Does anyone else keep a logbook? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Does anyone else keep a logbook?

Old 07-02-2017, 04:44 AM
Griff Murphey

Default Does anyone else keep a logbook?

I do. I guess it started out when I as a beginner whined to Tower about a Nieuport that almost burned up, and the guy on the phone asked how many flights I had on it. I record them on 3x5 cards; the 11 lines allow 11 days flying for that particular plane. Eventually I wind up with stacks of cards, numbered, held in order by binder clips. Gives me an idea of how I am doing or not doing as the case may be, and am I getting my "money's worth" out of my planes, about half of which are kit built plus one scratch in the 4 years I have been doing this.

I would kind of like a log BOOK rather than stacks of index cards, I might check out the pilots' shop at our general aviation airport. Has anyone ever printed one for modelers?
Old 07-02-2017, 04:57 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

I do, I keep two. One for planes and one for batteries. I find the one for airplanes useful for trimming out and tweaking. Batteries I use to log Internal Resistance and capacity.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:07 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

At home, I kept a Windows Excel spread sheet up-dated after every heli flight.........never bothered with my fixed wing craft since they were a lot less trouble to maintain.

For work, we are required to keep spread sheets on all of or UAV equipment/permits.........partly for accounting purposes, partly for maintenance and life cycle data. Our insurance carrier also requires such data, they prefer spread sheets for expedient data transfer..........updating such is one of my responsibilities.

Spread sheets are great tools for tracking damn near anything...even have one set-up for all of my fire arms and vehicles.......If you're on the computer as much as I am, everything is at one's finger tips instantly.......ready to print if needed......no messing around with log books or index cards.......
Old 07-02-2017, 12:20 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Tried it a few times ... even tried via Excel .... never stayed at it ...

Nigel
Old 07-02-2017, 11:46 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

No point for me. Too lazy to keep it updated.
Only record I keep is Amps and watts written inside the plane with a biro. (just in case someone asks)
Old 07-03-2017, 12:02 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Yep. I tried at first then let it fall by the wayside. A friend of mine puts stickers on his batteries and adds a hash mark for every charge. I tried that too. It didn't last.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:14 AM
TTF
PHD in Crashology!

Only for dives and work!
Old 07-04-2017, 10:41 PM
stemo99

I keep a build log book. It lists every plane, when purchased, finished build date, maiden date and remarks about maiden. It lists all electronics brand size etc. I log the weight with the battery I'll be using, watts and amps with various props. Unfortunately, some have a decommissioned date and the reason why.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:19 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
I do. I guess it started out when I as a beginner whined to Tower about a Nieuport that almost burned up, and the guy on the phone asked how many flights I had on it. I record them on 3x5 cards; the 11 lines allow 11 days flying for that particular plane. Eventually I wind up with stacks of cards, numbered, held in order by binder clips. Gives me an idea of how I am doing or not doing as the case may be, and am I getting my "money's worth" out of my planes, about half of which are kit built plus one scratch in the 4 years I have been doing this.

I would kind of like a log BOOK rather than stacks of index cards, I might check out the pilots' shop at our general aviation airport. Has anyone ever printed one for modelers?
For me, I designed the "Voltsagger" project in RCGroups a year or two ago. This unit monitors the receiver voltage, and as an added feature, records the number of flights on the model

Every one of my larger models has one installed.

VoltSagger
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2494374
Old 07-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Leadchucker
Curmudgeon

No. 45 years in powerhouses logging readings every hour or two hours I'm not logging jack anymore.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:11 PM
formontoya

yes...drone logbook: https://www.dronelogbook.com/homePage/index.php

example of log (one of my quads): https://www.dronelogbook.com/flightD...E-8CFB5662BC01

I still need to attach the video...but you get the point.
Attached Images
Old 07-07-2017, 05:03 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Tried it a few times ... even tried via Excel .... never stayed at it ...

Nigel
Wow! You're a Brit and don't keep meticulous records about everything? My experience with Brits was in amateur astronomy, where I discovered their extreme exactitude in records keeping, even to the exclusion of actually accomplishing any observing! But they always had fascinating and detailed drawings of everything they did observe....

It's refreshing to know you're different. It's probably Latvian contamination!
Old 07-07-2017, 06:13 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Wow! You're a Brit and don't keep meticulous records about everything? My experience with Brits was in amateur astronomy, where I discovered their extreme exactitude in records keeping, even to the exclusion of actually accomplishing any observing! But they always had fascinating and detailed drawings of everything they did observe....

It's refreshing to know you're different. It's probably Latvian contamination!
No -I've always been like it ....

It surprised everyone when I became Ships Officer and had to keep Log books etc.

Funny really - I was totally anti-authority and became authority !

Nigel
Old 07-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Funny really - I was totally anti-authority and became authority !

Nigel
And that's the very definition of effective authority.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:38 PM
raming
Ramin G

Default VoltSagger Alternative

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
For me, I designed the "Voltsagger" project in RCGroups a year or two ago. This unit monitors the receiver voltage, and as an added feature, records the number of flights on the model

Every one of my larger models has one installed.

VoltSagger
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2494374
One of the recent issues of Model Aviation Magazine has a good article on checking for Voltage Sag and references a "Volt Magic" Radio Control System Monitor which is available for purchase. This works much like the one you designed. I used one to look for both Voltage Sag and Signal Loss events on my Eflite P51. This popular ARF plane has 7 servos including Flaps and Retractable gear and is supported by a 30A ESC with only a 3.5A SBEC. I had two major crashes due to sudden control problems and the VoltMagic confirmed that I had major Voltage Sag events.

I log each and every flight since I learned that many of my flying 'accidents' were preventable by disciplined inspection and PM. It also helps me to plan future flights (what to practice and what to improve).
Old 07-10-2017, 08:28 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by raming View Post
One of the recent issues of Model Aviation Magazine has a good article on checking for Voltage Sag and references a "Volt Magic" Radio Control System Monitor which is available for purchase. This works much like the one you designed.

Yeah
I made a unit like the Volt Magic monitor some 8 years ago. Still have a few of them. It worked well, but like the Volt Magic unit, only let you know if your receiver voltage sagged below a certain minimum voltage.

The VoltSagger project samples the receiver voltage some 5500 times per second, and directly displays just how low the voltage sagged. I've found that my Spektrum receivers can "Brown Out" on a voltage sag of around one millisecond, so the monitor must sample far faster than 1000 times per second to pick that up. The Volt Magic unit only samples some 1200 times per second.

The direct display of just how low the voltage sagged is quite useful on my dual receiver backup supplies. The primary supply is the Castle Creations BEC's programmed to 6.5 Volts DC. The backup supply is a two cell A123 pack with a pair of silicon diodes in series with the output.

If the VoltSagger shows the voltage has dropped below 5.5 Volts, that is a direct indication something is wrong with the BEC.

(And, as something useful, the VoltSagger also records the number of flights on the model)