to do it that way. No, I don't have serious issues with the plane because it glitches when I am holding the tx with it on and my hand goes around the antenna and esc. It is a single conversion rx and I have seen it happen many of times on many planes. Thankyou.

The way I do it with the Jeti 18 works just fine. I have many hours on these electrics and it's all that I fly. You can't taxi these out to the take off point, you have to carry them out there. I was never talking about carrying them in a vehicle hooked up. I hate standing out on the field hooking everything up.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:00 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Sticks - let me just ask one question, do you plug the battery in to your ESC before you turn on the TX?

We had a guy that used to do that, and used the switch (Jeti esc's). One time, one day the plane with airborne battery attached and TX off went to full throttle. Your first reaction is to catch the plane, would you like to guess how many surgeries he got?

We have no idea how it happened. But a full throttle 40 amp system is nothing to mess with, 10amps for that matter isn't.

By the way, when flying at the club field, I always hook everything up under the shed, and then it is treated as live. I walk to the taxi area expecting or acting like the prop could start at any time. I too don't like to do that on the runway...but the second I land, I switch off, and disconnect the battery. Switch alone is not enough.

Didn't mean to upset you, but I was confused by your post.

Mike
Old 10-07-2005, 04:43 PM
falingtrea

Don't most good ESCs have some sort of loss of signal shutdown mode? So a power switch between the BEC or RX batt and the RX should be a good safeguard, right? The only problem with putting a switch on the Main Battery is finding one with a low resistance. When pulling 30+ amps every milliohm counts.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Duster52

No problem

No, I turn the tx on first, as always. Then I plug in the battery. I close everything up, take it to the field, turn the switch on and take off. This is with the Jeti 18.

Believe me, I know about motors coming on. I have posted considerable material on RCU about my stupidity in working on my cub, early in the morning, in a tight space on the dinning room table. I was testing the servos, making adjustments. I had run up the motor a couple times, which armed the throttle. Since there was no switch for me to turn off the rx (remember, I said stupidity in working in close space, I knew better) I reached for the deans connectors to pull them apart, which were tight. My hand jerked sideways, hitting the throttle wide open. This is an MPJet AC 26/45-20 geared with a TP 11.1v 2100mAh battery and a Master Airscrew 1170 prop. I instantly grabbed the plane to keep from destroying everything and it got the back of my hand twice! Fillet time, literally! Hitting a tiny, superficial artery and putting blood all over the plane and house!

I posted all of this as a warning to those who think "little electrics" are not dangerous.

I am not blaming this on not having a switch (the blame is all mine), but, I wish I had had one. If you accidentally turn the tx off on this one, the motor WILL start.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hand and stitches 001.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	2319   Click image for larger version

Name:	hand and stitches 004.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	2320  
Old 10-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Duster52

Originally Posted by falingtrea
Don't most good ESCs have some sort of loss of signal shutdown mode? So a power switch between the BEC or RX batt and the RX should be a good safeguard, right? The only problem with putting a switch on the Main Battery is finding one with a low resistance. When pulling 30+ amps every milliohm counts.
The problem there is the weight of a switch that could handle the amps. I didn't want that. Just be able to disable the esc on a low current circuit. Like some do. Mine doesn't have that loss of signal feature. Wish they could to save the LiPo when in a tree! Another reason for buying quality esc's.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:00 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Don't most good ESCs have some sort of loss of signal shutdown mode? So a power switch between the BEC or RX batt and the RX should be a good safeguard, right?
Yes and Yes. Switches are great, I prefer them, but it is a loaded gun on or off. We are all on the same page here!

Mike
Old 10-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Duster52

Originally Posted by rcers
Yes and Yes. Switches are great, I prefer them, but it is a loaded gun on or off. We are all on the same page here!

Mike
I know when it is on or off. If the servos are setting still, it's off. When I turn it on, the control surfaces jump to attention.

If anyone is interested, log onto RCU where I am "agcatsbest" and go to my profile. I have the whole sad story in my blogs there.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:58 PM
ndfrank

I have just read all the articles and nobody used a safety switch. I WANT/NEED a switch to disconnect the battery because I have to DISASSEMBLY the airplane to disconnect the battery. Does ANYONE know of a switch capable of handling 28 volts DC and 35-40 amps I can safetly use.

Thanks,

I Love Flying Electic Powered Airplanes
Old 10-08-2005, 02:29 PM
hoppy
Watts up Doc?

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...92&postcount=9
Old 10-08-2005, 06:55 PM
simibill
General Factotum

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p18700112?sourceid=3
Old 10-08-2005, 09:40 PM
ndfrank

Thanks for the info. Will check it out.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:45 AM
Duster52

Originally Posted by ndfrank
I have just read all the articles and nobody used a safety switch. I WANT/NEED a switch to disconnect the battery because I have to DISASSEMBLY the airplane to disconnect the battery. Does ANYONE know of a switch capable of handling 28 volts DC and 35-40 amps I can safetly use.

Thanks,

I Love Flying Electic Powered Airplanes
http://www.coolesc.com/prod_a35.php?CC=4348accfbafc6

Here is a new company with low priced ESC's that HAVE A SAFETY, COMPLETE SHUTOFF, switch built in!

I am going to order one when they are in stock to try it out.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:59 PM
simibill
General Factotum

Here's one way to insure no power is on until you want it on.

1. Cut the negative power lead on your pack.
2. Install two Powerpole connectors sized according to your packs amperage.
3. Make two leads with Powerpole connectors at each end - length to suit.
4. Connect one end of each lead to battery pack.
5. Make opening in fuse to hold other end connector pair & epoxy in place.
6. Make circuit completion jumper using two Powerpole connectors.

You can now connect your battery pack to the ESC - secure the battery, close the hatch,etc and proceed to the takeoff position. Plug in the circuit completion jumper, check for proper motor and servo operation & go fly. When finished just remove the circuit completion jumper to safe the power.

Powerpole connectors, wire, tools available from West Mountain Radio,
http://www.westmountainradio.com
Old 10-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Duster52

That is what I do now. With my stryker, I have the battery deans connector and the esc deans connector sticking up out of the hatch thru an opening. I plug them together when I am ready to take off. It is a little not aerodynamic. On my cub, I have them sticking out of the side window and do the same thing. Just looks messy.

Those new esc's I posted about have a shutoff switch that complete disables the esc for safety. I hope they are good, I want them.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:18 PM
simibill
General Factotum

The last time I checked with cool ESC they indicated early 2006 for availability of their higher power ESC's.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:30 PM
Duster52

Their website is saying Fall 2005.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:13 PM
KenS
All Thumbs

Well I ordered a CoolRunnings 12a so I will let ya know in a week how it does
The only thing I will miss, is the programing ease of the CC software...I hate having to wait for beeps etc...
Old 10-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Bob_CO

If you want a switch, go with the Cool ESC http://www.coolesc.com/

Quick Reply: safety power switch

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10429 seconds with 14 queries