Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-17-2017, 01:35 AM   #1
BonesD

Friends: (0)
Default Looking for motor, esc, battery, charger advice

Hello,
I built, flew and crashed fueled planes for 25 years or so and have been out of it for at least ten. I have one favorite old plane, a Big Lift that was put together back in the 80's. Not a real challenge to fly but nice and relaxing.
I was hoping someone could direct me toward setting this up with an electric power plant and the needed controllers etc. I know nothing about this part of the hobby.
The plane ready to fly with a 120 FS on it weighed about 10 pounds. I would like something that would turn a 15/8 or 16/8 prop with reasonable authority.
Don't need anything fancy or the latest greatest. Simpler is better. If someone has used equipment I would be interested as well.
I will need a charging system also.
The plane is a high wing flat bottom with 86 or 87 inches. Weight isn't really an issue as this airfoil will fly plenty but the old engine weighed about two pounds.
Thanks for your tolerance.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #2
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Welcome, BonesD! I'm not able to give you advice on that particular plane, but someone will be along soon who can.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (11)

Contact Jeff at HeadsUpRC: https://headsuphobby-com.3dcartstores.com/crm.asp?action=contactus

Nobody can hook you up like HURC can and they won't "guess" at what you need. Great people and great prices.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 07-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

No powersystem advice but have a look at www.ecalc.ch (in 15 languages) and play with the numbers a bit.

Dedicated Q&A thread, by developer Markus Mόller. Questions will help him improve software, user interface and manual:
eCalc: Q&A for propCalc, fanCalc, heliCalc, xcopterCalc - RCG

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
• diy motor tips • Drive Calculator •
• diy motor group • Cumulus MFC •
Old 07-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

Originally Posted by BonesD View Post
...I know nothing about this part of the hobby. ...
Some well-structured reading and handy e-tools for rainy/windy days. Will save you, and us , a lot of questions. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions
Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

And please, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter. It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
• diy motor tips • Drive Calculator •
• diy motor group • Cumulus MFC •
Old 07-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
BonesD

Mark, Joe and Ron, Thanks for the tips
I will start researching.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:02 PM   #7
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
Contact Jeff at HeadsUpRC: https://headsuphobby-com.3dcartstores.com/crm.asp?action=contactus

Nobody can hook you up like HURC can and they won't "guess" at what you need. Great people and great prices.

Joe
I should have thought of that myself, but I second that recommendation. Contact those guys and tell them what you have and what you want to do.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:03 AM   #8
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (11)

+1 on Ron's suggestions. Also the watt meter is one of those tools you purchase first when you go electric. You'll use it MUCH more than you might think. And as Ron said it will pay for itself many times over in saved motors/batteries/ESC's that didn't cook because the watt meter gave you the info you needed to get your setup right.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 07-18-2017, 12:39 AM   #9
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Yep. Headsuphobby is the place to start.

For my budget planes, I like the Leopard motors. http://www.headsuphobby.com/Leopard-...ors_c_454.html

Be sure to click the "prop test data" to see what size props are appropriate for each motor, relative to what you would like to swing on your plane.

My first inclination would be the http://www.headsuphobby.com/Leopard-...or_p_2333.html on 6 cell swinging a 15x4.
That would give you a 1 to 1.3 thrust ratio and at 130 watts per pound would be well suited (probably overpowered) for a high wing, Big Lift style plane. But thats just me. Still best to ask Jeff. They are great people to do business with.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 07-18-2017, 03:02 AM   #10
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Just realized I only mentioned budget motors. If you are looking for something a bit better, I suggest Motorolfly motors. http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html. I am running a few of their DM-4315/480kv motors in 6 lb 3d planes and they are ballistic on 6s with a 16x7. May well pull the wings off the Big Lift but will certainly make it sporty. They also offer a good amount of suggestions on plane style, weight, prop size and battery cell count. Not sure if Ken over there is well versed in matching to planes like Jeff at Headsuphobby, but he certainly knows his motors. He will even custom wind them to match customer requests.

If you feel you will be back in this hobby for the long run, and seeing as you are powering a larger plane, your charger is going to be a VERY important piece of infrastructure. Try not so skimp here. You are going to want some wattage. Personally, I suggest the Revolectrix Powerlab 6 or 8 http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...pro-Chargers_2 or perhaps even the GT series. These will also require a DC power converter to feed them so be aware that they can get a bit pricey, still well worth the money in the long run.

There are some less expensive options in the charging department with new offerings coming up fairly often. Unfortunately many don't provide the wattage to get those larger batteries back in the air quickly.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems