NX-3 gyro calibration - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

NX-3 gyro calibration

Old 12-27-2019, 11:05 PM
sportflyer

Default NX-3 gyro calibration

This is my first NX-3 Gyro so the set up instructions is a bit confusing regarding learning the center positions:

1) On first time powering up the gyro , First calibration is to switch between Rate and HH 2 times within 1 second .But it does not indicate the interval to do this calibration after first power up.
2) More confusing setup step 6 indicates to switch between Rate and HH 3 times within 1 sec to relearn the center positions after setting gains pots etc. I assume this means without re powering up ?

Does this mean that after first flights and adjusting the trims , I need to do the 3X stitching to relearn the trim positions? Do I have to do this everytime before I fly the plane ?

Can someone who has used this Gyro please help clarify the gyro calibration methods

Old 12-28-2019, 08:32 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I would suggest that a Youtube search may give better answer ?

Problem is that there are so many gyros out there now - unless its a high end unit - most people cannot answer. Its also worth looking on RC Groups and other forums - quite often someone already has started a thread ... but PLEASE don't leave Wattflyer !!
Old 12-28-2019, 08:33 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-wing-Aircraft

That may help
Old 12-28-2019, 04:34 PM
sportflyer

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Yes I read that topic but it still does not answer my first question : When after power up do I do the center point calibration . Immediately , anytime after power up? Normally there is a window of time after power up to do it.
1 sec after connecting LIPO is not doable. So my interpretation is that the 1 sec refers to the actual switching time between Rate and HH ie do it very quickly!

The OP is not quite correct in stating that the gyro mode switch cannot be programmed. In my TX I can program the 3 positionn switch by setting the servo position . so I set it to be p1 =0 , p2= -100 , p3= +100 . Now I get OFF, Rate , HH . I guess it depends on the the TX . If you can program a curve then it can be done , otherwise no.

Does any one know who the manufacturer of this NX-3 gyro is? Maybe they can clarify their instructions.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:40 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
Yes I read that topic but it still does not answer my first question : When after power up do I do the center point calibration . Immediately , anytime after power up? Normally there is a window of time after power up to do it.
You should only need do it once - and its not centre point - its to set the neutral attitude of the model. It should when first installed be set with model level in all attitudes ... then that's it. Everytime after that you power up - it should use that setting. You only need do it again if you change something.

1 sec after connecting LIPO is not doable. So my interpretation is that the 1 sec refers to the actual switching time between Rate and HH ie do it very quickly!
No - its that when powered up - if you want to reset calibration - you quickly flick the switch 2x back and forth basically in 1 sec. That puts its into calibration mode ... once finished - one or more servos will move to show completed.

The OP is not quite correct in stating that the gyro mode switch cannot be programmed. In my TX I can program the 3 positionn switch by setting the servo position . so I set it to be p1 =0 , p2= -100 , p3= +100 . Now I get OFF, Rate , HH . I guess it depends on the the TX . If you can program a curve then it can be done , otherwise no.
In a programmable radio - setting each line for each position of switch with a number as you say - will determine what mode. Its just that he didn't do that. He may not be able to .. some cheap radios are set on the position switch..... luckily a thing of the past.

Does any one know who the manufacturer of this NX-3 gyro is? Maybe they can clarify their instructions.
No idea
Old 12-28-2019, 11:22 PM
sportflyer

After some experimentation I found the following:

To set initial attitude , Turn on TX with mode switch in Rate position. Connect the Lipo and within a few seconds flip the mode switch from rate to HH 2X (rate/HH/rate/HH /rate) quickly . wait a few until servo twitches . Calib done.
I assume that after any trim adjustments during flight , then the mode switch has to be flipped 3X ( just for remembering the trim settings , not attitude setup) and there is no need to level the plane. This is a bit similar to the Eagle tree guardian Gyro where there are 2 calibrations, one for attitude setting , the other for trim adjustments.