Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Auto racing. Which series do you support?

Old 03-17-2019, 08:05 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I think its fairly universal the thinking about F1 and its present style .... but Brawn is one of the guys who set it on its course ! He just changed horses when he saw the light.

Hamilton actually had a damaged car in lap 4 and its credit to him that he managed to finish AND keep 2nd place.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:12 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I watched the F1 website info this morning. (Practice unfortunately NOT televised in USA). Nice to see the better mix up with "lower rated" teams moving up from last year. As an American of course I'm a Haas fan and it looks like they will maybe score a podium at some track if all the chips fall in their favor. The Hulk looks really strong too. What the hell happened to Kimi and Ricciardo?

To the chagrin of Hamilton fans I still maintain that ANY of the current drivers are potential winners given the right car. Case in point, Charles Le Clerc. He finished the season 13th last year with Sauber. Now with Ferrari he's already fighting for fast laps with Vettel! Bottas is a match if not then some for the Hamster at Mercedes. If Bottas beats Hamster this year Hamster should be on suicide watch as I doubt his massive ego can handle defeat a second time after 2016......(I'm a HUGE Rosberg fan)

This could actually finally become a F1 season worth watching. The only problem is that the Mercedes engine power dial is likely at only 7 of 10. They'll turn it up a click only as needed...

FIA/F1 should dyno test EVERY single engine from EVERY mfg submitted for competition regardless of team. The best performing engines should go to the last years lowest performing teams. It doesn't need to become a "spec" series. It just needs to provide more of a chance to make it worth the expenditures necessary to compete in F1 for all that want to compete. If not then I 100% support the constant B.S. we hear about a mfg. splinter series with the 3 mfg. making up that series. I say GO! Do it NOW! Let's see just how many people watch a series with a grand total of 6 cars on the track. Not me. I'll gladly watch the "best of the rest" if that's what it takes to make F1 interesting again.

Thanks to the internet there are now so many racing series available to watch. From what I read online I'm not the only one ready to abandon F1 if this season becomes yet another Mercedes/Hamilton romp. If Mercedes turn the power knob up to 10 this year then I (as well as many others) won't be watching/supporting F1 next year. Indycar is a MUCH more wheel to wheel competitive/entertaining open wheel series.

Joe
Old 03-29-2019, 11:18 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I gave up on F1 years ago. Last weekend Indycar was at COTA and there were 189 passes including 144 for position. That pretty much is the number of total passes in F1 for a season. I am just tired of prissy drivers that don't care a lick about the fans, just the big bucks and the pretty chicks that frequent the track. Has a F1 driver even signed an autograph for free in the last 10 years or even spoken to a fan at a race track?

Enough of my rant.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:34 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Love the Aussie Supercars but things are changing rather dramatically now with the Holdens not being built here and Falcons gone. I am a fan of the Mustangs myself and there were 6 in the last supercars with 2 tangling early on and 4 finishing 1st and 4th. They have real potential. Camaros just too expensive here requiring a $20,000 change over to RH drive whereas Ford do the changeover keeping costs down.
I will have a Mustang in the next couple of years when my Honda wears out.
Not sure if I will go V8 as the 2.3 dual Turbo ecoboost seems to perform extremely well, is lighter, softer ride for this old bloke, and better economy. It will be my weekend car, not my shopper. Also NOT ruling out the V8 though but it is significantly more expensive. Also haven't ruled out the Camaro entirely, but......

I gave up Colin McCrae rally driving on my PC because I suffered severe motion sickness. Haven't tried any others.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:43 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I have the V8 GT Mustang and love it. But I am an old V8 believer and fan. I have driven the four when the Mustang was in for service and it performs well but nothing like the V8. And of course the sound in not within a million miles. I am a noise junkie and the V8 rumble is the best sound known to man, short of a Radial Aircraft engine.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:03 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Much as I like Hamilton and want him to win ... LeClerc today drove fantastic and should have won ... what a devastating blow to a great drive.

I have to say that todays race was edge of the seat stuff .... lets hope it continues ..
Old 03-31-2019, 06:07 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
I just watched the Formula E race from Marrakesh this morning. Much more exciting, closer racing than F1. All nose to tail racing that F1 can't do because of the ridiculous aerodynamics. The only thing keeping Formula E from having even more overtakes is the extremely tight street courses. Formula E will be on my must watch list for 2019. If F1 is still the same old boring 6 cars at the top and the perpetual freight train with no overtakes for 2019 they will lose me and I'm sure a lot of others as fans. I need to find more Aussie Super Car and BTCC sedan class racing too. THOSE guys are entertainment! Unfortunately very little televised in the USA.

Joe
Today ... Bahrain was exciting .... touch of the old getting back in ....

Sympathy for LeClerc.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:54 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Definitely a good race today. Except for the usual ending... Leclerc was robbed. He earned the win today. Technology killed it for him though. He still made the podium and that's a big positive so soon. This kid is going far.

Joe
Old 04-01-2019, 09:28 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK ... I'm a LH supporter ... but to be honest - its not the ending I'm after ... its the racing.

This race was one of the best I have seen for years.

It reminded me of Damon Hill in the Arrows .. a car that no-one ever expected to win a race ... but DH was on his way to a win when the throttle broke and he coasted along the track ...

Thinking about DH ... LeClerc and Damon have something in common .... quiet and good demeanour given defeat. Schumacher played on DH's quietness before races ...
Old 04-01-2019, 07:20 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Bahrain definitely was one of the best F1 races in many years. Since Rosberg retired I really don't have a favorite driver now. There are many that I like but none I'm a rabid fan of yet. I tend to root for the underdog so that leaves out Mercedes.

Joe
Old 04-01-2019, 09:55 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I want to root for HAAS if they would just hire a driver that I could get behind. Maybe someone like Alex Rossi, although I would hate to see him leave Indy Car.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:08 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
I want to root for HAAS if they would just hire a driver that I could get behind. Maybe someone like Alex Rossi, although I would hate to see him leave Indy Car.
Yep. New drivers and front tire changers.

Joe
Old 04-30-2019, 07:20 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Well I thought 2019 got of to an interesting start ... then Baku !! What a boring waste of time.

Whatever are Ferrari thinking about ... it was so obvious to anyone with a brain cell that LeClerc should have finished higher even though he was driving a repaired car ... but Ferrari kept him out far too long and he lost all the time he'd built up earlier....

Vettel ... well a sore loser I reckon.

Bottas and Hamilton ... I thnk Hamilton conceding on the corner at start avoided a possible collision as Bottas I don't think would give way .. but overall - they just had to have a smooth game to see it through. Let Ferrari make the mistakes.

BORING !!
Old 04-30-2019, 08:27 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Just a typical F1 race, boring.

I used to never miss a F1 race years ago when they were broadcast the next day. There was great racing, passing and the drivers had personalities and actually spoke to the public. Now they are cosseted primadonnas (a very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance.) who cannot be bothered with the fans. They should be required to spend a week with a NASCAR driver to gain some perspective on how to relate to fans.