Prop won't turn - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Prop won't turn

Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 AM
skjohn98

Default Prop won't turn

A newbie here and very frustrated. I received a sportsman + for my birthday last month. I am having a rough start in the hobby, I have contacted 2 clubs to try and get together with their "instructors" but one club doesn't have a flyable trainer. The other club the trainers never emailed back.
My problem is I can't get the prop to spin.
When I got the plane I upgraded the controller to Spektrum DX6, I had trouble getting it to bind and took it back to where it was purchased, the guy there had it bind right away. Being it was Friday evening I didn't try it till the next day and damn I can't get the prop to turn.
Everything thing else seems to work.
I just can't seem to get the hang of the controller
Can anyone help me I sure woul love to get the plane off the ground
TIA
John
Old 10-22-2017, 03:22 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Hi skjohn.......

So you're new to aerial RC......?

If this is the craft you have....:

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=HBZ8400

It's a good beginning choice.

However, the "controller" you upgraded to is the Transmitter DX6 (TX), not the actual controller (RX) receiver.

There is not only a learning curve related to flying the craft, but also one that is related to the TX.........one without the other will cause you frustrations (like you are having).

You have not mentioned whether or not you have been able
(yourself) to successfully "bind" the RX to the TX........when you say everything else works, what does that mean....?

Since the prop is not turning, have you successfully worked through the factory included RX/ESC/SAFE calibration instructions.......and still no prop action....?

Are both the craft battery and TX batteries fully charged and ready to go.....?

As you are discovering, nothing related to RC is as simple as advertised for the true beginner............spending time with the local hobby shop guys walking you through the start-up process is the best choice if club help is not available.

Suggest you spend a lot of time reading the TX manual and visiting the Spekrtum DX6 web-site...... familiarizing yourself with the programming aspects of such ....FIRST.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPM6700-Manual_EN.pdf

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...0#prod_manuals

Then come back here with more specific step-by-step issues to discuss if the prop still does not spin.......

Looking forward to your advancement and success......!
Old 10-22-2017, 07:58 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Most speed controls have a safety feature disabling the throttle if it isn't 100% off.

First thing first, don't mess with it with the prop on. Do not stick your hands near the front of the plane while a battery is plugged in. Learned that the hard way.

Couple quick ideas once the prop is off, move throttle all the way up then back down. Some esc require this and reset the calibration each time the battery is applied. Second, try turning the throttle trim all the way down. If its still on even 1%, sometimes this disables the throttle Third, try. Reversing the throttle channel. Just in case it springs to life, make sure the prop is off before even attempting this.

When you plug in the battery, you should get a series of beeps. Usually at least three in a row to signify 3 cells. If it does not do this, or constantly beeps then it is either not bound, or the throttle channel is set too high/reversed.

Some people just like to Google things instead of actually helping. Come back and let us know how you end up.

I would also recommend a flight simulator before trying to fly without an instructor. Don't wanna lose/crash your first plane.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:09 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by skjohn98 View Post
... to try and get together with their "instructors" but one club doesn't have a flyable trainer. The other club the trainers never emailed back. ...
Clubs and e-mail, sigh. Better visit the club on a sunday, or call them.

... My problem is I can't get the prop to spin. ...
Connect a servo to your throttle channel. Connect ESC to (any) other channel to keep BEC power. Move throttle stick, servo should move too. No move could mean no signal or throttle setup in Tx not ok.

Safety: remove prop when seting up power system.

A newbie here and very frustrated. ...
Some well-structured reading and handy e-tools for rainy/windy days. Will save you, and us , a lot of questions. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions
Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

And please, please, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter. It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup.

Prettig weekend Ron
Old 10-23-2017, 03:32 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

When I got the plane I upgraded the controller to Spektrum DX6... I can't get the prop to spin.
1. With your DX turned on and a valid profile like default Acro, CLICK the Roller Bar, SELECT Servo Setup or Monitor. Operate sticks and check Throttle is working properly on display.

2. If you can see THROTTLE working on DX6. problem is in the Plane Receiver.

3. If Throttle does not work, OPERATE Switch H, and repeat step one.

Me thinks Throttle Cut is operational. Default Switch on a DX6 is "H". If H does not fix it, try all switches. I were to bet, I would play H.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:26 AM
F22trainer

Disarm switch?
Old 10-30-2017, 01:36 AM
skjohn98

Thanks to everyone that responded, I went back to the shop and talked to one of the guys there and he walked me through everything and I didn't have it programmed right, Being an old fart means I have to read ALL of the manual
Well I got it out today and just tried to get it off the ground good news is it left the ground bad news it came back down. I have a lot of left turn while taxiing which I need to make an adjustment. To the front wheel when I get the new one
You guys sure make it look easier then it is
John
Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Good to hear something positive.....glad the hobby shop guys helped you out (most, those still in business, generally have guys who will take the time hoping you'll return the favor)...!

Looking forward to your first successful flight posts........
Old 10-30-2017, 09:51 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks to everyone that responded, I went back to the shop and talked to one of the guys there and he walked me through everything and I didn't have it programmed right, Being an old fart means I have to read ALL of the manual
Well I got it out today and just tried to get it off the ground good news is it left the ground bad news it came back down. I have a lot of left turn while taxiing which I need to make an adjustment. To the front wheel when I get the new one
You guys sure make it look easier then it is
John
Hi John If your just starting out with RC aircraft, I would strongly suggest that you buy a Crasher/aircraft to learn with first, a foam powered glider is a great way to learn this hobby, then you can fly other planes, you need a foam plane that will fly slow to give you time to think at first and that is crash resistance, That can be repaired with some ca or 5 min epoxy then your off flying again.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/axn-floa...127mm-pnf.html

Old 10-30-2017, 10:00 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

skijohn also take off into the wind and land into the wind.

keep the plane close to you, dont let it get to far away or you will loose orientation of the plane.

keep the plane high, thats your best insurance.
dont let the plane get behind you.

dont fly the plane with the sun in your face.

also a flight simulator is a great way to learn eye hand coordination and will save a lot of crashes.

you will crash a lot at first, dont get discouraged, we all had to pay our dues, your first plane will be your crasher plane, there is no way around it. then you will crash a lot less later there are only 2 types of rc planes, those that have crashed and those that will crash
Old 11-03-2017, 02:57 AM
skjohn98

The new front gear has been ordered I hope it's here before the weekend but I doubt it will be. Then to get the taxi right and get the darn thing off the ground. The scary part is to decide once it's up to decide to go for it and get some altitude.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:40 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

If it's the Sportsman S+ and you have it set in 'beginner mode' then it should basically fly itself. You must make sure that all the controls are responding correctly to tranmitter inputs and are accurately centred and once you have done that it 'should' be a matter of just opening the throttle and the plane will pretty much fly itself.

Having said that for the first flight it would be much better to have an experienced flyer give it a check flight and get it properly trimmed out.