Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Slo-V vs HawkSky

Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 AM
typicalmale78

Talking Slo-V vs HawkSky

Hello,
I am hoping someone on the site has experience with both of these planes. I own them both, but at this point I have only flown the Slo-V. I love flying the Slo, but the wind never seems to settle around here and that makes the Slo a handful. I was wondering if the HawkSky handles wind better considering it is a larger airframe with a more powerful motor. Thank you so much for your replies.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Doug

Originally Posted by typicalmale78 View Post
Hello,
I am hoping someone on the site has experience with both of these planes. I own them both, but at this point I have only flown the Slo-V. I love flying the Slo, but the wind never seems to settle around here and that makes the Slo a handful. I was wondering if the HawkSky handles wind better considering it is a larger airframe with a more powerful motor. Thank you so much for your replies.
I will give you a reply, but take into consideration that I am new to e-flight. I've had some experience with nitro planes, and just started back into the hobby with a HawkSky. The wind moves through my area in generally 10 mph+ and I have lived in northern IL - all the trees there grew pointing north east! Okay, to the question at hand. I've flown the HS in 10 mph wind with little problem - but it does scoot pretty good down wind! It penetrates wind well if you keep the nose down. When turning into the wind, just be ready for some nose up attitude. It will stall if you don't give it some down elevator. I don't fly at more than 3/4 throttle, just 'cause I'm still getting my reflexes back. Also, the HS likes to climb as more throttle is applied. You can trim it to fly level at 100%. but I would rather keep the trim set for cruising speed.

I've added some weight to the plane, and kept the CG according to the HS manual, and it seems to do well. It still glides forever, especially with the wind, so take that into consideration when landing. All in all, I really like the plane. Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Characteristics that make an easy trainer are often exactly what you don't want for a wind plane.
The Slo-V is terrible in wind in stock form, just awful. With some serious mods it can be made adequate.

The Hawksky is better but still not great. It has a significantly better shape, a bit more power, and is somewhat less fragile. It is still low on the power side, and has gentle controls (lacks authority) unless modified. But gentle controls are often what is needed while learning. Most folks soon add a rudder extension for better turning.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 AM
typicalmale78

Default Thanks...

Thank you guys so much for the responses. I think I will try my Hawksky when the next opportunity arises.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:42 AM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Thumbs up Hawksky/wind

This is a video of mine flying in heavy wind with major gusts! When the aircraft altitude was above the hotels she settled down alot.
http://www.youtube.com/user/FlyingBr.../1/UKj6mbpujFY

http://www.youtube.com/user/FlyingBr.../1/UKj6mbpujFY

Last edited by FlyingBrick50; 01-14-2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: REPAIR LINK
Old 01-14-2011, 03:37 PM
typicalmale78

Nice Video! I was laughing as I watched in thinking of the Slo-V in that situation. It flies more like a powered parachute then an airplane in wind. That video would have ended when the buildings were no longer in site and the V was 100 miles out at sea.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

I had a Slow-V and junked it. Useless in any wind at all and no bargain in the calm either. My micro champ is WAY better than the Slow-V.

IMHO, ANY airplane is better than the Slow-V.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:52 PM
typicalmale78

Haha wow such hatred! I actually enjoy the V on calm days. I don't know of many planes that compare to the ease of flight and relaxing mood it puts you in when there is NO wind. I havn't flown the micro you speak of, but I am sure it is a great plane as well.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Haha wow such hatred! I actually enjoy the V on calm days. I don't know of many planes that compare to the ease of flight and relaxing mood it puts you in when there is NO wind. I havn't flown the micro you speak of, but I am sure it is a great plane as well.
The Slow-V was my first airplane and I too thought it was OK... but after flying a dozen or more subsequent airplanes, I came to understand just what a poor performer the V actually is.

I predict you will experience the same "learning curve". Let's meet back here in one year to see how you feel about that airplane then, OK?

...The Bum
Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

There are a few folks that really like the SV after they modify the hell out of it. IMO if you want to do that the slow stick is way more mod friendly and overall a better platform.

It's made even lighter than the SS. With that big wing and (fragile/floppy) tail it's just a massive kite in the wind and breaks easily.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 PM
lowkeylaidback

HawkSky, hands down, take that HawkSky and upgrade the ESC (30a) and the motor (2200kv outrunner) and you will have a very, very nice aircraft that will handle plenty of wind and great on clam days
Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Horizon Hobbies/Parkzone marketed the Slo-V as a calm day (<5mph) and indoor gym flyer. It was never intended to be a wind friendly machine. It also never rivalled the popularity of and has never seen the widespread aftermarket support like the GWS SS. In some ways I'm surprised it's still around...

I really enjoyed flying my Slo-V and modified it like many others. As my first plane, it taught me to fly... and how to repair things after a crash. It was gentle enough to learn on and reasonably forgiving.

The downsides... the stock radio system is crap along with the underpowered motor. Probably the best thing for the V is to shove a BL motor up front, lipo battery, and use a good radio... but then it's no longer a Slo-V... it's GWS SS wannabe!

Whatever you do, just fly and enjoy!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 PM
typicalmale78

Well I finally maidened the ez hawk today. I must say it's night and day between it and the Slo-V. It handled 8 mph winds no problem and was a real blast to fly. I have already ordered a 2200mah battery because the included 1250 is just not enough flight time. Thank you all so much for your comments.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Well I finally maidened the ez hawk today. I must say it's night and day between it and the Slo-V. It handled 8 mph winds no problem and was a real blast to fly. I have already ordered a 2200mah battery because the included 1250 is just not enough flight time. Thank you all so much for your comments.
This is where I don't say; "I told you so"!

(All in good jest)

...The Bum