Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Champ loses binding

Old 01-30-2011, 04:06 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Default Champ loses binding

...and while we're at it, here's another Champ issue:

I don't like the feeling of the "video game-like" tx that comes with the Champ, so I fly it with a DX5e. Great setup! However, a slightly annoying thing is that the Champ has to be rebound to the tx every time I change batteries. Really not a big deal, but I'm wondering if something is wrong with my setup or if the Champ is hardwired to go back to the "stock" binding when it loses power.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:20 PM
SHADY
Got Glue??

As long as you turn on the Tx 1st, it should stay bound to your DX5.
If you plug in the plane batt. 1st it will go into bind mode, (flashing led).
Then you will need to rebind.

When my battery dies, I land, leave the Tx on and just switch to a fresh batt. without rebinding...

Hope that helps...
Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Hmmm... That might be the reason. The DX5e manual explicitly says it doesn't matter in what order you turn things on... Thanks!
Old 01-30-2011, 07:05 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Hmmm... That might be the reason. The DX5e manual explicitly says it doesn't matter in what order you turn things on... Thanks!

H'mmm
That's strange, try it both ways, and post your results in wattflyer. (I've got a DX7 with AR7000 receivers, they don't care which is turned on first.)
Old 01-30-2011, 07:31 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
H'mmm
That's strange, try it both ways, and post your results in wattflyer. (I've got a DX7 with AR7000 receivers, they don't care which is turned on first.)
You asked and NJSwede provides:

Shady is 100% right. If the rx doesn't detect a signal on startup, it immediately goes into binding mode. If it has a signal, it just keeps on using it. So it's a little different from how the full size rxs work.

But now that I know how it works, I won't have to rebind all the time. Thanks Shady!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

The reason for the difference is the lack of bind plug on the ultra micro stuff. If the Rx is powered up first it looks for a Tx signal and if it doesn't find one it is unbound.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:41 AM
SHADY
Got Glue??

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
You asked and NJSwede provides:

Shady is 100% right. If the rx doesn't detect a signal on startup, it immediately goes into binding mode. If it has a signal, it just keeps on using it. So it's a little different from how the full size rxs work.

But now that I know how it works, I won't have to rebind all the time. Thanks Shady!

Glad I could help.....
Old 01-31-2011, 02:48 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

hi njs,i don't understand instruction of a tx saying it doesn't matter what gets turned on first.......in my few years in this hobby i was taught to always turn the tx on first ,then power up the rx or batteries.

failure to have the tx on means servos will twich and who knows what else might supprise us.

tx first plane second...always.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:07 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Stuart: That's what the manual says. Don't have it in front of me, so I can't give you the exact quote.

But I think I know why they can say that. DMS2 seems to be based on CDMA, which means that each transmitter has is own unique and very distinct fingerprint. Either the RX "hears" that fingerprint and reacts to the information that it carries, or it doesn't hear it and does nothing (probably goes back to failsafe mode is my guess). An FM receiver can't detect lack of signal as easily and will pick up all kinds of noise if there's no signal. Hence the twitching.

(Sorry, but you unleashed the radio geek in me... :-))
Old 01-31-2011, 03:09 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

...that being said, "tx first, plane second" still seems like a smart rule... I agree.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:17 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
hi njs,i don't understand instruction of a tx saying it doesn't matter what gets turned on first.......in my few years in this hobby i was taught to always turn the tx on first ,then power up the rx or batteries.

failure to have the tx on means servos will twich and who knows what else might supprise us.

tx first plane second...always.
You're right, it's always a good idea to turn the transmitter on first, and off last. That said, the Spektrum radio system matches the transmitter internal identification number to the Spektrum receiver on your model when the system is turned on. If the Spektrum receiver does not find its corresponding transmitter, it goes to the default position for all of its servos. And, if you've properly set up the binding process, the default position includes throttle off.

And, since each Spektrum transmitter has its own unique identification number, no other transmitter, or other noise of any kind will cause the Spektrum receiver to give random servo commands. This stuff is all controlled by little microcontrollers (Microprocessor systems in an Integrated circuit) in both the transmitter and receiver.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:24 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

aaaaahhhhhh....i think I'm old school with 72 TX thinking...lol.

now everything i fly is 2.4 and the practice of TX first is by habit....i remember the day of forgetting to turn the TX on first....the plane acts possessed by ghost signals...lol.

from now on I'll have to remember the 2.4 difference,thats what i love about wattflyer,always learning something new.