Aileron Trainer - Really? - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Aileron Trainer - Really?

Old 01-29-2020, 12:00 PM
Jools

Well there are all sorts of 'straw men' being demolished here! Anyway...
As I stated, rudder movement causes a yaw, if dihederal is present, the aircraft will bank, whereupon up elevator is initiated to cause the aircraft to change direction (turn).
And it goes without saying that if the aircraft is banked elevator MUST be used, as lift will be reduced and the nose will drop. But the subject really is not about all that. The bank doesn't "create the turn" The bank creates the condition where the elevator can then be used to make the turn. It's pretty simple stuff really.
The original question was about whether ailerons were better for a trainer or not. I'm just emphasising that, all else being equal, of course a trainer should have ailerons!
I too have flown 1:1 and am quite aware of co-ordinating aileron with rudder
But really we're getting way off-topic now!
Old 01-29-2020, 12:15 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I think the biggest difference for a complete newcomer to a trainer is whether the model will self right.

They do not have the ability to correct the bank or aspect of the craft once the turn or manoeuvre is completed ... they either don't or they over-correct in panic.

Dihedral has two aspects .. one to create bank from the action of rudder yawing the model and second putting the model back as self righted when rudder is released.

Some say aileron trainers lose this ability .. not if like the Starlight - they are built as 3ch but add 4ch to the mix. Best of both worlds then.

As to the mechanics of how yaw / banking / correction occurs ? Is it really that important to the newcomer who's barely able to speak while trying to fly ??
Old 01-29-2020, 12:32 PM
Jools

"Some say aileron trainers lose this ability" That's under the assumption that the aileron model does not have dihederal ! (Who said that?) Best of both worlds for a learner is ailerons AND dihederal (for a measure of self-correction).
And (Another 'straw man'), who's suggesting we discuss the finer points of aerodynamics with the student whilst he's flying? Certainly not me. But I tell you what, if the learner understands how and why all this stuff works, in the air, they're MUCH better equipped to fly.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:21 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Jools
Wow!
I will let the content of your reply speak for itself.